• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A family asked for their cat to be euthanized after he was given away but walked 12 miles back to his old home

The unnamed North Carolina family decided they no longer wanted the orange-and-white cat named Toby and gave him away.

But Toby wanted to return and walked 12 miles to make it back to his original owners.

However, instead of being greeted with joy, Toby was driven to a shelter where the family asked to have him euthanized, according to the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) of Wake County.

'The shelter called us at the SPCA to ask if we could take him in and help him find a new family,' the SPCA wrote on Facebook on April 4. 'Of course we said YES!'

According to The Charlotte Observer, the seven-year-old was diagnosed with feline immunodeficiency virus, more commonly known as feline AIDS, by SPCA staff in February.

The SPCA did not identify where Toby came from or who his original family was, though many people on social media said the family should not only be identified but blacklisted as well from adopting pets in the future.

Toby's story was used by the SPCA to promote its 2018 Dog Walk and Woofstock using the line: 'If he is willing to walk 12 miles to save his life, will you walk ONE to save thousands of animals like Toby?'

On Tuesday, the SPCA revealed that Toby had been adopted by a new family. He even has his own Instagram page where the new owner has shared pictures of the feline adjusting to life in his new home.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-euthanized-walked-12-miles-return-them.html
4B3FC4E600000578-5625665-image-a-53_1523975473595.jpg

[doublepost=1523991827,1523991778][/doublepost]
4B3FC7C300000578-5625665-image-a-64_1523975726848.jpg

cat loved their house so much it found its way back just for them to fucking kill it. now if that aint precious i dunno what is

. many people on social media said the family should not only be identified but blacklisted as well from adopting pets in the future.

The cat is sick and it's possible they lack the funds to give him the medical care he needs.
If he had no story, he would have been put down... Why? Because they ASPCA would not put one thin dime into an animal that doesn't have a story that can make a tidal wave of donations.

I honestly am not sure if all that is even true.
I have seen the humane society make up Whopper size stories on animals that I 100% knew wasn't true.

Without medical care, the kindest thing would be to have the cat put down. That is what the owner wanted. But hey, why kill a cash cow?
:cow:

Without medical care, the kindest thing would be to have the cat put down. That is what the owner wanted. But hey, why kill a cash cow?
:cow:

Is that really true, though? My parents adopted a formerly abandoned cat that's FIV positive, and he seems to have no symptoms or need special treatment whatsoever.

We just keep him away from bf's cat when we visit to avoid scuffles that could result in the little guy getting bitten and infected.

Maybe Toby shouldn't have been sharing needles and having high risk unprotected sex with hookers.
Oh CAT AIDS!
mmmmm
I got nuthin'

Hope the new owner takes better care of him
Wonder how much cha-ching this made for the SPCA.
They must have had massive "Donor Boner" when they realized they could use the story.

I just dealt with an FIV dump. Had him seperate from my other cats. Took him to the vet and he was fine, but she said FIV cats tend to decline after 8-10. I adopted him out, and got him back 3 months later bc he was peeing in their house. They didnt want to pay a vet visit, so I took him back. $1000 later found out he had uncontrolled diabetes (which I already figured) and lymphoma. So I euthanized him.

I still feel bad for him. I hope he had a good couple last months of his life.

Back