• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article214584010.html
The call that came into a GEICO auto insurance claims department seemed routine: A Lexus GS350 was involved in a fender bender with a Chrysler 320 in North Miami-Dade. Within days, adjusters from a team that covers the area reported inspecting the Lexus and authorizing a series of payments totaling over $16,000.

But the accident never actually happened, investigators say.

The exact same Lexus, in fact, had been used to file at least 10 claims for phantom crashes, all signed off on by the same adjusters. And the body shop that reaped most of the payouts isn't even real — one of the company's address is a vacant lot in Little Haiti, according to Miami-Dade prosecutors.
[....]
The bogus crash report in September 2016 was but one of dozens of sham claims that cost the insurance giant more than half a million dollars, prosecutors say, and led to a series of arrests on Tuesday morning. Among those arrested: two GEICO insurance adjusters, Juan Carlos Diaz and Cesar Santiago Tapanes, who prosecutors say got cash kickbacks for helping defraud their own company.

The ringleaders, according to authorities, were Sepp Lewis Tevini, a mechanic who arranged the bogus claims on cars he was supposed to be servicing; and Estevenson "Skull" Dorval, who represented two auto body shops that didn't really exist.
Tevini_Mug.jpg

In all, 14 people were charged in "Investigation Vehicle Roulette" conducted by Florida's Bureau of Insurance Fraud and the State Attorney's Office. The others charged are believed to have allowed their policies to be used, or made phone calls to GEICO while impersonating crash victims.

The group faces charges including grand theft, insurance fraud and racketeering. In all, at least 45 bogus claims were made, most of them on high-end cars, according to an arrest warrant by detectives Pablo Abril and Elizabeth Suarez, and prosecutor Jennie Conklin.

Some of the car owners had no idea that their policies were being abused.

Two victims: Miami divorce lawyer Sandy Becher and his wife, Lizbed Ortiz, who used to hire Tevini to service their two cars. Little did they know, prosecutors said, more than a dozen fraudulent claims were levied on their GEICO policies.

Court records show that Becher represented Tevini in 2013 on a charge of grand theft and exploiting the elderly. The charge was dismissed when Tevini completed a program for first-time offenders.

Another well-known Miami lawyer, Sam Rabin, was also a victim, according to an arrest warrant. He owned a BMW 428i that was reported to have been involved in an accident on Nov. 23, 2016 — Rabin's son drove the car and told detectives that Tevini had taken the car to fix a small dent, but it had never been involved in a crash on that day.
[....]

I was in an accident two months ago and totaled my car. I had to fight my insurance company for 2 months (just settled yesterday) to get the money my car was actually worth. Their initial offer was around $5200. Finally settled for just shy of $7400. There is no way that I should have been put through that shit. 90% of insurance companies now use a company called "CCC One" to come up with a "market valuation report". They comp the lowest priced cars they can find. After threatening to leave them (USAA, we do all our insurance and banking through them), they suddenly redid the evaluation. It should have been done properly in the first place. Insurance is a scam. Good to see them scammed for once.

I'm guessing if you're nickname is "skull", you're not working for Lehman Bros.

Didnt Lehman Bros nearly destroy the entire fucking country a decade or so ago as a result of their own financial scammery and ineptitude?

After threatening to leave them (USAA, we do all our insurance and banking through them), they suddenly redid the evaluation. It should have been done properly in the first place. Insurance is a scam. Good to see them scammed for once.

Agree. Good to know about USAA when it comes to auto isnurance. Ive had some personal property insurance claims that they blew my mind on by giving me FAR more than i expected or even asked for. Gave them estimated costs on my own end and they upped it by several hundred dollars.

Insurance industry is most def scummy as shit. Really anything in the financial industry is scummy. These people are not good at their jobs, by and large, the aforementioned banking collapse is undeniable proof of that. Id throw insurance industyr right in there with em, maybe not when it comes to ineptitude, but when it comes to greed and a all to ofrequent lack of care for their customers, for sure.

Back