• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
'eh...agree to disagree.

That idiot doing the shaky video taping didn't drive you insane with his inane banter?
And do you know how absolutely freaking HUGE the statue of liberty's head is? Wouldn't fit in the street ...But I digress.

They never made that Gamera movie...maybe it was the bad CGI. Or no plot...who knows or cares. I just wanted McDanel to see the "New Look" Gamera. If you saw the ones from the 60's you'd know what I'm talking about.

I liked Big Trouble in Little China...it's a bit dated by today's cinematic standards, but surely an 80's classic.

I can't just make like a top 25 movies of all time list...I'd have to go by decade.
But on ANY top movie list BTILC would have to take the back seat to Godfather I &2.

Now if you're looking for a good flick check out "13 Assassins"...brilliant.
[doublepost=1520050395,1520048852][/doublepost]
your making a big deal about a shit movie and your trolling me leaving bad ratings but maybe your right I should stop visiting the jackburton site. cya guys

Stick around @Big_Stan...some of the stuff on here is priceless!
As far as ratings and credits go, I have absolutely no idea what they are for?
Don't let @JackBurton chase you off...he has a strange and kinda twisted sense of humor... but at times he's hilarious. This place is what it is. Hope you stick around.

Last edited:
And do you know how absolutely freaking HUGE the statue of liberty's head is? Wouldn't fit in the street ...But I digress.

Actually, the head a lot smaller than people realize -- 10 feet wide and 17 feet from chin to cranium. They had to increase the size of the head in the movie by 50 percent because in the original trailer people thought the head (using its actual size) was too small.

That idiot doing the shaky video taping didn't drive you insane with his inane banter?

I never said the movie was flawless. And yes, this is one of its flaws. Terrible character and the dialog/delivery of said dialog was def very annoying.

It didnt ruin the movie by any stretch though.

I mean we're not talking Chris Tucker in Fifth Element level of movie ruining, headache inducing, unbearable irritant.

I liked Big Trouble in Little China...it's a bit dated by today's cinematic standards, but surely an 80's classic.

The beast that grabs Gracie Law and one of the creatures in the sewer are very poorly done. They looked dated when the movie was new. Outside of those creatures/creature effects, there's nothing that doesn't hold up. Important also to keep in mind that it was meant to serve as a homage to classic/oldschool kung fu films, so certain things that may feel cheesy or odd to dimwitted audiences coming to it today fresh and ignorant of such things may be a bit taken aback. That exposes a flaw in their own intelligence and cinematic tastes, not any flaw in the brilliant movie.

Forget merely an 80s classic, the movie is a timeless classic, as the things it both satirizes and pays homage to are timeless and permanent features of so many wildly different popular aspects of cinematic and even broader societal culture. Jack Burton is a straight homage/parody of your classic American Western hero, which of course is an offshoot of our nations romanticized Western period/lore, built by the partly imagined and party deserved notions of American pride, independence, grit and moral(however misplaced) righteousness. And I already touched on the kung fu elements, which have immense significance and influence in multiple cultures/nations the world over and continue to impact action movies and fight scenes today. If these elements, and certainly the significance of said elements, don't age/become dated, then how can a movie that so expertly lampoons and pays homage to them age/feel dated?

And of course, the movie is first and foremost a wild action/comedy, and great action/fight sequences as well as great comedy are both timeless. You are STILL hardpressed to find a better fight sequence than the alley/funeral brawl or the climactic wedding crashin from Big Trouble. Top fucking notch. And it remains one of the funniest movies ever made. Kurt Russels performance is just as gutbusting today as it was then, as is the dialog and overrall absurdity. From the subtlety of the hilariously awkward, quiet confidence during the elevator ride to the final battle, to the manner in which the hero/chump/sidekick dynamic is completely flopped on its head, to said satirical/parody notes it hits, the movie remains a comedic masterpiece.

The fact that the movie manages to tackle such wildly different elements is of course a huge part of what makes it so special. It's really quite brilliant that a film could take so much on and deliver on such a wild, broadly targeted premise. Honestly, you have to really dig deep to find something even somewhat comparable when it comes to a film that presents such a unique and broadly encompassing take on the action/comedy front. Maybe something like the recent Baby Driver, which oddly doubles as a psuedo musical amidst all the quirky comedy and brutally violent crime thriller action, lands in a similar area of originality/effort. Good luck coming up with more tahn that though(and Big Trouble is VASTLY more fun than that gem, just sayin).

Big Trouble in Little China truly is in a league of its own.

Now if you're looking for a good flick check out "13 Samurai"...brilliant.

You mean 13 Assassins, or 7 Samurai? I don't know of a 13 Samurai.

13 Assassins was damn solid. I was a tad dissapointed with the lack of cool gore effects/deaths during the battles though, makes em a bit forgettable. I need some amputations/artieral sprays/decapitations in my sharp object battle sequences. I was stoked for the directors followup samurai movie that came out this past year, Blade of the Immortal, but was PAINFULLY dissapointed. It starts off so strong and unique, but descends into some of the most mundane and forgettable, and painfully boring, samurai junk i've ever sat through. Horrid characters, horrid writing, nonsensical plot, and the action/fight scenes are dreadfully boring and totally forgettable. And it had absolutely no right to be as excessively LONNNGGGG as it was. BARF.

And of course 7 Samurai is a fucking classic, for good reason. Damn long and def not paced as a slick/popcorn munchin fun watch though.

Last edited:
'eh...agree to disagree.

They never made that Gamera movie...maybe it was the bad CGI. Or no plot...who knows or cares. I just wanted McDanel to see the "New Look" Gamera. If you saw the ones from the 60's you'd know what I'm talking about.

I can't just make like a top 25 movies of all time list...I'd have to go by decade.
But on ANY top movie list BTILC would have to take the back seat to Godfather I &2.

Now if you're looking for a good flick check out "13 Samurai"...brilliant.
[doublepost=1520050395,1520048852][/doublepost]

Stick around @Big_Stan...some of the stuff on here is priceless!
As far as ratings and credits go, I have absolutely no idea what they are for?
Don't let @JackBurton chase you off...he has a strange and kinda twisted sense of humor... but at times he's hilarious. This place is what it is. Hope you stick around.
I been here a while mate. I know Jack's just a dripping dick lol I occasionally find him funny too but his inability to see when he pushes too far just fucks me off. he is still chasing round crapping on any post I made lol. I'm the troll though

I never said the movie was flawless. And yes, this is one of its flaws. Terrible character and the dialog/delivery of said dialog was def very annoying.

It didnt ruin the movie by any stretch though.

I mean we're not talking Chris Tucker in Fifth Element level of movie ruining, headache inducing, unbearable irritant.

The beast that grabs Gracie Law and one of the creatures in the sewer are very poorly done. They looked dated when the movie was new. Outside of those creatures/creature effects, there's nothing that doesn't hold up. Important also to keep in mind that it was meant to serve as a homage to classic/oldschool kung fu films, so certain things that may feel cheesy or odd to dimwitted audiences coming to it today fresh and ignorant of such things may be a bit taken aback. That exposes a flaw in their own intelligence and cinematic tastes, not any flaw in the brilliant movie.

Forget merely an 80s classic, the movie is a timeless classic, as the things it both satirizes and pays homage to are timeless and permanent features of so many wildly different popular aspects of cinematic and even broader societal culture. Jack Burton is a straight homage/parody of your classic American Western hero, which of course is an offshoot of our nations romanticized Western period/lore, built by the partly imagined and party deserved notions of American pride, independence, grit and moral(however misplaced) righteousness. And I already touched on the kung fu elements, which have immense significance and influence in multiple cultures/nations the world over and continue to impact action movies and fight scenes today. If these elements, and certainly the significance of said elements, don't age/become dated, then how can a movie that so expertly lampoons and pays homage to them age/feel dated?

And of course, the movie is first and foremost a wild action/comedy, and great action/fight sequences as well as great comedy are both timeless. You are STILL hardpressed to find a better fight sequence than the alley/funeral brawl or the climactic wedding crashin from Big Trouble. Top fucking notch. And it remains one of the funniest movies ever made. Kurt Russels performance is just as gutbusting today as it was then, as is the dialog and overrall absurdity. From the subtlety of the hilariously awkward, quiet confidence during the elevator ride to the final battle, to the manner in which the hero/chump/sidekick dynamic is completely flopped on its head, to said satirical/parody notes it hits, the movie remains a comedic masterpiece.

The fact that the movie manages to tackle such wildly different elements is of course a huge part of what makes it so special. It's really quite brilliant that a film could take so much on and deliver on such a wild, broadly targeted premise. Honestly, you have to really dig deep to find something even somewhat comparable when it comes to a film that presents such a unique and broadly encompassing take on the action/comedy front. Maybe something like the recent Baby Driver, which oddly doubles as a psuedo musical amidst all the quirky comedy and brutally violent crime thriller action, lands in a similar area of originality/effort. Good luck coming up with more tahn that though(and Big Trouble is VASTLY more fun than that gem, just sayin).

Big Trouble in Little China truly is in a league of its own.

You mean 13 Assassins, or 7 Samurai? I don't know of a 13 Samurai.

13 Assassins was damn solid. I was a tad dissapointed with the lack of cool gore effects/deaths during the battles though, makes em a bit forgettable. I need some amputations/artieral sprays/decapitations in my sharp object battle sequences. I was stoked for the directors followup samurai movie that came out this past year, Blade of the Immortal, but was PAINFULLY dissapointed. It starts off so strong and unique, but descends into some of the most mundane and forgettable, and painfully boring, samurai junk i've ever sat through. Horrid characters, horrid writing, nonsensical plot, and the action/fight scenes are dreadfully boring and totally forgettable. And it had absolutely no right to be as excessively LONNNGGGG as it was. BARF.

And of course 7 Samurai is a fucking classic, for good reason. Damn long and def not paced as a slick/popcorn munchin fun watch though.
13 Assassins....my bad.
[doublepost=1520092574,1520089482][/doublepost]The alien in "The Thing" I thought was much better done than Fu Manchu's. Now thats a cult classic.
It seems the films we've discussed would best fall under "Cult Classics".
Like Evil Dead (which was brilliantly executed by Sam Rami on a shoe string budget), or Bubba Ho-Tep etc...
Seriously, there wasn't enough blood for you in 13 Assassins? Your a hard man to please @JackBurton!
[doublepost=1520092849][/doublepost]
Actually, the head a lot smaller than people realize -- 10 feet wide and 17 feet from chin to cranium. They had to increase the size of the head in the movie by 50 percent because in the original trailer people thought the head (using its actual size) was too small.

Really? I should have done my homework better on that one...I was going by hearsay.
My bad.
[doublepost=1520093777][/doublepost]@JackBurton, just curious...what is your favorite movie? It has to be a complete bloodbath lol.

Last edited:
Really? I should have done my homework better on that one...I was going by hearsay.
My bad

lol... no worries, man. If you've never been there personally to see it (I never have) most people, including myself, judged the size of the head by the Escape From New York movie poster or Ghostbusters 2. :p

he is still chasing round crapping on any post I made lol

I crap stupid comments, no matter who says em. Hate to burst your self important bubble, but I rarely even take notice of who is even saying em. If it seems I crap any post you make, perhaps you should start making better posts.

The alien in "The Thing" I thought was much better done than Fu Manchu's. Now thats a cult classic.
It seems the films we've discussed would best fall under "Cult Classics".
Like Evil Dead (which was brilliantly executed by Sam Rami on a shoe string budget), or Bubba Ho-Tep etc...
Seriously, there wasn't enough blood for you in 13 Assassins? Your a hard man to please

The Thing is brilliant. Along with Jaws, def one of the top 2 greatest, most effective horror films ever. Brilliant effects.

Evil Dead also top notch. You watch Ash Vs Evil Dead, the tv show? Severely flawed and some eps are total duds, but it's still pretty solid and worth checking out for the debut episode alone, plays like a direct sequel after allllll these years, total nod to fans. Depressing how lazy the effects are though.

And I judge/compare pretty much all swordplay/sharp object battle scene movies to Braveheart. That set the bar and nothing since has even attempted to best it(or even match it). 13 Assassins certainly wasn't bloodless, but it def doesnt contain anything close to the level of brutality shown in Braveheart, or even Gladiator or a fine killin episode of Game of Thrones. Showing the gruesome bloodshed in all its glory really makes these sequences/movies so much more authentic and visceral, not to mention memorable and really fucking cool.

n, just curious...what is your favorite movie? It has to be a complete bloodbath lol.

I was stoked for the directors followup samurai movie that came out this past year, Blade of the Immortal, but was PAINFULLY dissapointed.

I prefer Miike's Yakuza movies but I think it's a little unfair to compare Blade of the Immortal to 13 Assassins. They're both Japanese period pieces but Blade of the Immortal is based on a comic, 13 Assassins is loosely based on history. Also 13 Assassins was written by Deisuke Tengan who wrote Audition, arguably Miike's best movie, and is the son of Shohei Imamura aka the only Japanese person to win the Palme d'Or twice... whereas Blade of the Immortal was written by Tetsuya Oishi who's mostly responsible for comic adaptations

Oh shit...I forgot about Robocop.
No argument here. That movie was waaay ahead of it's time.
Can't argue with you on Jaws either that is an all-timer. I'll have to do some re-watching of flicks this weekend.

Yes I've been watching Ash vs Evil Dead...I love Bruce campbell's stuff. I enjoy it for what it is...you know, in an Army of Darkness kind of way.

Check out Bruce and Ossie Davis (RIP) in Bubba-Ho-tep. It's not a gore fest but IMO it's done brilliantly.
[doublepost=1520104229,1520103448][/doublepost]
I crap stupid comments, no matter who says em. Hate to burst your self important bubble, but I rarely even take notice of who is even saying em. If it seems I crap any post you make, perhaps you should start making better posts.

The Thing is brilliant. Along with Jaws, def one of the top 2 greatest, most effective horror films ever. Brilliant effects.

Evil Dead also top notch. You watch Ash Vs Evil Dead, the tv show? Severely flawed and some eps are total duds, but it's still pretty solid and worth checking out for the debut episode alone, plays like a direct sequel after allllll these years, total nod to fans. Depressing how lazy the effects are though.

And I judge/compare pretty much all swordplay/sharp object battle scene movies to Braveheart. That set the bar and nothing since has even attempted to best it(or even match it). 13 Assassins certainly wasn't bloodless, but it def doesnt contain anything close to the level of brutality shown in Braveheart, or even Gladiator or a fine killin episode of Game of Thrones. Showing the gruesome bloodshed in all its glory really makes these sequences/movies so much more authentic and visceral, not to mention memorable and really fucking cool.

Have you seen "HERO" or "Fearless" with Jet LI ? Crazy swordplay and choreography!
Ip Man with Donnie Yen is fantastic no real blood...but he kicked the shit out of a guy using a Peacock Feather! Priceless! 2 more:
Deadlands...I really enjoyed this one the story and pacing was excellent
Last one...Muay Thai Warrior...brutal.

Last edited:
Check out Bruce and Ossie Davis (RIP) in Bubba-Ho-tep. It's not a gore fest but IMO it's done brilliantly.

Love it. Such a brilliant take on Elvis and the "elvis lives!" conspiracy theory absurdity. And i found it to have a very deep and profound take on aging/growing old/legacies/etc.

Hero is tremendous. Never seen Fearless. Dont care for Ip Man much.

Hard for me to get into any recenet martial arts/hand to hand/fightin movies after watching The Raid and Raid 2. That set a bar so fucking high. Everything just feels so fake and cheap compared to it.

after watching The Raid and Raid 2

Gotta agree with you there. After seeing those two, they are THE films I compare any new martial arts film to. Nothing has done it recently... although I thought Dredd was an decent attempt and a movie I love for totally different reasons.

Oh, meant to add, John Wick and John Wick 2 have some great fighting\gunplay. They don't beat the Raid films, but I would put them as the two most recent films that come the closest.

Gotta agree with you there. After seeing those two, they are THE films I compare any new martial arts film to. Nothing has done it recently... although I thought Dredd was an decent attempt and a movie I love for totally different reasons.

Oh, meant to add, John Wick and John Wick 2 have some great fighting\gunplay. They don't beat the Raid films, but I would put them as the two most recent films that come the closest.

Yeah John Wick 1/2 are solid. IT's just rare in general to come across an action movie where actual effort is put into the fight scene/action choreography. I was dissapointed with the pacing of both of em. THe first John Wick blew its load way too early, totally fizzled out in the end. And the 2nd didnt really shine outside of a few amazing parts.

Hurts so bad not to get a sequel to Dredd. That one was fantastic as well.

I read 2000AD all through the 80's .Judge Dredd,Strontium Dog, Rouge Trooper, DR.& Quinch, Nemesis the Warlock... All the good shit.

My brother and I left the theater after Stallone dropped his piece of shit take on Dredd completely dismayed. I mean the fucking cod piece he wore was ridiculous. The whole damn thing was a joke.

Then many long years later they write a great script, get Karl Urban (The Perfect Dredd...no smiles or removing his helmet. Joe Dredd DOES NOT REMOVE HIS HELMET...EVER!) It was perfect. Urban wants to do another Dredd movie...I've got my fingers crossed. The 3D effects were some of the best I've ever seen.

There are 2 really well done fan films on YouTube..1st is Judge Minty. An older Judge isn't fit to be a street judge anymore...and he gets the 2 options...Teach at the Academy or bring law to the lawless and take the long walk. He chooses the latter of course. Very well done.
The 2nd is Search/Destroy...the Strontium Dog film. Also very well done. I love Johnny Alpha and his Westinghouse variable cartridge blaster and Electro-Nux!

If you haven't seen either...do yourselves a favor and check them out Hotshot
:laser:

Last edited:
Damn it. It had to make money on netflix and shit. They'll sequel to death bullshit like Transformers, and not a great flick like Dredd.
Well...I thought the WB did a brilliant job on Daredevil and Arrow. I'm still pissed about them yanking Constantine. There's just so much awesome material to work with..( although they totally fucked it up...bad).

Casting another Dredd is going to be tough...I thought Urban was perfect.
[doublepost=1520128237,1520126061][/doublepost]

Such a damn shame about Dredd not getting a proper followup.

I was surprised to find out that according to Urban, phenom scifi director Alex Garland actually helmed Dredd, despite not getting the director credit. Not surprised to think back on it though given the quality.

but I think it's a little unfair to compare Blade of the Immortal to 13 Assassins. They're both Japanese period pieces but Blade of the Immortal is based on a comic, 13 Assassins is loosely based on history.

My complaints about Immortal weren't based around the plot not being historically accurate or being too outlandish/fantastical. I knew goin in it was based on a comic.

That doesnt change the fact that the story, either due to the sourc material or the quality of the adaptation, was fucking awful and the movie was FULL of things that made no sense, or that the characters could not have been more one note or uninteresting, nor had less understandable motivations.

Given the director and the quality of the action/fight/swordplay in 13 Assassins, I at least expected Immortal to deliver in that regard. It being based on a comic doesnt excuse that MASSIVE flaw, that the action was fucking god awful and tedious.

That doesnt change the fact that the story, either due to the sourc material or the quality of the adaptation, was fucking awful and the movie was FULL of things that made no sense, or that the characters could not have been more one note or uninteresting, nor had less understandable motivations.

I pointed out the writer and it's source because of the poor adaptation. The comic is 30 volumes, 4 arcs. The movie tried to cover everything because sequels are never a sure thing in Japan, but that's a huge volume of content. They had to cut corners, unfortunately that meant getting rid of many subplots and character development. I'm not saying it's great, I'm not saying you should like it, I'm just saying Miike worked with what he had; that includes action scenes within the script

Personally I only liked two fights: the first and the one between Manji and Eiku. But that's more tied into gore than action

I pointed out the writer and it's source because of the poor adaptation. The comic is 30 volumes, 4 arcs. The movie tried to cover everything because sequels are never a sure thing in Japan, but that's a huge volume of content. They had to cut corners, unfortunately that meant getting rid of many subplots and character development. I'm not saying it's great, I'm not saying you should like it, I'm just saying Miike worked with what he had; that includes action scenes within the script

Personally I only liked two fights: the first and the one between Manji and Eiku. But that's more tied into gore than action

The first was great. I loved the black and white, the whole thing felt quite stylish and gave me big hopes for the movie. It descends into mediocrity quickly after that awesome opening though.

It def is understandable that this is what led to the movies story being such garbage, however i still place blame for that on the director. If you cant find a way to rewrite or rework that immense story into a condensed, clear, solid and focused storyline, then he prob shouldnt have made the film.

Well yeah. The thing is even though the west knows Miike for Yazuka and samurai movies, he does a lot of cartoon/comic adaptations too. Ichi the Killer was even based on a comic. Blade of the Immortal wasn't a passion project, it was a paycheck

I'll stop spamming the thread now though

Last edited:
I prefer Miike's Yakuza movies but I think it's a little unfair to compare Blade of the Immortal to 13 Assassins. They're both Japanese period pieces but Blade of the Immortal is based on a comic, 13 Assassins is loosely based on history. Also 13 Assassins was written by Deisuke Tengan who wrote Audition, arguably Miike's best movie, and is the son of Shohei Imamura aka the only Japanese person to win the Palme d'Or twice... whereas Blade of the Immortal was written by Tetsuya Oishi who's mostly responsible for comic adaptations
The Ronin, I can remember reading that when I was a kid along with the way of the Samurai both titles I can't ember for the life of me and Genji Monotagari I think

Back