• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
https://www.cnet.com/news/woman-wrecks-200000-worth-of-art-while-trying-to-take-selfie/
[....]
The Los Angeles Times said of the Hypercaine exhibition laid on by Hong Kong-based artist Simon Birch and other international collaborators: "Oh, the selfies you'll make at L.A.'s 14th Factory, where the art is so social."

Perhaps one particular visitor was especially moved by the Times' entreaty.

For, as surveillance footage shows, she went to sit down with her back to one of the pieces, ready for her closeup.

She seemed to lose her balance momentarily. She leaned back a little too much. Sadly, she leaned into one piece that then created a domino effect that demolished a whole row of the exhibit.

The crowns that had been perched on pedestals fell to the ground. There's modern symbolism there somewhere, surely.
[....]
three sculptures were permanently damaged and others to varying degrees. She put the approximate damage cost at $200,000. The 14th Factory wouldn't be drawn on whether the damage was covered by insurance but said the nonprofit wasn't behind the emergence of the video.

The exhibit is only in the organization's temporary space until the end of the month, so the incident might attract some to see if they can successfully take selfies without destroying anything.
[....]

You're supposed to look and enjoy, not take selfies and destroy. The oblivious generation.:bag:

Love how the individual, (presumably the artist) throws his arms up as he takes in the row down. Crowns? I bet he wanted to crown her and not in a good way.

Last edited:
Uhh... it looks like a bunch of boxes fell over and crowns fell down. Tip them back up... put the crowns back on... poof... fixed.

Why would someone have an "installation valued at $200,000" and not anchor any of it. Then encourage selfies. Unless the "accidental" domino affect was intended to be part of the whole thing.
Either the anonymous selfie lady caused the accident intended all along - (how edgy!) or she was a plant doing her job.

Last edited:
Why would someone have an "installation valued at $200,000" and not anchor any of it. Then encourage selfies. Unless the "accidental" domino affect was intended to be part of the whole thing.
Either the anonymous selfie lady caused the accident intended all along - (how edgy!) or she was a plant doing her job.
I wonder if a insurance company went along with this. I'm sure if they covered a $200,000 piece of art they would have made them take the proper precautions to avoid this, so I'm thinking this piece wasn't covered or the art house probably voided the insurance by encouraging selfies.

Just because someone claims it's worth $200K doesn't mean it is insured for that amount. Why should we believe a valuation based on a PR release?
In my town there are several sculptures donated by the artist, claiming they are valued at $30K each. But I suspected they were donated because no one would buy that crap.

Not to be That Person but it's an installation and if the artist intended to display it in multiple places, they probs wouldn't secure it for ease of moving later and depending on how heavy the pedestals are, I buy the part about damages. It's art, it doesn't have to be literally crushed to bring down value, dents and scratches are enough in something that minimal. Aesthetics, etc

Back