• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

ChaosKitty

Queen Bitch From Hell
Set in the 50s/60s this is yet another woven del Toro story filled with love, loss, redemption or the lack of it with all sorts of nuances of the times then and now as well as the underlying good versus evil, what is the norm and acceptable and why you have to seem to be an oddball to do the right thing. That last part one can also add when you know you should do something or set someone free but hold on to them versus letting them go and the repercussions of that. It veers away completely from the lush beautiful scenery to devote more time to the stark conventionalism and attitudes of that time and what is now being shoveled out again. I will add he has managed to combine multiple categories and yantras in one film seamlessly as only he can seem to do. you have politics, sci fi/fantasy/love story, thriller and social conscience/civil tights all tied into a big ball with a bow. Some of the takes on this are kinda disturbing as I saw the main character not as lacking anything or needing to be made whole or redeemed in any way. Only in as far and being involved with someone else and actually finding love, which could be said of anyone, imo. I'm the worlds worst at spoilers so I will leave it at that

Last edited:
I am wanting to own this.
Much of his stuff has been excellent.
you can stream it now i think both with Amazon and others watch it first but if i owned a little video library practically everything of del Toro would be in it

you can stream it now i think both with Amazon and others watch it first but if i owned a little video library practically everything of del Toro would be in it
Yeah my video library is far from little these days.
I just prefer owning the physical media.
Something nice about not worrying if something I like is still on Netflix or not.

I think this is one of my fav Del Toro movies, it was just perfect
glad to see you back, big time fangirl of GdT, it is good as usual and fresh but have to admit both hs Spanish Civil war ones own a chunk of my heart, ans wins out and shines the brightest for me but i did like Crimson Peak, a bit choppy but good, this one alot of needed messages that were intentional for now as well as his acceptance speech

Crimson Peak's problem was in advertising. It wasn't a horror movie, it was a Gothic romance; unfortunately those peaked years ago with Rebecca

Crimson Peak's problem was in advertising. It wasn't a horror movie, it was a Gothic romance; unfortunately those peaked years ago with Rebecca
if it had had more del Toro true storytelling & ghosts interacting would have been better, never been a mega Hiddleston fan [yeah he''s Loki & was excellent in night manager] but Hunnam was as usual hot and the pageantry of design and colors great, the sister was chillingly craaaaazy evil good also

Saw it, no surprise it was tremendous. Beautifully done.

SPOILERS

The themes of inequality and injustice and whatnot were handled brilliantly. It was never in your face, just allowed to flow and occur naturally and with subtlety. Tremendous. Really didnt sink in until i was pondering the movie later the significance of one of the most basic plotpoints, that a black woman and a gay man are the ones who must speak for the main characters who have no voice. Del Toro flipping that shit on its head and then some, such a treat.

Mainly just loved how weird it is. LOVE how Del Toro takes a fantasy/fairy tale and treats it with such realisim, puts it in our real world, and then doesnt hold a single punch. You take pretty much any fairy tale or disney cartoon and you make it realistic, put it in our world, and that shit gets terrifyingly disturbing REAL quick. Del Toro essentailly does just that with movies like Pans Labrynth and this. At first it's nice and fun, and then shit gets wayyyyy too real and shit gets very offputting and creepy(fucking swamp creature bestiality!!!???), then the brutal and gruesome violence comes into play. Just brilliant.

You pack in the amazing performances and surprising themes like racial inequality(or inequality in general really) and it makes for something truly special. The fact Del Toro made a movie featuring a woman not only falling in love with a river monster, but also banging the cat eating sea monster, yet managed to make that relationship and the characters genuinely endearing and get an audience to actually take it seriously says it all. Seriously, what a fucking feat. I'm watching a woman fall for a fucking humanoid fish monster and I'm totally invested in it beyond a mere, "this is delightfully creepy!" sort of way. Incredible.

All that said, I was rooting for Michael Shannon at the end there. How could you not get behind him as he rips his fingers off and so proudly and strongly proclaims, "I DON'T FAIL!"

Back