• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

mobiusclimber

https://wreg.com/2018/06/29/towns-police-chief-resigns-cites-good-ole-boy-mindset/
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/18/nyregion/testilying-police-perjury-new-york.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynwood_Vikings

There are major problems with policing in this country. And things are only getting worse and worse. Instead of holding cops accountable for their actions, they are allowed to lie, cheat and steal, murder with impunity, and just being idiots, racists and racist idiots. But when cops lie on the stand, lie to Aldermen, cover for each other, they don't just hurt the people they're perjuring themselves to convict. They also hurt the victims who haven't seen justice done; and the potential future victims that their incompetence has caused. If a cop fabricates evidence and gets an innocent person convicted, that means the actual criminal is still at large, free to commit more crimes. When you defend their indefensible actions, you send the message that this is all ok and fine and dandy. Maybe you think it is! Maybe you think "fuck it, they're just killing ____ (insert your most hated minority group here)." But that level of policing ruins the country for everyone. Keep defending that shit, and some day it'll come back around to you. Having a seizure in your car? If you don't respond to police, they might just shoot you! Deaf, and so you don't hear their commands? That's a shooting. The fact is, poor policing affects us all. Even if you are never on the receiving end of police corruption, the fact that they'll lie and fabricate evidence to put innocent people in jail means that those criminals are out there, waiting to prey on YOU! That's what it means to not hold cops accountable.

I’ve had cops fabricate evidence against me and place me in jail, I don’t like cops
That doesn’t change the fact, when someone has a gun and is told to to hold still or drop it and they make a sudden move and cop shoots, the shooting is justified
Also if a cop tells you to place your hands on the steering wheel and you decide to quickly reach for your wallet beside you and the cop shoots, it’s justified, do as your told and live, it’s really pretty simple
There are bad shooting and justified shootings
But not all shootings are bad, not all cops make mistakes but a lot of criminals do make mistakes that cost them their life
Following cop directions is the surest way to stay alive

Perhaps the police union would be a better target, mobius. Departments do prosecute bad cops, and they fire them; but they end up down the road serving in another town or getting their original job back eventually and with back pay.

Following cop directions is the surest way to stay alive

Also the surest way to get raped, and the surest way to wind up dead. But the fact is, not getting your hands up fast enough ISN'T an actual justification for murder. Not all cops, sure. We can talk about "some bad apples" but the rest of that quote is "spoils the bunch." What we have today is an understaffed, overworked, underpaid, poorly trained joke, where the majority of good officers would choose early retirement and many looking to join the police force do so because they're racists or can't get a job anywhere else. Police departments struggle with staffing, and it's become obvious that standards have slipped into the gutter. It's pretty sad when the notion that a cop should be Judge Dredd and "judge, jury and executioner." Running from cops is not a reason to get shot. Not putting your hands up fast enough is not a reason to get shot. Not following directions is also not a reason to get shot. You really don't seem to get it. You're allowing a lot of nonsense bc you don't think very highly of police or the work they do. "Go ahead and cut corners! You cops don't have a responsibility to ALL citizens, just the ones you happen to like!" It's ridiculous. Police do a very dangerous job, one which not everyone can or should attempt to do. Pay cops better, make the tests to being an officer much harder, make raises more frequent and based on job performance... hell, I'd like to see hammocks installed in police stations (for when you're stuck writing your report), and weekly massages! Anything to keep the stress level down as much as possible. But some things have to go. The unwillingness of cops to "snitch" on each other, while decrying the public's "no snitching" policy. The knee-jerk reaction of just shooting someone who isn't cooperating. Cops have training on how to deal with people in those situations but I guess it isn't enough training bc this shit is not how it's supposed to go down. If a cop can't react any better than just shooting someone, what good are they??? Anyone can solve a situation in that manner. That's not proper policing.

Perhaps the police union would be a better target, mobius. Departments do prosecute bad cops, and they fire them; but they end up down the road serving in another town or getting their original job back eventually and with back pay.

It takes an awful lot for a bad cop to actually be prosecuted. More often than not, it's just a paid vacation and a sweep under the rug. Again, policing is not a job for everyone. The police themselves need to be aware of that, and stop making excuses for the ones who can't cut it.

Let me just make this perfectly clear: I have great respect for the job that good cops do. It isn't a job I'd be qualified for. But that is my point in a nutshell. We don't pay cops to act like I would act. Anyone can go over to someone's house who's blaring music and shoot them through their garage door. The job of police is to de-escalate situations, to make sure everyone (even the criminal!) is treated fairly and safely, and to protect the community. If a cop's life isn't in actual danger, there is no reason to use lethal force. Police are trained and armed with non-lethal methods, and should be able to disarm someone with a weapon. There shouldn't be a shooting where a cop uses the South Park method of "He was comin' right for us!" as justification for taking someone's life. All avenues must be exhausted. If not, why bother having cops at all? Just arm regular citizens.

Also you are doing what you say the police do, tainting a whole class of people (cops) because of your prejudice against a few.

Myabe you should take your soapboxing down to the city park and start a dialogue about how to help cops do their jobs to lessen the possiblity of being shot when you do something stupid. Otherwise you just making alot of noise for no good reason. Monday night quarterbacking is not useful in any situation.

many looking to join the police force do so because they're racists or can't get a job anywhere else

There you go revealing your bias. Shut down Youtube, stop watching BLM propaganda, learn some actual numbers and statistics (from sources that aren't Tumblr, YT, Facebook etc) and try to form a coherent argument. Tell me, are black police officers joining up because they are racists also? Or are are you one of those who swallow the black people can't be racist because 'only prejudice plus institutional power can equal racism' bullshit?

Last edited:
Back