• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Athena

Buzzkill.
Frankly, I've been rather fascinated by the apparent influx of mothers to the site. I've developed my theories and, after reading a few introduction threads, it seems my theory may be accurate. But I'd hate to develop an opinion based on such limited information. So, I'm curious...Why are you here? Parent or not, I'd like to know. But, if you are a parent, have you always been interested in true crime or is it an interest that developed after having children?

As for me, I'm here because a friend suggested I check it out. I stayed because the site not only caters to my interest in depravity, but because my political interest is not shunned like it has been on other sites that are not specifically politically-oriented. I've got no kids.

Your turn! :)

I have children.
That is not why I came to this site.
I have always been interested in the psychology of criminal minds, and the attempted reasoning of sick and abusive people; probably due in part to my own fucked up childhood.
Those are the reasons I originally came to this site - the reason I stay is because I love Morbid, and I just cannot stand to be away from him for over five minutes. :D

My first child was born when I was 21, so my entire personality was formed after having children. :p

Can't say for sure when my interest in crime and the sickos that commit them came along. (I remember being totally fascinated by the whole Charles Manson thing when I was a teen though.)

Baby-hurters cause me to lose sleep, and I have to think it's due to the fact that I am a new grandmother. Re-experiencing the smells, the sounds, the sweetness that is an infant has really changed the way I look out for any hint of cruelty to those little ones that cannot defend themselves. They are helpless, and depend on us. Hurting them is the worst crime, in my eyes.

I stay around here because I hope that, eventually, some of the intelligence and humor possessed by a few of the 'regulars' might rub off on me.

What's your theory, Athena? Thinking that a lot of these new members are stay-at-home housewives with too much time on their hands? ;)

I'm here because I have always been interested in true crime. I am just nosy by nature. I always read true crime books growing up. They covered alot more than the 1 minute blurb on the local news. I think having been a victim and now a mother has only peaked my interest in crimes against children in recent years.

I like it here at DD in particular because I can be me. I don't have to pray for anyone or forgive them. I can use profanity gratuitously. I get to make fun. The IQ level here seems to be above average.

Plus, I've made a few friends here. And the good thing about internet friends is, I can turn off my PC when I've had enough of you all. :p

Yet somehow, I stay logged on...

I never really was into true crime, I always have enjoyed morbidity.
I found this site after searching for info on Megan Meier. I had a disagreement with Hippie over my usage of the word cunt and the term "beef curtains" (we have since become friends). I was intrigued by the posts as well as the posters. I usually log on at work, helps time go faster. I always find something interesting to read. My kids have no baring on my interest, I do hug and kiss them even more though, they may require therapy!

What's your theory, Athena? Thinking that a lot of these new members are stay-at-home housewives with too much time on their hands? ;)

Well, that's common knowledge. Worthless stay-at-home gender-traitors, ingratefully turning down all the opportunities feminists bravely carved out for us, only to neglect their children by spending all their fucking free time on this site...Why don't you take your kids to the park, you vapid baby machines!

...kidding, kidding. My mom was a stay-at-home mom and I fully intend to do the same, at least 'til the kids are in school, assuming I ever find a man decent enough to impregnate me and let me cater to some babies for a few years before returning to paycheck duty. ;)

Actually, I do think that, despite what some of these folks are saying, there is a strong correlation between having children and an interest in true crime. Obviously, having kids is not a requirement (as plenty of members are childless), but I've spent enough time on message boards to know that it's more than a matter of having spare time to kill. Boards like B-D are severely lacking a faction of stay-at-home-moms, depite being geared toward that which is depraved, for example. If it was just a matter of spare time, every site would be crawling with moms. But, it's not. It's more than that.

Last edited:
I became interested in true crime when i was peripherally involved in a high profile murder case as a teenager. (No, i wasn't a suspect.) But even before that I had wanted to know why people did horrible things to each other. It's always been a part of me, since I was very small. I've always wanted to know why people hurt each other. What is it that makes humans want to do those things?

As I grew up I just wanted to know how people did what they did. How did my friend organize and carry out a brutal murder in front of witnesses? He was seventeen years old. He gave me a three-foot tall bunny card for my birthday. He was nice to me, and brutal in his orchestration of the killing of a boy we both knew. So there was that, as well.

After my daughter was born I knew that I had to spend more time finding out the whys of the bad things so I could keep them from happening to her. I wasn't always successful, but the more time I spent looking at people the more I wanted to know - how do their brains work? Why do they do such awful things? Why are they so mean to each other? The answer, usually, seems to be "because it's fun" or "because they can". It's fascinating.

I fell here because I hated the stuffy board-etiquette and self-righteous whining of the true crime genre in general. I'd been here about a month when Morbid sucked me in with promises of lollipops and couch time and all the internet boyfriends I could handle. So far I've had one date, and it was with the couch, but I'm stayin'.

/longwind :)

Last edited:
Is there a limit on the number of letters in our profile title?

Because I totally want to change "Wineglass-Toting Psycho" to "Worthless Stay-At-Home Gender-Traitor". :yes:

I found this site when I was researching the Caffey murders and just knew it was meant to be. :bad:

I have grown tired of having to be polite and politically correct when posting on other crime forums. I don't like my news censored and sugar coated. I like the nitty gritty details and all the dirt on the scumbags I can get my hands on. :diablo:

I am a psychologist and always had that interest as a child. I have a need to know what makes people tick; in particular people who commit heinous crimes. I love exploring the dark side of human nature.

Being married to a cop for 22 years just added fuel to the fire I guess. Although I was always interested in true crime I have spent the last year and a half researching teen violence with a few colleagues. That is why I am following the Caffey murders so closely and what brought me here. My interest in teen violence did stem from the fact that I am a mother to 4 teens though.

Is there a limit on the number of letters in our profile title?

Because I totally want to change "Wineglass-Toting Psycho" to "Worthless Stay-At-Home Gender-Traitor". :yes:

Really? Because I happen to think "Vapid Baby Machine" has a better ring to it AND is guaranteed to fall under any character limitations... :p

Its a place that despite the lack of censorship is not populated at all by juvenile abusers of that wich inhabitate the rest of the net(Ohhh you said a potty word on the internet, aint you the coolest!), Awsome true crime and oddities stories, 3 topic's discussion with people making intelligent points for the many diferent views(thats so rare), Good media news and discussion and a consistent group of fantastic members, What more could I ask for?

I came here when Bloody-Disgusting was hacked and kept on coming back.

I keep on coming back because the stories, people, and debates are usually pretty interesting. It's a great place to lurk and kill time.

Really? Because I happen to think "Vapid Baby Machine" has a better ring to it AND is guaranteed to fall under any character limitations... :p

If Zora doesn't want 'Vapid Baby Machine', can I have it? I kinda think I've earned it after birthing six little angels with horns, and not killing even ONE of them. :D :p

Via Time Travel. I'm actually from the year 1983.... this whole internet phenomenon has me intrigued, however I feel it is a fad that will pass in a few years.

~Kyle

And in case someone actually wants an answer that is "correct" or "coherent" ... I work with one of the members (Mike). We work at the same video store. He told me about it one day and said I should check it out. I singed up and haven't left since.

I like it here because its not over populated (I've been on forms so big that when you make a topic in the amount of time it takes you to hit the refresh button its already been pushed back three pages) and its not overran by 13 year old kids with the "133 speak" bullshit (is that even whats its called?). Plus people don't jump all over you for having an opinion (except when its about Rob Zombie, you fuckers!). I like it here.

Plus people don't jump all over you for having an opinion (except when its about Rob Zombie, you fuckers!). I like it here.

LMAO... :p

I'm sorry. Not because I'm one of the people who jumped all over you about Rob Zombie, but because I would have been had I noticed. :eek:

Well, I found this lovely site because I was googling Caren Kohberger. Her case intrigued me mainly because of the fact that she appeared like a completely normal person that didn't seem to have anything wrong with her. I haven't read anything that says she has a drug addiction or alcohol addiction. Her only flaw was that she seemed to have an internet addiction and unlike alcohol and drug addiction, the internet doesn't alter your perception of reality. It appears she lived solely for her internet while most people can draw the line and walk away to care for their children while Caren seemed to not be able to do just that. Most of the people that kill babies end up having had serious mental problems that were evident for a long time, they have drug problems and alcohol problems. These are people we expect to fail in parenting and I've been dealing with people on the internet for a long time, it just seemed to come as a shock to me that she did this.

I am actually from a different internet site though, which is why I was mainly surprised with Caren. I have run numerous rating sites, some that were popular but nothing that compares to myspace or anything. Currently I am a Moderator for a website that deals with internet copyright laws and photo theft. I do this because of a personal experience with a person who was claiming to be a teenager online and ended up being a 55 year old pedophile. It's kinda boring and it's very drama filled, lots of immature teens and adults on the site but I do feel like I am accomplishing something by helping to remove these people from rating sites.

Anyways, I've always loved true crime however since I've had Jakob, I've been more sensitive to a lot of the subjects dealing with child deaths. I am always fascinated with the dirty details and what makes these people commit such heinous crimes but I haven't been on here long and already needed to take a bit of a break from it. So if anything, I think that it would've been better if I had found this site before I had Jakob because I have a hard time looking at some of the things posted here.

Off topic for a sec?

Why do Morbid and Killroy have the same avatar? Are they the same person? If not, who IS the evil grinning guy (or who nabbed that pic for avatar first)? kthxbai

After my daughter was born I knew that I had to spend more time finding out the whys of the bad things so I could keep them from happening to her. I wasn't always successful, but the more time I spent looking at people the more I wanted to know - how do their brains work? Why do they do such awful things? Why are they so mean to each other? The answer, usually, seems to be "because it's fun" or "because they can". It's fascinating.

I fell here because I hated the stuffy board-etiquette and self-righteous whining of the true crime genre in general. I'd been here about a month when Morbid sucked me in with promises of lollipops and couch time and all the internet boyfriends I could handle. So far I've had one date, and it was with the couch, but I'm stayin'.

/longwind :)

Yep-- for me it was the birth of my son (he's my oldest), but other than that, I could have written the first paragraph. I think I said as much in my newbie post!

I'm also with you on the stuffy boards. I only belong to one other board, and it's private so we can cuss to our hearts content. Oh, and I really, really enjoy the smart, articulate posts that have really neat stuff, like paragraphs and intelligible grammar. I hope it catches on in other venues some day!

I want to know where I sign up for the lollipops. I wasn't aware that was one of the benefits of signing up. I'm not asking about the couch, cause, well... I'm a bit askeered of it!

Why do Morbid and Killroy have the same avatar? Are they the same person? If not, who IS the evil grinning guy (or who nabbed that pic for avatar first)? kthxbai

We are the same person. Long story.

I am also a B-D'er that comes over to hear people talk about things other than how much better their taste in film is than yours. :D

Seriously, I am not a huge true crime nut, but slowly I have actually started reading the threads put up by the members here. I can appreciate the care and thoroughness that goes into most of these threads and enjoy the thoughtful and very heartfelt responses that are generated. While so far I have yet to really contribute much to the site, I can see myself staying here for a while. Everyone, in chat and on the board, not only has been very respectful, regardless of opinion, but also very welcoming.

So, I guess seeing as how I really never did an intro thread like a lot of people here did, Hi Everybody!

Yes, I am a parent. Not a Mr. Mom, but one can wish!

I'm here mainly cause I like to make fun of those that deserve it! And I like to call people names. It is damn near impossible for me to be PC and to watch my mouth. I feel right at home here. :p

I've been interested in true crime since I was about 13. I read a story about the boy in the box (http://americasunknownchild.net/default.htm) and wondered how someone could just throw another human being away, kinda like a used Kleenex. That is one unsolved mystery that has stayed with me from the start.

Back