• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-43838985
_97671566_ship1.jpg

Ollie Ferguson, eight, and Harry, five, from Turriff, first launched their Playmobil pirate ship called Adventure from Peterhead in May last year.
_97671573_ship2.jpg

It initially reached Scandinavia, and is now off Guyana.

Their father said the tracker battery power was currently at about 25% and it needed to be recharged.

The boys launched the pirate ship as part of a bucket list of adventures they put together.

The ship needed some adaptations before it was ready to tackle the North Sea.

A counterweight was added to help it stay upright, and it was filled with polystyrene to help it stay afloat.

After trials in a swimming pool, they took it to the coast and launched it.

The ship carries a message asking anyone who finds it to launch Adventure back into the sea.

The boys' father, MacNeill Ferguson, told the BBC Scotland news website: "The tracker pings a location twice a day [....]
_97674556_ship3.jpg

"The Stena Carron offshore vessel heard about her travels, they were quite close, and said they were excited, the 120 crew have been keeping an eye out.

"They said if any other vessels are in the area they will make contact with them.

"We cannot expect them to do too much for a toy boat.

"It's just a USB port, as long as she is floating and recharged she will be fine."
_97674558_ship4.jpg

[....]

That's cool!
[doublepost=1524237832,1524236441][/doublepost]So, I did some more looking. Last week it had stopped transmitting, but apparently the Stena Carron found it and recharged it. Now it's on its way to the Bahamas. :)

That's epic. xD Great way to chart ocean currents, too (Yes, I know that's not why they did it, but still...)

Not many kids could say that they sent a toy boat on a round the world cruise... xD

I used to look for bottles with messages all the time at the beach and threw a few out as well. No replies.

Latest posts

Back