• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
24zex6u.jpg
Austin Renaud, 18, a defendant in the Phoebe Prince school bullying case, pleaded innocent to operating under the influence of alcohol Tuesday in Holyoke District Court.

Renaud, 18, of 185 Garland St., Springfield, was arrested by Holyoke police early Sunday morning after they reportedly found him in his car by the side of Route 5 with bloodshot eyes and alcohol on his breath.

Renaud is charged with statutory rape in Hampshire Superior Court in the Prince case.
[...]

Hampden Assistant District Attorney Joan M. Dietz asked that a curfew be imposed on Renaud from 8 p.m. to 7 a.m. and that he remain drug and alcohol free. Mason agreed.

He released Renaud on his personal recognizance and warned him that if he violates any condition of his release he could be arrested.
http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2010/04/austin_renaud_defendant_in_pho.html

I know this is petty, but his hair is redonk. Someone needs to take his flat iron away and shove it up his ass.

Are they 100% sure she killed herself? To me that sounds hinky... how do they know those bitches and that bastard didn't "string her up"? Why would she plug her phone in to charge it and then kill herself? That's a little too weird to me... no suicide note, no "I can't take this anymore"? These people were threatening her... did they even check the house for prints or did they just assume she committed suicide?

They also actually told her that she should "hang herself."

Youre not the only one that feels that way. There is a lot of speculation on other blogs that they may have killed her.

No note.
Charged her phone.
Was bullied on her walk home, which was really really close to the school.

I wonder as well.

Phoebe Prince wrote about self mutilation before suicide

Phoebe Prince wrote about self mutilation before she took her life, it has been revealed. It was a clear warning sign that the young Irish girl was deeply upset because of the bullying she was undergoing.

However defense attorneys are expected to use the new evidence to show that Phoebe was inclined to suicide and self damage before the bullying allegations

One essay written by Phoebe was a review of a book called 'Cutting' by Dr. Steven Levenkron. In her review Phoebe wrote:

"From a personal point of view I can see that Levenkron does truly understand the concept of self- mutilation and how it's not about suicide,
in most cases it's about trying to transfer the pain from emotional to physical pain which is a lot easier to deal with for most adolescents who most likely don't even understand how they're feeling."

The essay was first revealed in the Sunday Independent newspaper in Ireland.

Dr.Steven Levenkron is a recognized expert on anorexia nervosa, based in New York.

In another essay Phoebe wrote that she disliked Facebook and twitter, most likely because she was being taunted on them by the six adolescents now charged in helping cause her suicide on January 14th when she hung herself in her family home in South Hadley Massachusetts after being bullied mercilessly all day.

One of those charged, Ashley Longe, 16, wrote about Phoebe on Facebook after she had killed herself saying "She brought it on herself."

Meanwhile, in reaction to the bullying death and intense criticism of the role of their site Facebook last week announced new measures that include a 24-hour police hotline, a multi-million dollar education and awareness campaign, and a redesigned abuse reporting system.
http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Ph...self-mutilation-before-suicide--91364699.html

How stupid... she clearly stated self mutilation WASN'T about suicide... if anything that strengthens the case against those kids. I'm still not sure she wasn't murdered.

I'm willing to bet the farm she wasn't murdered.
First of all, do you know how hard it would be to stage a hanging?
I don't either but I bet pretty hard.
I'm sure she went home that day still reeling from the girls verbal attack and did her routine. Plug the phone in being part of that.
Then she probably went online. Who knows...maybe she read something that just cracked her.
The final straw, as it were.
Maybe she sat and thought about it and decided death was better.
I cannot imagine that, I also cannot imagine that the police didn't go over her room and check for fingerprints and such, since the bullying has become such a huge media sensation.

I think that sadly Phoebe, much like all of us have, made a poor choice. Only unlike all of us, didn't live to tell the tale.

Edit: Oh and about cutting, that's not about killing yourself, it's about control. Just recently dealt with a teen going through that. She simply wanted to have some sense of control over something in her life, due to parents who (in her mind) monitored her every move.
She's now in counseling. As are her parents.

Last edited:
Mom says Phoebe Prince story saved her daughter’s life
By
APRIL DREW
Irish Voice Reporter

The mother of a young girl being bullied in school has told People magazine that the Phoebe Prince story saved her daughter’s life.

Carla Carey of Foxboro, MA, said, "My daughter said things like, 'I can't go on,' and 'Nobody will help me and nobody can help me,' "

Carey's daughter had been bullied relentlessly in school and had, on several occasions, reported the harassment to school officials.

According to Carey the school officials said they would look into her complains but "could never corroborate the incidents."

For weeks Carey heard her daughter in tears.

The story is hauntingly similar to Phoebe Prince. Taunted day in and day out in school by bullies, reported problem to school officials only to have nothing done about it.

Unanswered cries for help.

After reading about Phoebe's suicide, Carey got afraid and finally called the police and found a hospital bed for her daughter. She spent six days being treated for "emotional distress."

Although her daughter remains fragile, she takes comfort in knowing she intervened before it was too late.

"I learned the warning signs," says Carey.

"Phoebe Prince's suicide saved my daughter's life."
http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Mom-says-Phoebe-Prince-story-saved-daughters-life-91813659.html

Witch hunts won’t bring Phoebe Prince back

PARENTS, POLITICIANS, and the public have condemned South Hadley school administrators for Phoebe Prince’s tragic suicide without benefit of all the facts. By law, school officials are constrained in what they can say about students or the school’s actions, and their required silence has fueled the public’s fury.

Governor Patrick is among the worst offenders. In a recent radio interview, the governor slammed South Hadley school administrators, and then essentially acknowledged that he didn’t have all the facts (“Patrick slams school officials in bully case,’’ Page A1, April 10).

Of course, every school must create a safe climate for all students and must deal promptly with complaints. But parents are the ones most responsible for their children’s values and behavior. If the South Hadley bullies acted as alleged, resulting in Phoebe Prince’s suicide, then why aren’t more people in the community asking how those families could raise such children?

Everyone needs to stop blaming school officials and parents, and start working together for the common good. Public witch hunts won’t bring Phoebe Prince back. What’s more, they make it harder to learn how to prevent such tragedies in the future.
Dan Cheever
Wareham
The writer was superintendent of schools in Lincoln and Weston and was president of Wheelock and Simmons colleges.

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/e...16/witch_hunts_wont_bring_phoebe_prince_back/

State bill targeting bullying approved
Aims at school, cyber behavior; One of toughest measures in US

Administrators said the mandate to involve authorities in extreme bullying cases would give potential bullies pause. But some school officials said lawmakers had overreached and that the bill could lead to discipline for even minor incidents and create a bureaucratic nightmare.

“It’s a noble bill,’’ said Paul Dakin, superintendent of the Revere public schools. “But it remains to be seen how policy set at the State House can be practically implemented in our schools. As the rubber hits the road, it’s another unfunded mandate.’’

Others said the measure did not go far enough, citing the bill’s lack of penalties for employees who do not report bullying.

“It lacks teeth,’’ said Representative Robert S. Hargraves, a Groton Republican and former high school principal. “But anything is better than nothing.’’

Antonio Cabral, a New Bedford Democrat, agreed the threat of fines would have strengthened the bill, but said he believed school officials would do their best to comply with the law.

Others faulted the bill for not making bullying a crime, but legislators said prosecutors have plenty of weapons in existing statutes, such as those against stalking and harassment. The legislation would amend harassment and stalking laws to include electronic communication.

Civil libertarians said the bill defines bullying so broadly that students could get in trouble for teasing or other free speech that, while offensive, is constitutionally protected.

The bill defines bullying as repeated acts that cause physical or emotional harm, place students “in reasonable fear of harm,’’ or create an “unwelcoming or hostile environment at school for another person.’’

It prohibits bullying on school grounds, on school buses, at school-sponsored activities, and through electronic communications. Bullying via e-mail or social networking sites such as Facebook would fall under the purview of the schools when it creates a hostile school environment, legislators said.

Supporters, recalling the heartrending testimony of students who had been bullied, said the problem demanded a legal remedy.

“It’s so profoundly disturbing, what the adults are letting them get away with,’’ said Representative Martha M. Walz, House chairwoman of the Education Committee and the bill’s primary author.

Some parents said they hoped the bill would force adults to take bullying more seriously, but added that the jury was out. “You can have as many policies and laws as you want, but they have to be followed consistently,’’ said Laurie Reisner, a Dedham mother who leads a parents group that discusses bullying. “It’s going to be up to the teachers and the administrators to step up.’’

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...tate_bill_targeting_bullying_approved/?page=2

Suicide is NEVER something to take lightly. Neither is stalking. And the parents of the "Mean Girls" should be held responsible for letting their kids think they are better than anyone else. I believe suicide is a terrible, lonely decision, but it is the decision of the person and them only. But the people who intentionally drive a person to that end should hold themselves responsible for destroying another’s life. It took me many years for me to realize that "What you think of me is NONE of my business". In fact I'm still learning. Kids haven’t been through enough social and professional experiences to have that instinct. Kids generally think more like “what can I do to make you like me?â€￾ To be bullied at school is one thing, but to be followed home, and fucked with on the internet? For a teenager that's hell. As for “just turning offâ€￾ the internet or not reading what people are saying about me, well…..If there’s no threat to my welfare, I will learn to walk away. But if there IS a threat, I will read EVERYTHING that ANYONE is saying about me. I want to know which way the next threat is coming and be prepared for it. That’s what a victim of stalking SHOULD do. Along with reporting it to anyone who will listen. But I am an adult, and that is learned behavior for me. I am a redhead too. We got some pretty bad teasing, but I didn’t get bullied bad until I was in high school. Then, well I learned. Jealousy comes in many forms. This girl probably dated the guy that all the girls had been eying. That’ll piss off any cheerleader! That’s why I don’t blame the girl for reading everything, she needed to know when she went to school what was being said so she could try to defend herself. Feeling like you HAVE to defend yourself would be the moral definition of being bullied (to me). Feeling like you can never defend yourself would be a means to an end, so to speak. Then having ANYONE continue this bullshit after your gone is the ultimate assault. Maybe someone might think I have too much empathy for the girl, but it’s just the way I see it.

Today show video.

Phoebe tried to kill herself before. She was also a cutter.

[ame="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/38341188#38341188"]msnbc.com Video Player[/ame]

I'm Sorry, but these kids are responsible for every single thing they did. Phoebe is responsible for her own death. But the things that these kids did and said contributed to her death.

Kids need to be taught to bear the consequences of their words. Words are far more powerful than some think. It may sound weird, but I sort of don't blame the kids, I blame their actions. Who is responsible for their actions? How do you handle that legally? I dunno.

But I hate bullies.

Last edited:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/2...n-self-mutilating-party-girl/?test=latestnews

Phoebe Prince's Family Slams Report That Teen Was Self-Mutilating Party Girl

Few of the devastating details divulged in the report have been made public before, and Phoebe's family said the piece is an unjust slight that has reopened fresh wounds since the girl's January 14 suicide.

"It resurfaced everything," Phoebe's aunt, Eileen Moore, told the Herald. "We relive it."

Friends and family called the piece a hatchet job meant to deflect blame from the teens who had bullied Phoebe before her death.

"It's been going on since the beginning — let's further victimize the victim," Darby O'Brien, a friend of the Prince family, told the Herald. "As far as this whole troubled kid thing, well, kids don't commit suicide unless they're troubled. This (bullying) just pushed her over the edge."

Wow... this kind of thing makes me just absolutely incoherent with fury... I was bullied as a teen until I quit school in the 11th grade; thankfully I didn't go as far as suicide, but my days were living hell at school. Thank God my parents supported me and backed me up when I saw the school counselor (again) who told me (again) to suck it up and stop acting like such a baby, etc etc... Ohhh, I can feel my blood pressure rising just thinking about it... and this was 23 years ago!! Goddam fucking parents who do nothing to try to instill morals and values in their children, and let them run all over hell doing whatever the hell they want to and never having to answer for any of it.... GAH!!! :rant:

Kids need to be taught to bear the consequences of their words. Words are far more powerful than some think.
QFT- this is absolutely accurate.

Nothing like money and a good marketing team to divert the blame
One of the big advantages the wealthy have

Ultimately, if you kill yourself you are responsible for that.

I feel sorry for her if she was bullied into depression and all, but take all the emotion out of it, if we allow other people to become responsible for someones suicide, cutting ect.. It removes all personal responsibility. Pheobe paid the ultimate price for her own self loathing.

Ultimately, if you kill yourself you are responsible for that.

I feel sorry for her if she was bullied into depression and all, but take all the emotion out of it, if we allow other people to become responsible for someones suicide, cutting ect.. It removes all personal responsibility. Pheobe paid the ultimate price for her own self loathing.
Probably true, but you have to admit the wealthy do have an advantage, The law is not equal, and paying for the right publicity is a big plus. Having the advantage of a large law firm with marketing connections to get your version out there and possibly keep some editors from investigating other points of view, is what all the wealthy, movie stars and Athletes do
It can be somewhat bad initially, but by constantly putting advantages stories out there and then avoiding the issue altogether, it becomes a negative/positive and your involvement is negated

Wow... this kind of thing makes me just absolutely incoherent with fury... I was bullied as a teen until I quit school in the 11th grade; thankfully I didn't go as far as suicide, but my days were living hell at school. Thank God my parents supported me and backed me up when I saw the school counselor (again) who told me (again) to suck it up and stop acting like such a baby, etc etc... Ohhh, I can feel my blood pressure rising just thinking about it... and this was 23 years ago!! Goddam fucking parents who do nothing to try to instill morals and values in their children, and let them run all over hell doing whatever the hell they want to and never having to answer for any of it.... GAH!!! :rant:

QFT- this is absolutely accurate.

I was bullied as well. Long story about what I went through (turned blue once) but it's all about jealousy.

Probably true, but you have to admit the wealthy do have an advantage, The law is not equal, and paying for the right publicity is a big plus. Having the advantage of a large law firm with marketing connections to get your version out there and possibly keep some editors from investigating other points of view, is what all the wealthy, movie stars and Athletes do
It can be somewhat bad initially, but by constantly putting advantages stories out there and then avoiding the issue altogether, it becomes a negative/positive and your involvement is negated
Yeah biteme, your point was not lost on me, although I failed to convey I agree with your comment. Used your post as a jump off. Your right, it like any legal scuffle or PR war, if you have the money and connections you will most likely win. Just like running for president or any other office, oil spills and scandals.. Sad...
I had not commented in this thread because it was it was too wrapped up in emotions. Take all that out, she killed herself. Took the easy way out. No excuse. she is responsible for her death. I have had many things in my life where I could have checked out. I never considered it. If I had done that it would be my responsibility and only me to blame. Nothing is worth that.

You guy's have to read some fucking bullshit ass reporter Emily Bazelon wrote on the MSN today...Look it up,it is huge or I would copy and pasted it....It sounds like the parents of the kids who bullied her paid her to do it....MSN the slate is the page...

Lawyers for two teenagers accused of bullying a Massachusetts high school freshman before she killed herself have asked a judge to let them see the girl's medical records in an effort to show that she was suicidal long before she took her own life.Six former South Hadley students are charged in connection with 15-year-old Phoebe Prince's death in January. All have pleaded not guilty.
The Republican of Springfield reports that lawyers for defendants Flannery Mullins and Sharon Velazquez filed the motion on Monday.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jtSfPUlJn7oUv4nT-KF2Kqs7J6mQD9HGIH0G0

There have been reports that Prince had a history of depression and suicidal tendencies before moving to Western Massachusetts from her native Ireland. Now, The Republican newspaper has reported that the lawyers representing Flannery Mullins and Sharon Velazquez want to find out for sure.
According to their report, motions were filed by those attorneys in an effort to access Prince’s medical records.
In July, Slate.com interviewed Prince’s father, who said that she had been hospitalized in November for a drug overdose. He, however, referred to it as a call for help, and not a suicide attempt. Other reports have indicated that Prince had a problem with depression and bullying in Ireland before she moved to South Hadley.
http://www.wwlp.com/dpp/news/local/hampshire/Access-to-Prince-medical-records-sought

You guy's have to read some fucking bullshit ass reporter Emily Bazelon wrote on the MSN today...Look it up,it is huge or I would copy and pasted it....It sounds like the parents of the kids who bullied her paid her to do it....MSN the slate is the page...

I didn't read that article, but I did find her latest when I found this one in the Boston Globe.

Report: Phoebe Prince participated in bullying in Ireland

Phoebe Prince, the South Hadley teenager who committed suicide after being bullied, acted like a bully herself in her native Ireland before she moved to the United States, according to a published report.

Prince was among a group of about five girls who made another girl miserable between about March 2008 and the end of school in June that year, Emily Bazelon reported today in the online magazine Slate.

"I'd come to school and they'd all be there, making up horrid songs about me, going around singing them to everyone. It just never stopped," the victim told Bazelon. "They all kind of like followed each other."

"Phoebe and Heather [not her real name] made up most of the stuff, laughing about it, making jokes. One time, we were in English class and we had to write an essay. Phoebe wrote about a girl and called her a slut who stole her boyfriend. She said in front of the whole class that it was me. I hadn't even kissed a boy yet," the victim said.

Bazelon said the victim's mother had provided her with printouts mocking her daughter on a social networking site. Bazelon said that one she traced to Prince referred to the victim as a "paki whore" -- an apparent reference to the victim's father, who is from a Middle Eastern country. It was an eerie echo of the allegation in the South Hadley case that Prince was called an "Irish whore" by those bullying her.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/08/report_phoebe_p.html

Article by Emily Bazelon.

Was Phoebe Prince Once a Bully? http://www.slate.com/id/2263470/

Links to her previous articles. http://www.slate.com/id/2242320/landing/1/

Maybe, or maybe rich families that can afford top law firms with great marketing firms with access to reporters, who can turn public opinion in their favor
and get their little darlings off the hook. The focus has already been taken off the little darlings and is now on destroying the victim one more time.

So was she bullied in Ireland or a bully? I've read both. I don't remember where but I did read that was part of the reason for the move somewhere...

So was she bullied in Ireland or a bully? I've read both. I don't remember where but I did read that was part of the reason for the move somewhere...

Either way she didn't deserve to be driven to her death. I'm kind of speechless that she participated in bullying and tagged a girl as a "Paki Whore" and tortured her on facebook. If that is true then....I just don't know what to say. It's chilling that almost the exact same thing happened to her here.

Back