• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Ruby

I googled "Rowan Ford" back in early November, hit on the Dreamin' Demon, and never left. I had been a avoiding the Forums, as I didn't feel I could afford another time-suck in my life, but I finally caved in.

So I finally get here, after a bumpy voyage, and I try to open a page, and up pops a sex ad telling me that "Real Sex is Just a Click Away". Shitfire, real sex is HERE and WARM and SWEATY and WHEN I WANT IT; it does NOT involve logging in or virtual partners. Pfffft.

What can I tell you? I'm too smart for my own good and old enough to know better. Where that leaves me is anybody's guess. ;-)

Love much of what goes on here re: public shaming. Hate when it veers into violent lynch-mob revenge fantasies.

I am a very progressive liberal -- many of you might even call me a bleeding heart. You can kiss my ass.

I have near-fetishistic obsessions with perfume (I have hundreds of bottles) and perfume history, rockabilly music (I've been list-mom of a rockabilly email list for 10+ years), the Holocaust, and books. I work, have 2 small kids, and am mid-way through a Master's Degree, which is kicking my butt. Weird enough for you?

Oh! Someone (I forget who) was talking about aviation stuff. My husband is a licensed private pilot and aircraft mechanic. He also worked as an air traffic controller back in the dawn of time, but hated it. (But he's a professional musician, first and foremost. We're a family who tries to do too much. It's a curse.)

And now you're stuck with me. :p

Exactly how Liberal do you consider yourself?

I refer you to the Liberal Scale:

Lieberman --- Kucinich --- Mussolini

I find that most Liberals confess to being in the LK range, but philosophically are more likely to be M+ if given enough power.

Oh, and welcome to the site!

Exactly how Liberal do you consider yourself?

I refer you to the Liberal Scale:

Lieberman --- Kucinich --- Mussolini

I find that most Liberals confess to being in the LK range, but philosophically are more likely to be M+ if given enough power.

Oh, and welcome to the site!

Good question. Kucinich, baby, all the way. I even had his bumper sticker on my pickup truck during the last couple of primary seasons to prove it. :)

Never thought he was a viable candidate, mind you, but voting for him in the primary in my liberal state sends a message to the "so-called" Democrats in the front that SOME of us prefer our party to take HUGE steps to the left of where they currently sit around picking their noses.

Next?

That's going to take a little more brain power than I have on this Sunday morning when I'm working on a paper already! I'll give you the two that pop into my head, but I'll have to reserve the other 3 slots until I can think on it. Here's my 1 and 2:

1. Repeal the USA Patriot Act (and a couple of related pieces of legislation.) They are abrogations of our Constitutional protections. They were implemented in a panic and it was irresponsible, stupid, and shortsighted. I have been embarrassed by my country since the day the Patriot Act was passed. It is dangerous, and profoundly un-American.

2. Campaign finance reform. It's got to happen in a big way, and soon, if we are ever going to see a change in "politics as usual." All of the candidates can spout reform rhetoric all they want, but as long as they are beholden to special interests in the private sector, we don't have a prayer of getting true representational democracy really happening. Big business is eating our lunch, every last crumb, and our system is set up to ensure that our elected officials support that.

More later, if I can.

And now you're stuck with me. :p

And we're so glad! I love the Ruby! :love:

mmm.. perfume. You ever come across a bottle of Champagne by Germain Monteil, you let me know, I'm buying. I'm a Chanel No. 5 girl usually, but my favorite is Diva, by Emanuel Ungaro. I also like to mix my own scents from BPAL oils. Don't get me started.

I love your posts. Just sayin'.

Bpal!!?

And we're so glad! I love the Ruby! :love:

mmm.. perfume. You ever come across a bottle of Champagne by Germain Monteil, you let me know, I'm buying. I'm a Chanel No. 5 girl usually, but my favorite is Diva, by Emanuel Ungaro. I also like to mix my own scents from BPAL oils. Don't get me started.

I love your posts. Just sayin'.

IMP! You know BPAL!?! My little nerdy heart just skipped a beat. Diva's a nice chypre which never has worked on me. LOVE it on the right person, though -- I always wished I could wear it.

Champagne by Monteil? Don't know it. You sure you don't mean YSL? They released Champagne and got sued by the French champagne producers, and changed the name to Yvresse, which made the original bottles with the Champagne name quite collectible. When did Monteil release a Champagne? What's it like??

BOLT OF LIGHTNING JUST HIT MY DENSE BRAIN!

BPAL: that's why you're the IMP-queen! Holy shit. Small world, girlfriend.

Glad you're here Ruby. I'm a fan of your posts on the front page and was wondering why I never saw your posts down here in the dungeon.

I am a bit of a perfume freak too. Hubby would tell you I have a problem but what does he know? He always likes the way I smell so i tell him to stop yapping about all the bottles on my dresser! :p

Ruby darling, First of all love the name. Real name, or do you just love the gemstone? I've a 1st cousin named Ruby, she has red hair, and I've always thought her name was quite befitting.

I think I've been in love with you for a while now, your posts are magnificent on the front page. I've always enjoyed reading them, and I too have wondered what the hell took you so long to get to the forums.

Perfumes you say? I love the natural oils. Patchouli, Nag Champa, Amber, Musk, Frangipani...just to name a few. I like to leave a trailing scent, especially in Wally World.:D

Glad you've ambled our way. It is wonderful to "meet" you..

Peace~
Hippie

Ruby darling, First of all love the name. Real name, or do you just love the gemstone? I've a 1st cousin named Ruby, she has red hair, and I've always thought her name was quite befitting.

Nope, not an honest-to-gawd Ruby, but I am an honest-to-gawd redhead. That count? ;) Ruby is from an old song, and was my screen name when I met my husband online, back at the beginning of life as we know it. Now it's tattooed on his arm, and I am known far and wide in Internetland by various incarnations of it.

Thanks for the kind words, Hippie girl.

IMP! You know BPAL!?! My little nerdy heart just skipped a beat. Diva's a nice chypre which never has worked on me. LOVE it on the right person, though -- I always wished I could wear it.

Champagne by Monteil? Don't know it. You sure you don't mean YSL? They released Champagne and got sued by the French champagne producers, and changed the name to Yvresse, which made the original bottles with the Champagne name quite collectible. When did Monteil release a Champagne? What's it like??

Germaine Monteil released Champagne back in the 80s and discon'ed it within a couple of years. I adored the stuff. The bottles were simple and were in a moon and stars theme. I got a bit off ebay once and liked it a bit less later, as the floral notes seemed stronger than i remembered. I'm not so much about the bottles as what's in 'em. :)

My favorite BPAL mix is Lust and Perversion, layered 50/50 on pulse points. On lighter occasions for a simple scent I sometimes like LUSH's Karma.. oranges, patchouli, lavender, a little almond, and lemongrass. If LUSH would bottle Sex Bomb i'd be a happy girl. Violet is my favorite floral.

I must admit that I've kind of avoided the Imps, Imp. BPAL's Website, while fascinating in some ways, always overwhelms me, and I end up staring at the screen slackjawed, and with no clear sense of what to order. That, coupled with their notorious months-long waits for shipments, has always held me back. I know many huge fans of BPAL, but I have only ever tried Snake Oil. Very nice, but it didn't rock my world.

I'm a big collector of vintage frags, and my holy grail scents tend to be leather chypres.

If you're a perfume fiend, Imp, do the initials POL, MUA, or BN mean anything to you? Are you aware of / involved with the whole perfume community babbling away out in cyberspace?? Maybe we should take this convo offline...

And as for YOU, Mr. Swivel, I have no idea when (or even IF) I will get back to you with 3 more immediately necessary governmental actions. I am simply not sure I have the time to give it the attention it deserves.

I know Perfume Of Life a little bit. i know MUA likes Chanel No. 5. I don't know a thing about BN, rarely read there - i'm an amateur nose at best. I know sort of what I like, I can usually tell a good fragrance from a bad one, but I'm no Grenouille; i'm not even a Baldini. I just like smelly stuff and i'm pickyish about it, is all.

imps are fun. I usually get mine in six-packs and they only take about two weeks to show up. Not to enable you at all. ;)

i like chypres myself, although i can run the green-citrus-floral-leather gamut. BPAL's Whip and Perversion are both heavy leathers with a lovely tobacco. You'd like 'em.

I wish you could see my goggle-eyed perusal of the scent/perfume posts--they may as well be in Mandarin! Some people pick up all their slang here, I'm going to wind up knowing something besides "body odor" and "no, not so much." You guys should start a scent thread!

LOL, Lizard! I can well imagine your eyes rolling back in your head. I'm used to it. Hubby, friends, family....no one gets my fascination with scent. It goes along with love of music and visual arts for me -- it's a sensual, aesthetic pursuit that never ceases to amaze, amuse, and entertain me. But if your eyes glaze over, you won't offend me. :)

Imp, I've been extremely active on POL for years. On MUA and BN as a visitor. I'm also part of Sniffapalooza, though the name makes me giggle, and I can't say it with a straight face. I used to sell decants on eBay, too, until they shut that down. But I've got all the equipment, and can provide perfume sampler packs to anyone here who wants to try something -- that includes you guys!

rockabilly music (I've been list-mom of a rockabilly email list for 10+ years)

Awesome. I am also a big fan, actually run a show on the campus station at college, and play bass in a Surf/Rockabilly/punk/horror band. Nice to find another freak. Welcome.

Ruby, I'm glad you came to the forums! I have enjoyed your front page perspective.

Ruby is my birthstone as well as my favorite gem!

I'm no perfume expert and always have a hard time finding what smells good on me I like currently Rock & Rose by Valentino, Jadore by Dior, Daisy by Marc Jacobs (I get most compliments when I wear this), and in the summer Dolce & Gabbana's Light Blue.

Glad your here :)

So sorry, boys, I didn't notice your attentions. You must have been pressing the wrong button... :wink:

Back