• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2018/03/10/19k-cat-kidney-transplant/
[....]
A University of Baltimore professor used the money to save the life of her senior cat, and she says every penny was worth it.

If cats come with nine lives, Stanley is now living off of nine more.
[....]
When the frisky feline wasn’t feeling well because of kidney problems, Boyd didn’t think twice about making him purrfect again.

“He seems almost human to me,” she explains. “He’s a friend, and I believe that this friend wanted to live, so I paid for the surgery.”

The pricetag for a new kitty kidney? Try nearly $20,000.

Boyd says she and her husband paid for the surgery out of their limited savings. They had to ditch plans for a new car.
[....]
“People who have commented online in some cases have been tacky and cruel. That’s their right,” Boyd said.

She says saving Stan has given her a new perspective on money and life. She says she would do it again, as she’s still focused on the one she calls her soulmate.

“He purrs all the time. He begs for poultry. He wakes me up at 4 a.m. for a snack. He’s happy, and we’re still very good friends,” she said.

On the road to recovery, Stanley celebrated his 18th birthday Saturday.
[....]
She now hopes this cool cat will stick around a bit longer — a present Boyd and her family says comes without a pricetag.

“Twenty-five would be great. I had always hoped for 30,” she said.

The family also adopted the 2-year-old donor cat that provided Stan’s kidney.

Boyd says she still spends hundreds of dollars on drugs and bloodwork to make sure his body doesn’t reject his new kidney.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/pets/bs-fe-cat-kidney-transplant-20180228-story.html
338x600

[....]
As a condition of the $19,000 surgery, she also adopted the kidney donor, a 2-year-old tabby named Jay, bringing the total number of felines in her household to six. Both cats are thriving post-surgery — but if Stanley were tragically to die tomorrow, Boyd said, she would have no regrets.
1050x591

[....]

The article sure isn't depraved, but it definitely is "sick".

Her cat is freaking 18 years old, he's not going to live forever. There's only a minimal chance it'll live to 25.

I love my cat to shreds, but there's no way in hell I'm paying almost $20k if she fucks up her kidney. SORRY KITTY.

20 grand would have saved a lot of cats in shelters and rescue programs.
Her perspective is tilted heavily to the side of a funhouse mirror.

I have had 8-10 at one time myself. But I've never had the finances to afford a basic vet visit much less $20,000 on a kidney transplant for a cat. But I loved my kitties nonetheless.

Mamsie, Winston Churchill, Braveheart, Jethro, Ellie May, Pugsley, Pretty Thing, And Exxon. That's all the names I remember.

Exxon showed up on the back porch as a very young, like weeks old, kitten covered in motor oil. don't know if someone tried to drown him but we never found any oil on our property. Cleaned him up with Dawn and he was as good as new.

After my kitties got their shots, that was it for vet visits. If they broke a leg or something, I’d take them in but a new kidney for a 17 yr old cat? Much cheaper and more humane to put pussy down peacefully.

The only time I put money into a cat was when my best mouser got hit by a car (I assume). Bruce didn't like being held at all, and one time when I was in the garage, he was laying on a blanket I had put on the floor for the cats. He just lay there and let me pet him, which was sort of weird. He didn't let us pet him much. I lifted him up and noticed his back leg, just hanging. His femur was broken just above the knee joint and just below the hip joint. The local vet told me he'd fix the leg for $500. Anything above that and he would write it off.

bruce-break-01.jpg

bruce-break-02.jpg

He got a pin in his leg to hold everything together. He had to spend 3 months indoors, which he absolutely hated, but he healed.
bruce-leg.jpg

bruce-pinky-04.jpg

He was probably the best outside cat I've ever had. He looked stoned half the time too.

bruce-snow-01.jpg

We had a total of 45 cats over the 14 years we lived in that house.

Shoulda put your cat down. Cruel to put an animal through the terror and pain of surgeries and recovery from injuries that severe.

And what exactly isn't sick and depraved about someone wasting that much money on a fucking cat surgery? Digusting.

I have 10 cats. Others may think I'm crazy but I know I'm not that crazy. :YOW:

I have nine and a dog named Sugar Cookie that is always getting into cat business.

Jack -14 Trouble-12 Violet-5 Autumn-4 Loki-2+ Layla-1+ Lyric-1+ Levi-1+ Wyatt-7 Months

I had a kitten, Peanut I adopted from a rescue and in three days of adopting her she passed I spent over 7 hundred dollars and the cost to put her down. The vet wanted to keep her a few more days and I had to say no.

Last edited:
I spent over 7 hundred dollars
$700+ in three days is too much. That tells me the kitty should have been put down already and not "rescued". We have to be more realistic about animals in order to help more than one.
Too much sentiment, not enough reality. How many cats could you help for that price? Or just tell some vaguely noble sentimental story about how you spent several hundred dollars in a futile effort on one kitten?

$700+ in three days is too much. That tells me the kitty should have been put down already and not "rescued". We have to be more realistic about animals in order to help more than one.
Too much sentiment, not enough reality. How many cats could you help for that price? Or just tell some vaguely noble sentimental story about how you spent several hundred dollars in a futile effort on one kitten?

I am thankful that she came to me because she was loved and I was willing to try and keep her alive. She did not appear sick and none of her litter mates became ill. I always felt that it was a reason that I chose her and because of her Wyatt, my fur baby came into my life.

I don't want to be such a downer so I will share this. My cat Levi and my son have the same name because his dad said absolutely no to the name. By the time my baby came the name grew on him so now when you say Levi to either one they think you are talking to them.

She's nuts plus it looks like she has kids
Stupid woman ...They probly never did the operations,, just made a few cuts etc
She would have been on meds anyway
Easy 20 grand for vet ..all my cats leave when their ready to die 18 20 19 years old
They might talk to me in weird way or act different and they are gone
My dogs are different I had to shot and bury my own after they started to fail they hate pissing on them selves and everyone of them knew it was OK to stop looking out for me ..they laid their head down and never fought to get away ..Its a tough choice to make but I feel if they can't be what they want to and they isolat them selves its time for me to step in ...if In the wild most just separate from the pack/ herd ..( like my cats did )
We humans can be so selfish it hurts us more but think about that animals dignity..

@Satanica
The owner of Stanley the 18-year-old cat has been forced to put down her beloved feline friend just a year after the Baltimore car received a $19,000 kidney transplant.

Stanley's owner, Betsy Boyd, told The Baltimore Sun that she made the decision to put him to sleep on Friday.

'It was such a hard decision,' she said.

She said he became ill a few weeks ago and was then diagnosed with peritonitis, a severe inflammation of the abdomen.

Dan Petrus, an internist at Atlantic Veterinary Internal Medicine and Oncology, told the newspaper that Stanley 'would not have been a good candidate for surgery' due to his age and past kidney transplant.

And though Boyd didn't want to lose her best friend, she agreed that it was for the best because she believes he 'would have suffered more'.

'Stanley was the most important friend I've ever lost, and he's a family member. I really love him on the level that I love my parents, husband, my children,' Boyd told the Baltimore Sun.

'I will miss him so much.'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ear-owner-spent-19-000-kidney-transplant.html
1545214212229.png

Meh... its her money who am I to judge? I've threw away an unbelievable amout of money on drugs, gambling and basically nothing. As far as I'm concerned the cat died a year later and that sounds just about right. Nothing left here to see.

Back