• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

gatekeeper

Loves the "Funny" Button
Please let me know if this has been done somewhere else and we can pull it, and perhaps, start up the old one again if anyone's interested?

Since the old IRC, mIRC and "Prodigy" days (*groan!*), people have always loved to share their favorite music with others, no matter the genre. On several of the forums I've been with, and a couple I'm still involved with, there are always a few of folks like me who like to play DJ and "spin the vinyl" (ha!), make playlists for folks, etc. But here (without insult to the former, of course), since you guys are all astute, intelligent, creative and fun adults with few, if any, kiddos posting here, I thought it might be neat for any interested members to post their own fav. songs, playlists, tracks, homemade musical compilations, etc. Maybe post a little blurb about why you like the song, what it reminds you of, stuff like that.

K. If you think it's goofy and boring, I get it; if it's been done, we'll have it nuked, but if music of any/all varieties has been an integral part of your life like it has mine and you wanna post some, groovy bay-bey. 8-B <---- Either Austin Powers or Spongebob.

My personal musical tastes run the gamut from Classical, Opera, Acapella Solo/Arai/Choral, Fine Performance and Formal Choral arrangements, to dirty, dirty, Southern Blues, Jazz and R & B, to 50's - mid 90's pop, all Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Acid Rock, Heavy Metal, Grunge, Alternative, Punk, Pop Country, some Screamo, *good* old-school Hip-Hop, and well, you get the idea. So, that's me.

Supposed to be beautiful today, so the Cabriolet top comes down, and I'm gonna pop in an old early 80's compilation CD I made that's always a good choice to get me in a happy mood (kinda like Bach, but reeeeeally different, lol). Don't know why I started with these guys, but anyone remember Triumph? They're great when I'm in a Triumph, Cheap Trick, Yes, kinda mood. If you're a pop rock fan, a little bubble-gummy, but really great, perk you up & getcha goin' music to cruise to work with. Best if you crank it and try to blow your Subs whilst pissing off the masses at stoplights. 18 Gold and 9 Platinum ain't half bad, either. ;)

Magic Power" - by Triumph

Lyrics:

Somethin's at the edge of your mind
You don't know what it is
Somethin' you were hopin' to find
Your not sure what it is

Then you hear the music
And it all comes crystal clear
The music does the talkin'
Says the things you want to hear

I'm young, I'm wild
And I'm free
I got the magic power
Of the music in me

I'm young, I'm wild
And I'm free
I got the magic power
Of the music in me

She climbs into bed, she pulls the covers overhead
And she turns her little radio on
She's had a rotten day so she hopes
The D J's gonna play her favorite song

It makes her feel much better
Brings her closer to her dreams
A little magic power
Makes it better that it seems

She's young now, she's wild now
She wants to be free
She gets the magic power
Of the music from me

She's young now, she's wild now
She wants to be free
She gets the magic power
Of the music from me

If you're thinkin' it over
But you just can't sort it out
Do you want someone to tell you
What they think it's all about?

Are you the one and only who's sad and lonely
You're reachin' for the top
Well the music keeps you goin'
And it's never gonna stop

It's never gonna stop
It's never gonna, never gonna
Never gonna, never gonna
Never gonna stop

The world is full of compromise
The infinite red tape
But the music's got the magic
It's your one chance for escape

So turn me on, turn me up
It's your turn to dream
A little magic power
Makes it better than it seems

I'm young now, I'm wild now
I want to be free
I got the magic power
Of the music in me

I'm young now, I'm wild
And I'm free
I got the magic power
Of the music, I got the music in me

I got the power, I got the magic
She's got the power, she's got the magic

Songwriters
LEVINE, MIKE / MOORE, GIL / EMMETT, RIK

Hold On" - by Triumph

Lyrics:

Music holds the secret
To know it can make you whole
It's not just a game of notes
It's the sounds inside your soul

Magic of the melody
Runs through you like a stream
The notes that play flow through your head
Like a dream, like a dream

I sing this song for the common man
For the people in despair
I bring my song into the world
And I sing it everywhere

The simple truth lies waitin' here
For everyone to share
So hold on, and I will take you there
Hold on and I will take you there

Daily routine takes your soul
Lost without a trace
It hold you down and turns you 'round
And puts you in your place

Another day, another dollar
Another pretty face
Another chance to lose yourself
In the endless race

Hold on, hold on to your dreams
Hold on, even though it seems
Everyone around you has their little schemes
Listen to your heart and hold on to your dreams

Can't you feel the magic?
Feel it everywhere
Can't you hear the music?
There's something in the air

There's a celebration
Deep within a song
Celebrate this feeling
You know it can't be wrong

Hold on, hold on to your dreams
Hold on, even though it seems
Everyone around you has their little schemes
Listen to your heart and hold on to your dreams

Hold on, hold on
Hold on, hold on

Caught up in routine, you got to break it
Time won't wait for us, we got to make it
Fate gives you the chance, you've got to take it, take it

Hold on, hold on
Hold on, hold on
Hold on, hold on
Hold on, hold on

Songwriters
LEVINE, MIKE / MOORE, GIL / EMMETT, RIK

Last edited:
gatekeeper! You spied on my mind! I was thinking about asking my hoes, man-whores and minions in Chat for their favorite songs just last night. I elevate you to the status of minion!

My offering is my favorite song, "Curious Soul" by kd lang. I can't c&p on this Chrome thing.

When I was a child
My dreams ran wild
Thru fields of disobey
wandering, wondering,
wanting it all
A curious soul alone.

When I was a child
My heart ran wild
Thru fields of disobey
Loving and laughing,
Longing to fall
A curious soul alone

I ran with a passionate story
I ran for the wisdom and glory
Away, away I ran
Wondering, wandering
Wanting it all
A curious soul alone.

gatekeeper! You spied on my mind! I was thinking about asking my hoes, man-whores and minions in Chat for their favorite songs just last night. I elevate you to the status of minion!

My offering is my favorite song, "Curious Soul" by kd lang. I can't c&p on this Chrome thing.

When I was a child
My dreams ran wild
Thru fields of disobey
wandering, wondering,
wanting it all
A curious soul alone.

When I was a child
My heart ran wild
Thru fields of disobey
Loving and laughing,
Longing to fall
A curious soul alone

I ran with a passionate story
I ran for the wisdom and glory
Away, away I ran
Wondering, wandering
Wanting it all
A curious soul alone.

Lol!! Happy to be a minion (hell, I'd be happy to be a whore, too, for that matter, lol. Steenkin' morality bs anyway :D). I knew I couldn't be the only myooozik lover in the House. KD is the shit. Gonna listen to her as soon as these blasted ppl stop running in & out my door asking ridiculous questions. I'm Staff Ed. fss. Wth would I have a patient's floor chart for? Gah! I guess they don't know I added D'D to my job description. Big dummies. :rolleyes:

At one time I could clear a barroom by singing "Bull By The Horns"! I guess I could proclaim myself a true "dirty-shirt cowgirl"...I have assisted at foalings, scraping hooves, shoeing, colic doctoring(Pawpaw did the hard work, I just tried not to get killed), toting bales of hay and whacking mice in the tack room. I must write a blog post about Why I Hate Horses! I have been bit, kicked, bucked off, rolled in a mudhole and had my nose broke by a mare called Sugar. More like Satan's Steed.

Got the bull by the horns
On a downhill drag
Things are better than they ever have been
Missed a lotta lovin' on my first go-round
But I'm nevah gonna do that again!
Oh No, nevah gonna do that again!

This is a kinda, not so kinda new Canadian group - and we love them!

Saw them live when they did the pre-game party for the Grey Cup last year, and they also played during the game.

This one I love, because it just makes me feel good - the guitar in this song is so fun sounding!!

This one is good too - another fun song!!

@carolinablue , I knew I recognized that song. Last cigarette, too. Any self-respecting country bar worth a damn plays KD. The ones who don't aren't worth going to. *raspberry*

@WannaBeMaybe , thx! Good cruisin' music, catchy, too. In the 2nd song, the stop-gap video animation w/the dolls was funny. Re: the guitar, I don't know what effect/peddle they were using w/the amps, but I kept looking for a guy on keyboards, lol.

I cannot believe I got my "peddle" and my pedal mixed up, lol. Dingbat needs to get over the insomnia run. :bag:

@WannaBeMaybe , thx! Good cruisin' music, catchy, too. In the 2nd song, the stop-gap video animation w/the dolls was funny. Re: the guitar, I don't know what effect/peddle they were using w/the amps, but I kept looking for a guy on keyboards, lol.[/QUOTE]

If I was my brother, who knows WAY more about music then I ever will (he's toured the world with his band years ago and now does lights/sound for big concerts in Vancouver BC AND plays every instrument ever created) he's suggest it was a really 'dirty' reverb pedal mixed with a really fancy whammy bar technique. I think.... lol

@gatekeeper , you're a music lover too! It doesn't matter the genre as long as it's good. There's so much I would like to share and my preferences are all over the place, as well, but my first selection is more about interpretation than the music itself (though the music IS good IMO).

Three years ago, Andrew Lloyd Webber did a 25th Anniversary production of Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall in London. This one emphasizes a "bizarre love triangle" between Christine and the Phantom and Raoul. The demented, tortured Phantom desperately loves Christine and tries to claim her for himself, while Christine's love is split between the Phantom (deeper, yet taboo love of which she does not understand, is afraid of, and ultimately that which cannot happen) and Raoul (sweeter love, socially acceptable love, protector figure).

"Past the Point of No Return" occurs in the Don Juan Triumphant opera performance within the musical. Christine thinks she's performing with fellow production member Piangi and her passion and seduction are all part of a stage act. But it's not Piangi! Unbeknownst to Christine, she's really performing with the Phantom! A set-up from the beginning, Past the Point of No Return was penned by the Phantom so he could share a moment with Christine that otherwise would only be in his fantasies.

If you watch the clip, Christine is fully unaware it's the Phantom until @ 4:50, then the Phantom's fantasy comes crashing down and his emotions shift from ecstasy to sadness and lovelorn desperation.

Keep an eye on the Phantom's hands. Damn! He's downright steamy. ;)

PHANTOM: Passarino - Go away for the trap it is set and waits for it's prey.
You have come here
In pursuit of your deepest urge
In pursuit of that wish which till now
Has been silent
Silent.

I have brought you
That our passions may fuse and merge
In your mind you've already succumbed to me, dropped all defenses
Completely succumbed to me
Now you are here with me
No second thoughts
You've decided
Decided.

Past the point of no return
No backward glances
Our games of make-believe are at an end.

Past all thought of "if" or "when"
No use resisting
Abandon thought and let the dream descend

What raging FIRE shall flood the soul
What rich desire unlocks it's door
What sweet seduction lies before us?

The final threshold
What warm unspoken secrets
Will we learn
Beyond the point of no return?

CHRISTINE:
You have brought me
To that moment when words run dry
To that moment when speech disappears
Into silence
Silence.

I have come here,
Hardly knowing the reason why
In my mind I've already imagined
Our bodies entwining
Defenseless and silent,
Now I am here with you
No second thoughts
I've decided
Decided.

No going back now
Our passion-play has now at last begun.

Past all thought of right or wrong
One final question
How long should we two wait before we're one?

When will the blood begin to race
The sleeping bud burst into bloom
When will the flames at last CONSUME us?

BOTH: Past the point of no return
The final threshold
The bridge is crossed
So stand and watch it burn
We've passed the point of no return.

PHANTOM:(soft and sort of saddened)
Say you'll share with me
One love, one lifetime
Lead me, save me from my solitude

Say you want me
With you here
Beside you
Anywhere you go
Let me go too
Christine that's all I ask of...
(Christine tears the mask, showing his face to the audience)

Last Cigarette. I've seen drunk as Cooter Brown men cry along with this. Especially Saturday night at Alligator Bayou!
Anyone up for a c&p? You have to hear Ms Chatelaine sing it!

The coffee's all gone
And my eyes burn like fire
You said you'd call me
But you haven't yet
And I'm down to my last cigarette
I can't leave this room
You might call while I'm gone
The minutes seem like hours
Soon will be dawn
And on top of all my tears and regrets
I'm down to my last cigarette

If I was my brother, who knows WAY more about music then I ever will (he's toured the world with his band years ago and now does lights/sound for big concerts in Vancouver BC AND plays every instrument ever created) he's suggest it was a really 'dirty' reverb pedal mixed with a really fancy whammy bar technique. I think.... lol

Sorry @gatekeeper - I totally buggered up quoting you and this was meant for you!

What a nice surprise, lol! I am not kidding when I say I truly enjoy/appreciate African acapella, drum, and indigenous colonial/tribal music of all kinds. I've heard some pieces that are actually syncretizations of both (South African origin). Your military piece has a great cadence, and reminds me of some of the old African/Afro-Carribean "work" songs. Rhodesia has such an interesting history, I'm not surprised it has its own military musical catalog. Salute! :)

I wish I was more tech-inclined. My son's last performance at the Kansas City Lyric Opera House with the K.C. Young Men's Choir included a wonderful set of three African drum/tribal songs that got standing ovations from a packed house. I know colonial/military and tribal music are very different birds, so thank you for the cultural exposure. I'd love to know the words/translation if they're available. (?)

@WannaBeMaybe , thx! Good cruisin' music, catchy, too. In the 2nd song, the stop-gap video animation w/the dolls was funny. Re: the guitar, I don't know what effect/peddle they were using w/the amps, but I kept looking for a guy on keyboards, lol.

If I was my brother, who knows WAY more about music then I ever will (he's toured the world with his band years ago and now does lights/sound for big concerts in Vancouver BC AND plays every instrument ever created) he's suggest it was a really 'dirty' reverb pedal mixed with a really fancy whammy bar technique. I think.... lol[/QUOTE]

If I was my brother, who knows WAY more about music then I ever will (he's toured the world with his band years ago and now does lights/sound for big concerts in Vancouver BC AND plays every instrument ever created) he's suggest it was a really 'dirty' reverb pedal mixed with a really fancy whammy bar technique. I think.... lol[/QUOTE]

Awesome (re: your bro)! The boy child was/is a savant when it comes to anything guitar (he's an Asperger's kid), but no other instruments. He'd no doubt talk your brother's ear off about band stuff, lol. Re: the song, I think you're right, maybe some sort of tremolo, string tap/slide and whammy bar effect. Makes for a unique sound. :)

@Kittyskyfish , thank you SO much for the set up, lyrics, clip and info. about the adaptation! You really can't go wrong with Webber. He's what Bob Fosse is to dance, IMHO. No joke, it went from sweet and forlorn, to coy, to "steamy" (yes, "the hands," lol!), to hopeful, to angst and heartbreak all in one piece! But I'm guessing that's why you chose it. The lyrics are beautiful, and my favorite parts were their duet and then his empassioned plea to Christine at the end before she unveils/unmasks him. I wanted more!

Last Cigarette. I've seen drunk as Cooter Brown men cry along with this. Especially Saturday night at Alligator Bayou!
Anyone up for a c&p? You have to hear Ms Chatelaine sing it!

The coffee's all gone
And my eyes burn like fire
You said you'd call me
But you haven't yet
And I'm down to my last cigarette
I can't leave this room
You might call while I'm gone
The minutes seem like hours
Soon will be dawn
And on top of all my tears and regrets
I'm down to my last cigarette

*applause* Hmmm, if it happens to be on the karaoke list at your favorite place, maybe you could tape yourself and/or Ms. Chatelaine and grace us w/it? :)

@carolinablue 's post whetted my appetite for some good, old, fun, shit kickin' Country this morning. Here's three of the songs that were popular when I moved to Clovis, CA for a few years. I remember singing the first one tooling throught the salt flats of Utah while also trying to hold my nose at the same time. By the time I hit the hills around Salt Lake, I had to pull over, jump out of the Ryder moving truck and toss my cookies from stinky salt flats and *much* more altitude than I'd ever been used to in the plains, lol. Good times. EDIT: I can't get the last two to embed as MEDIA, so they're just showing up as links to their videos. :(

"Fishin' in the Dark" ~ by The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band"

Lyrics in video:

"Queen of My Double Wide Trailer" ~ by Sammy Kirshaw

Lyrics:

Well I met her out at Murphy's restaurant
She said she was fresh from the farm
And I remember thinkin' for a country girl
That she went pretty well armed
We sat there talkin' by the lobster tank
I ordered her a sloe gin fizz
And when them chicken fried steaks arrived
She said I like living like this

So I made her the queen of my double wide trailer
With the polyester curtains and the redwood deck
Now she's run off and I've got to trail her
Dang her black heart and her pretty red neck

Well a few nights later I run into her
With some stranger on a park bench
She said he rebuilds engines and his name is Earl
He's the Charlie Daniels of the torque wrench
I whispered honey let's just go on home
And have some onion rings and watch TV
And as I walked her to the truck
Earl was cryin' don't you leave me
I told him

This here's the queen of my double wide trailer
Sometimes shes runs and I've got to trail her

I said this is the queen of my double wide trailer
Sometimes she runs and I've got to trail her

I said this is the queen of my double wide trailer
Sometimes she runs and I've got to trail her

She's the Queen
She's the Queen

"Don't Go Near the Water" ~ by Sammy Kirshaw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_EUCOc57yA

Lyrics:

Your momma used to worry bout' that big muddy river,
Hunny do you remember?
You let the screen door slam as you
stepped off the front porch,
ya hear ya momma callin' "Don't be late"
And I could hear ya daddy Hollar
"Son she's my only daughter"
You'd stick your nose in the Honey Suckle
down by the gate. I can still hear your momma
callin "Don't go near the water"

We fell right in way over our heads,
but we didn't go near the water,
A love and deep so young a sweet
and the nights got hotter and hotter.
We sho' Nuff gettin our feet wet momma,
but we didn't go near the water.

You hear the rockin' chair squeakin as
you sneak up the back stairs, momma waitin
like a grizzly bear
but you had to get the Honey Suckle outta yo' hair.
But in the morrnin light, We looked her
right in the eyes, and it wasn't a lie,
We didn't go near the water.

A love and deep, So young and sweet,
We Sho' nuff' gettin our feet wet momma,
but we didn't go near the water

but we didn't go near the water,
A love and deep so young a sweet
We sho' Nuff gettin our feet wet momma,

Your momma used to worry bout that
big Muddy river,
She should have worried bout me.
Cause we were sho' nuff gettin our feet
wet momma but we didn't go near the
water

Didn't go near the water (x 2).

And lastly, even though this one is a cover, these guys did a great job with it, IMNSHO. This one isn't the studio cut, but it also has the lyrics in the vid. "Maria" ~ by Brooks & Dunn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksJ7JnUY6ug

Last edited:
Good morning, everyone! Here's a gem that runs in small crowds. I became aware of "Goodnight" through Erasure's Other People's Songs album and I listened to it constantly after my siamese cat Kittyskyfish passed away from cancer. Erasure's version is very beautiful but their heavy synth sound is not so universal. So, I'm providing "Goodnight" in two versions (in case the keyboards send you running lol), Cliff Eberhardt's original and Erasure's cover:

Cliff Eberhardt:

Erasure:

Sleepless nights don't bother me at all
If dawn comes I won't worry
Something deep inside keeps me awake
I wish that you were here right beside me

I recall when I was very young
And could not go to sleep
My father sang me songs to make me tired
But memories don't make it easier

So goodnight wherever you are sleeping
And I hope that if you dream you dream of me

Now I lie awake and it's no fun
Tossing and turning
I'd call you if it weren't so very late
But telephones don't bring you close to me

I recall the times we stayed up late
Wide awake but still dreaming
There was nothing on this earth could make me tired
But memories don't make it easier

And I hope that if you dream, if you dream, you dream of me
And I hope that if you dream, if you dream, you dream of me

Ah, the Zulu. So misunderstood here in the U.S. thanks to the 70's horror movie genre. I listened to this collection on the way into work this morning. Very relaxing, yet happy, almost soothing in the way only continental African music can be. I've always loved the "cantor" or soloist followed by the rest of the choral singers singing (answering) in canon. If I'm remembering correctly, I think I read a post where you said you had a Ndebele nanny as a child? I'm guessing you have fond memories before things changed. Thanks for this morning's great "mood" music. I'm sure the ppl in my first retraining inservice will appreciate my "grounded" demeanor, lol.

@Kittyskyfish - OMG, awesome choice! The lyrics are right ON. Funny you should choose Depeche Mode. Love, love, love to "trance dance" to synthpop when I just wanna get lost and have some fun.

When you posted Erasure the other day, I pulled another comp. CD I made from my old cassettes years ago, and had so much fun dancing around to their album, "The Innocents" (Chains of Love is my fav.), along w/Depeche Mode, Echo and the Bunny Men, Flock of Seagulls, Thompson Twins, Culture Club, Tears for Fears (♡♡), and tons more 80's pop/club & Brit. Synthpop bands. Believe it or not, I still have quite a few of my glitzed out, sexy "Madonna" style outfits, dresses, heels & boots w/all the mega-accessories, and they still fit! Of course, I'd look pretty ridiculous in my "Studio 54" club clothes now, but I can't bear to get rid of the rest of what my Punk daughter hasn't stolen from me yet, lol. Excellent song, and perfect timing. I'll bet if they'd run this genre through the loudspeakers, a lot of folks might just take a break from the drama and bullshit, and start dancing. Ah, dare to dream. :)

Last edited:
@gatekeeper - I can't believe you made CDs of your mixtapes! awesomeeeeee!! We listened to similar artists at that time. I remember having a large collection of 12" Depeche Mode since they did a lot of extended and alternate releases of their singles. Some of my other favorites from the day were Fishbone, Oingo Boingo, New Order, The Cure, Models, Yello, Art of Noise, Siouxsie and the Banshees... Sad that I didn't hold onto my 80's clothing, not that I could get into them again but I'd love a trip down memory lane by looking at the garb that filled my closets back in those high school days. :) I hope your daughter doesn't copy all the looks lol. No one needs to scrunch layer their socks! *rolls t-shirt sleeves, pegs zip-ankle Guess jeans until my my feet lose bloodflow, and slips into Vans*

Now I'm in the mood for some Cold War music!

Remember these?

Yup! SSS was a club standard. And, I've got Oingo Boingo, The Banshees, and of course, the one and only, "The Cure" on my CD's, too. Dtr. Is a "Cure-ator" and has a six foot poster of them in between her giant posters of The Ramones and the Sex Pistols in her "tribute" room in their finished basement. The walls are literally papered in music posters, t-shirts, concert ticket stubs, you name it. It's like walking into a time warp (except for the newer Rockabilly pics/posters), etc. Never thought I'd hear Johnny Cash doing Nine Inch Nails, but it's actually amazing ("Hurt").

Re: the CD's, I got paranoid about my music collection when they stopped making cassettes, so I spent weeks mixing, dubbing and transferring all my favs over to CD just in case anything ever happened to my stereos and I couldn't replace the turntables for the vinyl, or find a decent cassette player one of these days. It came in super handy for the car, too, since they're nearly all CD now. Got to have my music to put in my "Time Capsule," lol.

Magnifique, Petros! Or, should I say "Fantastique"? *g* I recognized the painting right off the bat, but hadn't heard Berlioz (except for the instrumentals @ symphony) since my son was small. The digital remaster is comparatively amazing. Though the acoustics heard/felt at the Symphony are beyond compare, the "hugeness" of his orchestral and choral arrangments do come through beautifully, especially during the crescendos; they literally swell! Would sound phenominal at home through 10 speaker surround sound.

It's really an inspiring piece, too. Not only does the remaster maximize the brass and woodwinds (as it should be), if you close your eyes, and let yourself feel the story he's telling through his quick, intense, exciting compositions, you really can imagine that "if there be a Hell," this would be the bold, omnipotent, almost chaotic music that would be playing on Judgment Day.

Think I'm going to go read up on his bio. I'm sure there's quite a bit of updated info. out on his life/body of work now than there used to be. As always, tres bon choice. :)

Back