• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
kinda late to the party but just saw this now,,better late then never

Elaina Steinfurth, 1, went missing from Toledo on June 2
Missing girl's mom arrested for child endangering
Have info? Call the tipline at 1-800-CALL-FBI

2ldpwl.jpg
Angela Steinfurth​
The mother of a missing 18-month-old Toledo, Ohio toddler was arrested Wednesday night on one count of child endangering.

Angela Steinfurth, 26, also known as Angela J. Mories, is being held at the Lucas County Jail on a $250,000 bond.

Steinfurth’s 18-month-old daughter Elaina went missing from an East Toledo home on June 2 where the missing girl’s mother was staying with her ex-boyfriend, Steven King.

King’s mother, Julie King, owns the home where Elaina was last seen alive. She told the Nancy Grace show Tuesday that the last time her son saw Elaina was about 12:30 p.m. on June 2 when Steinfurth changed her diaper and put her down for a nap.

Family members realized Elaina was missing after her father, Terry Steinfurth Jr., came to the house to pick up Elaina and her 4-year-old sister during a custody exchange.

According to police, Steinfurth allowed her husband to take their 4-year-old daughter, but refused to hand over Elaina.

Elaina’s father then went home to pick up his father to help convince his wife to hand over Elaina, Captain Brad Weis of the Toledo Police Department told Nancy Grace Wednesday night.

“At that time, the discussions were further about who was going to get the child, and the child was sleeping. Elaina’s mother didn’t want to wake her,â€￾ Captain Weis added.

Terry Steinfurth Sr., Elaina’s paternal grandfather, spoke to Nancy Grace Wednesday night about what happened when he and his son arrived at the King’s home in an attempt to retrieve Elaina.

“Angela and I argued that she wasn`t going to give me the baby because my son wouldn`t let her have her back if she did,â€￾ Steinfurth Sr. said.

“After a short period of time, she agreed to give her [Elaina] to me…I heard what I thought was the baby crying at first. I figured she woke her up. And then I realized it was Angela crying and screaming that she was not going to give me the baby because if she did, she`d never see it again,â€￾ Steinfurth Sr. said.

About fifteen minutes later, the missing girl’s grandfather told Grace that Elaina’s mother came running out of the house, and screamed, “The baby is gone!â€￾

“I don`t see how the baby could go out without somebody seeing them carry it out,â€￾ Steinfurth Sr. added.

According to an arrest affidavit filed in the case, police say Elaina’s mother “did violate her duty of care, protection and support with respect to her minor child [redacted] 18 months of age.â€￾

“Steinfurth did admit to law enforcement officers that she was aware that her minor child had sustained serious physical injury and that her minor child required medical treatment…[she] further admitted that she failed to ensure that her minor child received the necessary medical treatment for that said injury,â€￾ the document added.

Angela Steinfurth’s stepfather, Richard Schiewe, told the Nancy Grace show Thursday that Steinfurth called him from jail Wednesday night after she was arrested.

“Nobody is saying if she [Elaina] is alive. I told detectives last week we are not going to find her alive and that’s what my gut is telling me,â€￾ Schiewe said.

Steinfurth’s public defender James MacHarg could not be reached for a comment Thursday. HLN’s repeated calls to Steinfurth for a statement have not been returned.

A preliminary hearing in the case is scheduled for June 20.

Elaina has blue eyes and brown hair. She’s approximately 2 feet tall and weighs 21 pounds. She was last seen wearing orange shorts with flowers.
[....]
http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/06/13/missing-baby-elainas-mother-arrested
wmch87.jpg

So what's the timeline on this one? When did the dad come to take custody--the same day Elena was last seen getting a diaper change?

Was she already missing by the time he showed up?

It seems to me that the comment about his not giving her back reveals that she was probably all bruised up or something and her condition would make him keep her from her mother for her own good.

So what's the timeline on this one? When did the dad come to take custody--the same day Elena was last seen getting a diaper change?

Was she already missing by the time he showed up?

It seems to me that the comment about his not giving her back reveals that she was probably all bruised up or something and her condition would make him keep her from her mother for her own good.

she was reported missing June 2 only after dad went to the house for visitation and she wouldnt give him the baby
went back with his dad and she pulled drama llama saying she was JUST kidnanaped so who knows how long shes been gone

So if King's mother is not lying, Elena was seen the day her mother refused to hand her over. Which makes me think she's stashed in a wall or crawlspace, or someone came and took her when mom called. Because I have to assume that sometime that day the police did search the house. But, if she's admitting that Elena was injured badly, it seems more likely that she found a loose floorboard or something and just stashed her. Get the dogs!

yuDc9Sl.jpg
As the search continues for the young girl last seen in a Federal Street home June 2, her mother, Angela Steinfurth, appeared in court Thursday on a charge of child endangering.

Police allege Mrs. Steinfurth, 26, of 329 Valleywood Dr. knew her daughter was seriously injured and required medical treatment, but never took the toddler for help. Court records indicate the injuries occurred “on or about June 2,â€￾ the day the tot went missing.

Handcuffed and dressed in a navy jail jumpsuit, Mrs. Steinfurth wept as she was led into a Toledo Municipal courtroom for her arraignment.

Judge Robert G. Christiansen ordered she be held in the Lucas County jail in lieu of $250,000 bond.
[...]

After the arraignment, her stepfather, Richard Schiewe said his daughter should have cooperated with police from the start.

“My daughter made a huge mistake and she’s got to pay the consequences,â€￾ he said.

Mr. Schiewe said he hopes Elaina will be found alive. But he has believed the girl is dead since Mrs. Steinfurth reported finding a freshly used diaper — the same size and brand as Elaina’s — along the banks of the Maumee River on June 6.

“She’s guilty of not taking care of that baby like she should have,â€￾ Mr. Schiewe said. “She should have taken that baby to the hospital ... â€￾

Mr. Schiewe said Mrs. Steinfurth told him her boyfriend, Steven King II, dropped the girl. She reportedly told her stepfather she does not know where the girl is.

“The condition of the baby and the severity of the injuries, I can’t tell ya,â€￾ Toledo police Capt. Wes Bombrys said during a news conference Thursday. “We don’t know. The location of Elaina, we still don’t know, and that’s why we say it’s still an ongoing investigation.â€￾

The captain said the case is still a missing-person investigation and has not been reclassified as a homicide.

He declined to comment on who possibly injured the young girl.

“We’ve charged her at this point with what we believe is appropriate,â€￾ he said. “Additional charges? Possibly. May not. … Wherever our investigation leads us, we’re going to continue searching for her.â€￾

The girl’s father, Terry Steinfurth, Jr., and paternal grandfather, Terry Steinfurth, Sr., held a news conference Thursday night at the East Toledo Family Center.

When asked about his estranged wife’s involvement, the younger Mr. Steinfurth said he did not want to speculate. “I’m not gonna bash anybody,â€￾ he said. “I feel justice is being served. She made several mistakes.â€￾
[...]

After Mrs. Steinfurth found the diaper near the Maumee River, police and the Toledo Fire Department’s dive team spent hours searching the area and river.

That same day, Mrs. Steinfurth said she was frustrated about news stories with online commenters accusing her of being involved in the disappearance. “If I had something to do with it, why would I be here?â€￾ she asked.
[...]

As the search for Elaina creeps up on its two-week mark, her father maintains hope the girl is alive. “I hope my daughter is OK and comes home,â€￾ he said. “It’s been 11 days and she’s still gone. I’m still in shock.â€￾
http://www.toledoblade.com/Police-Fire/2013/06/14/Mom-accused-of-not-getting-help.html

[video=youtube;k-WcfZGJg1w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-WcfZGJg1w[/video]
Less than 24 hours after the mother of a missing East Toledo toddler was arrested for child endangerment, an anonymous source released surveillance video that shows her in a different light.

According to the source, the video was taken the day before the toddler was reported missing. Angela Steinfurth can be seen kissing 18-month-old Elaina Steinfurth on the head and cradling her.

The person that released the video (only to WNWO's Bryant Maddrick) says the surveillance images were captured at his home near Raymer Elementary School in East Toledo.

The residence, where the video was taken, is about eleven blocks away from where Elaina Steinfurth was last seen on the afternoon of June 2.
http://www.northwestohio.com/neighb...87438506_48790_1277065941 03732#.UbtY2JymXKc

OK, little confused here...

So, she refuses to give up the baby because she's sleeping. She finally relents after realizing they are not backing down, and ta-da! she's missing! What interesting timing. They report it to the police, and she has states she had nothing to do with the disappearance, I think? A few days later she tells her stepfather that she found Elaina's diaper, oh and that her BF dropped the girl, which insinuates that she's dead, and the bf is a suspect. So, are the cops basing the their current charges on what the step-father said, or did she collaborate his story, because I can't understand how else they would know, with no baby.

ETA: Ok, just read the second last link, which answered my question.

Also from that article:

But Steinfurth's father, Richard Schiewe, told reporters the only mistake his daughter made was trusting her ex-boyfriend, Steven King, Jr.

"She doesn't know where the baby's at, but she knew what happened to the baby," he said when asked about the child's injury. "I was told the boyfriend dropped the baby and she had serious physical injuries."

Seriously? The only mistake? What does trusting your bf have to do with not taking your injured baby to seek medical attention that you are well aware she is in desperate need of? What does trusting him have to with withholding this info from the police? What does it have to do with lying to the baby's father when he comes to pick her up?

Last edited:
Baby Elaina's injuries revealed and national TV interviews uncover new information

TOLEDO -- As the 16th day of searching for 18-month-old Elaina Steinfurth came to a close on Monday, WNWO was able to obtain exclusive information on the toddler's injuries prior to her disappearance.

The source, who only wanted to be identified as Frank, is the same man who provided WNWO with exclusive surveillance video showing Elaina and her mother the day before the child was last seen, June 2.

Frank, who has remained anonymous until now, said he was looking to release the information so that the public could hear what Elaina's mother says happened.

"[Elaina's mother] told me about the baby having a black eye, a bump on the head and just a little bit of dry blood around the nostril. But I was like well what's that all about...and she said that when she woke up the baby was like that...I said well why didn't you call ...take her to the hospital or call the police or whatever...She told me that she asked Steven, the boyfriend, to check on the baby to make sure the baby was ok medically. The boyfriend overlooked the child and said she was going to be fine," Frank said of his conversation with Angela Steinfurth, Elaina's mother.

It was after Frank gave that information to investigators that Angela Steinfurth was arrested for child endangerment, for which she remained jailed on Monday night.

Last week, during a press conference on Angela Steinfurth's arrest, Toledo Police would not specify the injuries Elaina sustained but did confirm she suffered "a serious injury" and said her mother did not seek medical treatment.

In his latest interview with WNWO, Frank also wanted to clarify why he had surveillance of Angela Steinfurth and baby Elaina from his home. He said the camera had been set up months ago following a spike in crime within his East Toledo neighborhood and had nothing to do with the current case.

Frank, who calls himself a friend of both Angela Steinfurth and her estranged husband, will also share these details with HLN's Nancy Grace on her show Tuesday evening.

[...]

On Jane Velez-Mitchell's show, a senior producer released the findings from a "background check" on Angela Steinfurth's ex-boyfriend, Steven King, that showed he has a number of unpaid debts.
In a previous interview with WNWO, King's mother insisted that her son had nothing to do with the case. The mother admits that Steven went into hiding after receiving death threats. She adds that, despite being out of the public eye, her son has been fully cooperating with authorities and has not been charged with anything.

Interviews with Elaina's father and paternal grandfather, on Nancy Grace's Monday night show, revealed that King nearly got into a physical altercation with the pair on the day the toddler went missing. [...]
Grace also spoke with Angela Steinfurth's step-father, Richard Schiewe, who indicated that his step-daughter may be withholding information from authorities because she was "threatened." He told Grace that, on Thursday, from behind bars, Angela Steinfurth told him that she did know who took the baby from the home but did not know where the baby was taken.
http://www.northwestohio.com/news/story.aspx?id=910985#.UcCUipywU8q

FBI divers search for missing NW Ohio toddler

TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — An FBI dive team is joining the search in northwest Ohio for a 1-year-old girl missing for more than two weeks.

FBI spokeswoman Vicki Anderson tells The Blade newspaper of Toledo that they have information that led the dive team to search the Maumee River near downtown Toledo this week.

The girl’s mother was charged last week with felony child endangering.

Investigators say Angela Steinfurth knew her daughter, Elaina, had been seriously injured and didn’t seek medical help.

They wouldn’t say what type of injuries the toddler had or who caused them.

Authorities, including the FBI, already have searched homes, vacant buildings and parks for any sign of Elaina
[....]
http://www.vindy.com/news/2013/jun/18/fbi-divers-search-missing-nw-ohio-toddler/?newswatch

Ok, so she supposedly knows who kidnapped the baby but not where the baby was taken but won't tell because she is being "threatened"?

Really? We are supposed to believe that? We are supposed to believe that a mother, a true mother, would EVER place herself above her children? If someone took one of my boys and threatened me not to tell, I'm gonna sing like a canary. Go ahead, do what you need to to me but find my boy and get him safely back into my family's arms.

Ok, so she supposedly knows who kidnapped the baby but not where the baby was taken but won't tell because she is being "threatened"?

Really? We are supposed to believe that? We are supposed to believe that a mother, a true mother, would EVER place herself above her children? If someone took one of my boys and threatened me not to tell, I'm gonna sing like a canary. Go ahead, do what you need to to me but find my boy and get him safely back into my family's arms.

Same thing Casey Anthony told her parents and they bought it

not to say he didn't do shit..but come on..
On Jane Velez-Mitchell's show, a senior producer released the findings from a "background check" on Angela Steinfurth's ex-boyfriend, Steven King, that showed he has a number of unpaid debts.
what the hell does that have to do with the price of tea in china.

She told me that she asked Steven, the boyfriend, to check on the baby to make sure the baby was ok medically. The boyfriend overlooked the child and said she was going to be fine

And she would have believed him because......? I didn't read where it said he was a qualified pediatrician? :stupido3:

Family of missing toddler fights outside courthouse

[video=youtube;mcZZcMz5CRg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcZZcMz5CRg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Shouting match follows court appearance by missing toddler's mother
A shouting match nearly escalated into a physical fight between the estranged husband and stepfather of Angela Steinfurth today outside Toledo Municipal Court.

The parties were in court today as Mrs. Steinfurth, 25, appeared for a preliminary hearing before Judge Amy Berling.

The case was continued to Monday, as requested by the Toledo Police Department through the prosecutor.

Mrs. Steinfurth is charged with one count of child endangering and is being held in the Lucas County jail in lieu of $250,000 bond.

Her daughter, Elaina Steinfurth, 18 months old, has been missing since June 2.

The shouting started while Richard Schiewe, Mrs. Steinfurth's stepfather, was speaking to a reporter.

"People are driving by my house shouting, 'Baby killer,' " he said.

Elaina's father, Terry Steinfurth, Jr., 25, was nearby and said, "They're saying bring Elaina home. Get it right."

The shouting continued, with other people becoming involved, threatening to fight and swearing, for about a minute before a man who described himself as a prosecutor walked up and told everyone to settle down.

Mr. Steinfurth, who was with his father and girlfriend, left;
[...]
http://www.toledoblade.com/Courts/2...ing-toddler-s-mother.html#ogghMmcpgD8UtLuE.01
aui3o5.jpg
Angela Steinfurth, 25, appears for a pretrial in Toledo Municipal Court today​

[MENTION=1346]Whisper[/MENTION], exactly what I was going to say, shades of Casey Anthony, tho I'm hoping that this baby doesn't end up in the same condition that Caylee did, but you know she's not living.

Baby Elaina’s mother indicted for obstruction

Grand jury indicts Angela Steinfurth for obstructing justice
Her daughter Elaina was reported missing on June 2
New witness claims possible sighting of mother and daughter hours before Elaina was reported missing

A Lucas County grand jury has indicted the mother of missing 18-month-old Elaina Steinfurth on a charge of obstructing justice.

Angela Steinfurth of Toledo, Ohio had been scheduled for a preliminary hearing Monday in Toledo Municipal Court on a child endangerment charge, but court records show prosecutors dropped the charge and said they would bring the case before the grand jury for an indictment.

The indictment for obstructing justice does not include specific details of the allegations against Steinfurth, but it accuses her of communicating false information to "hinder the discovery, apprehension, prosecution, conviction, or punishment of another for crime or to assist another to benefit from the commission of a crime."

The Lucas County Prosecutor's Office declined to comment on the indictment Monday.

Ginger Smith, a relative of Elaina’s father Terry Steinfurth Jr., told WTOL Monday morning that the family is happy to see the case moving forward.

Municipal court documents had alleged that Angela Steinfurth failed to seek medical attention for the 18-month-old after she suffered an injury. Angela initially told police she last saw Elaina when she put her down for a nap at her ex-boyfriend Steven King’s home around 12:30 p.m. on June 2.

After Terry Steinfurth Jr. arrived at the house to pick up Elaina and her sister later that afternoon, Angela claimed Elaina was missing.

Angela Steinfurth was arrested on June 12. Her preliminary hearing had originally been scheduled for June 20 but was delayed at the request of police.

Her attorney has not returned calls seeking comment on the case.

A police report obtained by HLN Monday reveals details of a possible sighting of Elaina hours before she was reported missing that could alter the reported timeline of the case.

An employee at a Gas-N-Go station about a mile from the house where Elaina was reportedly last seen told Toledo police that she believed Angela and Elaina came in sometime between 7 and 9:45 a.m. on June 2.

The employee said she was certain it was Angela because Angela also used to work at the gas station. She said Angela bought some glazed honey buns and juice and paid with her food stamp card.

According to the employee, Elaina was grabbing for items but was not talking.

She said Angela should have been caught on the station’s video system, but the report stated they were having problems with the system and a detective was unable to view the video to confirm it.

Previously, family members of Angela’s ex-boyfriend have indicated that no adults besides the two of them saw Elaina at all that morning.

Angela’s sister and a family friend claimed last week that Angela told them Elaina had a black eye and broken nose when she woke up that day.

The Gas-N-Go employee told HLN that the baby who was with the woman she believed to be Angela Steinfurth did not appear to be injured.

Captain Brad Weis of the Toledo Police Department told HLN Monday that there are no active searches planned today, but investigators are following up on credible leads as they come in.

Weis said police searched near the Anthony Wayne Bridge after receiving a tip Friday, but they found nothing.
[...]
http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/06/24/baby-elainas-mother-indicted-obstruction?hpt=ju_r1

Baby Elaina's Dad worried case being pushed to back burner
TOLEDO, Ohio -

Baby Elaina's father, T. J. Steinfurth, doesn't want his daughter forgotten.

It's been nearly a month since the toddler was reported missing. Today members of Elaina's family were at the High Level Bridge where volunteers have conducted numerous searches in recent weeks.

Elaina's dad says more needs to be done to bring his daughter home.

"To me it feels like it's just getting pushed onto the back burner. So, hopefully maybe now someone will see this and they will step up their game and actually get down here and help, because that's what we need."

The family is concerned because they think police may have found some new evidence Saturday. But T. J. Steinfurth says authorities tell him they won't put divers in the water until Monday.

Elaina's mother, Angela Steinfurth is behind bars on charges she lied to investigators the day the toddler disappeared on June 2.
[....]
http://www.erietvnews.com/story/22722738/baby-elainas-dad

Fisherman snags hair on line, Baby Elaina's family waits for answers

Divers are expected to hit the Maumee river on Monday, after a fisherman found some hair in the water.

Searchers for Baby Elaina Steinfurth have urged boaters and fishermen to be vigilant and look for evidence. This weekend, Patrick Howard was out fishing with a friend underneath the Anthony Wayne Bridge when his line got snagged and nearly snapped his pole.

"I finally got my hook to come unloose, then once I got that out and was getting ready to cut it and call it a day and head home, that's when I discovered hair wrapped around my fishing hook."

After calling police, Howard says he flagged down search volunteers in the area. Police officers collected the tuft of brownish blonde hair.

It's still not known if the hair is human or animal.

Elaina's grandfather Terry Steinfurth says, "We're hoping it proves something one way or the other. We just need to find her and bring her home. It's getting harder the longer it goes." He says the family was frustrated when authorities told them the discovery did not warrant a dive team.
[..]
http://www.erietvnews.com/story/22727571/fisherman-snags-hair-on-his-line

another fisherman found hair

After 2 report finding 'hair', Baby Elaina searchers comb bottom of Maumee River themselves
TOLEDO -- A new report has surfaced that another fisherman turned over a "clump of hair", to Toledo Police, that was allegedly retrieved from the water below the High Level Bridge.

The information is the latest in a series of potential leads in the case of missing 18-month-old Elaina Steinfurth, who disappeared from an East Toledo home on June 2nd.

In the weeks since Baby Elaina's disappearance, there have been several reports that her body may have been disposed of in the Maumee River near the High Level Bridge.

The latest fisherman, Greg Boswell, tells WNWO that he found the "hair" on June 23rd, almost a week before the Toledo Blade reported that another fisherman, named Patrick Howard, made a similar discovery.

Boswell said that after finding the "hair" he retrieved a clean bag from a local store, then turned his discovery over to a female Toledo Police officer.

Boswell said that the officer, and several other law enforcement officials, were near his fishing spot conducting a search for the missing toddler.

Boswell said the officer told him the discovery would be processed for DNA evidence.

According to the Toledo Blade, Toledo police have reportedly sent both items to labs for testing.

In light of the latest news, volunteer searchers began combing the bottom of the Maumee River using grapnel anchors to search for more evidence themselves.

"Basically we're hoping to come up with anything that's down at the bottom, any evidence or anything that's down there," volunteer searcher Andres Perez said.

Perez said that the anchors were purchased by Elaina's father, T.J. Steinfurth.

Unfortunately, so far, volunteers have not been as "lucky" at finding clues as the two unsuspecting fisherman that found "hair".

"We found some cloth, a couple of bottles tied together with sand in them, a bunch of logs," Perez said of what he and another searcher found on Tuesday. "It's stuff that could be useful but then could be junk in the river."

Perez adds that some of the anchors that were left in the water, overnight on Monday, appeared to have been intentionally cut by the time they arrived on Tuesday.
[....]
http://www.northwestohio.com/news/s...w.northwestohio.com/news/story.aspx?id=917005

Last edited:
Give me 5 minutes with Mommy Dearest and I can get her to talk. Fuck, I bet I can get her to confess to all kinds of shit, Lindbergh kidnapping, JonBenet Ramsey. Come on, just 5 minutes is all I need, okay I only need about 1 and 1/2 the rest would be for my own amusement.

I really hate when there's so much circumstantial evidence, and everything seems to be pointing to one person, in this case, the mother, but there's no smoking gun, a la Casey Anthony. Hate. That.

WHy is it when I see the line about the shouting match outside the courthouse and see the guy with the voice box thingy (cannot think of the name now, my blonde is showing) I start to giggle at the little image I get in my head of him shouting? I know, I need professional help.

Missing Toddler Elaina Steinfurth's Fate May Be Explained by Horrifying Confession

How much stock do you put in jailhouse confessions? If you're a believer, then things are not looking good for missing toddler Elaina Steinfurth. A grand jury today added a charge of obstructing justice to the already pending charge of endangering the welfare of a child against her mom, Angela Mories Steinfurth.

And that's not the worst of it. Elaina's mom's fellow inmate at Lucas County Jail says the mother of two had a tragic tale to tell in prison.

A woman named Connie Elam claims Mories told her that little Elaina was thrown against a wall on the day she went missing. That would be consistent with the injuries a neighbor reported the little girl had, and explain why the mom is being charged with child endangerment for not seeking treatment for the 18-month-old's injuries.

But Elam's other claim is even more serious. The inmate says the little girl died and was thrown into the Maumee River by Mories and boyfriend Steven King.

The allegations are serious and seriously disturbing.

So how do we take them?

With a grain of salt, of course. There's no word on what Elam is charged with, but if she's in prison, who knows what her angle is ... or what kind of witness she can really be.

But consider this: Mories' stepfather, Richard Schiewe, told the press he believes his granddaughter is dead. Specifically, Schiewe said nearly two weeks ago that he believes Elaina's body will be found ... in the river.

Can that be coincidence?

Especially considering Elaina has been missing since June 2, and no one knows where the little girl is? At least not the police?
[.....]
http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_news/157473/missing_toddler_elaina_steinfurths_fate

Day 37: $10,000 reward still offered for missing Elaina

Toledo Police Sgt. Joe Heffernan says initial tests show hair found in the Maumee River by a fisherman over the weekend is human hair.

It is not yet known if the hair belongs to missing 1-year-old Elaina Steinfurth. Police say DNA tests to determine that could take weeks.

Toledo Fire and Rescue dive team crews went back in the river near the base of the Anthony Wayne Bridge for the first time in days. Crews had searched the area extensively in the weeks after the little girl disappeared, but called off searches in recent days.

Family and friends gathered once again on Federal Street for a candlelight vigil in honor of Elaina. They said that even though 32 days have passed since Elaina was discovered missing, they are still holding onto hope that she'll make it home.

"Our spirits are still up," said Ginger Smith, Elaina's cousin. "Do we have our down moments? We do...Sitting down by the river today was very trying, very upsetting, very emotional for a lot of us."
[...]
http://www.toledonewsnow.com/story/22481101/still-no-sign-of-missing-toddler

LUeOtzC.jpg

Two months after an East Toledo toddler went missing, the ex-boyfriend of the girl's mother faces a new charge in connection to the disappearance.

Steven King was indicted by a Lucas County Grand Jury Friday on a charge of obstructing justice, in connection with the disappearance of Elaina Steinfurth.

Prosecutors dropped the initial obstruction of justice charge against King on Friday. The case was then sent to a grand jury before being returned with an indictment against King on obstruction of justice.

King is the ex-boyfriend of Angela Steinfurth, Elaina's mother. Angela is also being held on a charge of obstruction of justice. The former couple is believed to be the last two people to see Elaine before she disappeared on June 2.

In late June, a report surfaced that Angela Steinfurth confessed to a fellow Lucas County Jail inmate that she and King threw Elaina's body in the Maumee River. "She told me they wrapped her up in blanket and took her down by the High Level Bridge," said a relative of the inmate. "And, he (King) stood behind her and she [Angela] threw this baby in the river."
[...]

On July 22, Toledo Police filed a complaint against King, allegeding he made numerous false statements to them. The complaint came after review of video and potential evidence collected during their investigation into Elaina's disappearance.

According to Ohio law, the obstructing justice charge against King is considered a felony of the third degree and can bring one to five years in prison and up to a $10,000 fine.

King remains in jail on a $250,000 bond.
http://www.northwestohio.com/news/story.aspx?id=929263#.UgLF7z_DKzk

Back