• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
BREAKING

Massive fire has erupted at Texas Chemical Plant outside of Cosby, Texas. The area had been evacuated. Black smoke carrying chemicals billows into the air as the fire spreads quickly and no fire fighting equipment is on site.

More Chemical Fires Erupt At Plant Damaged By Harvey

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017...es-erupt-at-chemical-plant-damaged-by-harvey/

Ownwers of the company are in France and are not concerned with the burnoff of dangerous toxic chemicals that are being released into the atmosphere.

Last edited:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/petition-honor-mattress-store-owner-opened-doors-harvey/story?id=49565176

As the catastrophic floodwaters forced residents all over the Houston area out of their homes, one business owner opened his doors, offering evacuees a safe and dry place to stay.

Jim McIngvale, better known as "Mattress Mack," decided to turn his two Gallery Furniture showrooms in the city into evacuation shelters.

"I decided we’d open the store and make it a shelter for all the people who were disaffected," McIngvale recently told ABC News. "We have these giant 24-foot box trucks that can get through 5 to 6 feet of water. We sent 'em out, picked up about 200 people. They were stranded on bridges, they were stranded in convenience stores, they were walking through the water with snakes and alligators, and we brought 'em out here."

Meanwhile over at Joel Osteen's Mega Church

https://www.yahoo.com/news/brutal-memes-mock-joel-osteen-085954515.html

The Houston megachurch leader has seen his name trend repeatedly in the days since Hurricane Harvey brought floods to the city, in large part because his 16,500-seat Lakewood Church wasn’t open to those seeking shelter.

Osteen insisted there were “safety issues” caused by the flooding, but he also said it was because the church was never asked by the city to become a shelter.

“If they would have asked us to become a shelter early on, we would have prepared for it,” he told NBC’s “Today” on Wednesday.

I think i speak for all of decent society when i say that at least a tragedy like this yet again struck a scummy, disgusting southern shithole. Katrina did nothing but good and one could say the same for Harvey.

Hurricanes are natures way of righting the wrongs done by southern trash.

Sucks about the gas prices, but that should only last a while.

Last edited:
Family in Beaumont is knee deep in water and they STILL won't leave.
When a Howell gets froggy, it takes a court order to make them do ANYTHING.

I oughta know; we stayed here thru Gustave AND Katrina and refused to refugee to a shelter.
Because all the lowlife scumbags come out and steal everything in your house and tear the house up. No WAY, no DAY are thieving bastards gonna steal everything that ain't red hot or nailed down.

My local media wants us to panic over Irma.
Yeah. My area will likely be hit. It won't be like Houston.

BODY OF MISSING VOLUNTEER FOUND

Nearly four days after Harvey's record flooding slammed a rescue boat into an Interstate 45 frontage road bridge, family members of the final, missing volunteer pulled his body from Cypress Creek in Spring.

Alonso Guillen, a 31-year-old disc jockey from Lufkin, disappeared on Wednesday around midnight along with two friends after their boat hit the bridge over the creek and capsized. One of them was rescued after clinging to a tree in the rushing water, but days later, after the rains let up and the creek level receded, Guillen and Tomas Carreon Jr. were still missing.

Searchers spotted Carreon's body floating down the wide, swift-moving creek on Friday around 1 p.m.

On Sunday afternoon, Guillen's body floated past a sandy berm where family members had been keeping watch for days, staring out at the murky water. A relative dove in and pulled him to the shoulder of the creek until they were able to bring a boat over to get him onto shore.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...unteer-pulled-from-Cypress-Creek-12170986.php

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/05/new...Feed:+rss/cnn_latest+(RSS:+CNN+-+Most+Recent)

CVS is launching pop-up pharmacies to help Harvey victims.
The company said on Tuesday that it's working with the Texas Department of State Health Services to set up temporary pharmacies in emergency shelters in Austin, Dallas and San Antonio.

Pharmacists at the stations will help people refill prescriptions and offer counseling.

CVS (CVS) has also set up a mobile unit outside of the NRG Center stadium and conference facility in Houston, where people can pick up prescriptions, get vaccines and buy over-the-counter medications. The CVS website also features a list of stores that have reopened since the storm.

CVS isn't the only company that has deployed ad hoc pharmacies to help Harvey victims.

Walmart (WMT) set up a pharmacy inside the Dallas Convention Center last week, where evacuees could buy over-the-counter drugs and fill prescriptions. The service was available to everyone, including people who didn't have Walmart or Sam's Club pharmacy accounts.

San Antonio-based grocery chain H-E-B also sent mobile units that included pharmacies to locations in need. H-E-B also sent out a Business Services unit, equipped with an ATM and kitchens designed to serve 2,500 meals per hour.

Each of the retailers have made donations toward Harvey relief efforts. The CVS Health Foundation is giving $200,000 in cash donations and has given over $90,000 in products. Walmart and the Walmart Foundation committed up to $20 million in cash and products for relief efforts, and H-E-B said it has given $1 million, including donations and relief units, so far.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...les-houstons-flood-damaged-cars-idUSKCN1BH2FG
HOUSTON (Reuters) - How do you remove hundreds of thousands of damaged cars from a massive city still mired in water and muck? Tow-truck driver Alex Toll will tell you: one vehicle at a time.

Toll is part of an army of more than 1,000 tow truck pilots contracted by Insurance Auto Auctions Inc (IAA), a unit of Carmel, Indiana-based KAR Auction Services Inc. Their job is to extricate vehicles swamped by Hurricane Harvey so insurance companies can begin the claims process.

Along with rival Copart Inc, IAA dominates the U.S. auto-salvage auction market. The company has a dedicated team that handles hurricanes and other large disasters for its insurance customers.

IAA set in motion a massive logistical operation in Houston before Harvey hit last weekend. It is now doing the same for Hurricane Irma, which is bearing down on Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands and could hit Florida by this weekend.

Just how many vehicles in South Texas were walloped by Harvey is not yet known. Cox Automotive, owner of the Autotrader online automobile market and Kelley Blue Book car valuation service, has estimated that between 300,000 and 500,000 vehicles were severely damaged or destroyed. That translates to potential losses of between $2.7 billion to $4.9 billion.
[....]
But before most Houston flood survivors can replace their cars, their insurance companies must first process claims. The firms will recoup some of their losses by re-selling flood-damaged vehicles, some for scrap metal and parts, others for transportation.

That salvage effort begins with drivers such as Toll. On Tuesday he was hustling to pick up a car from a subdivision in the Houston suburb of Baytown where all 240 houses were flooded. Along the way he dodged piles of soiled furniture, soggy carpet, old Christmas lights, even a water-logged piano.
[....]
Industry executives said Harvey could well end up being the biggest U.S. auto-salvage operation on record after Harvey dumped more than 50 inches of rain on parts of the nation’s fourth-largest city.
[....]
What’s clear is that many of those cars could end up back on the road in the U.S and elsewhere, and used-car buyers need to look sharp in the coming months.

Typically, about half of vehicles damaged after a flood are driven again, according to Carfax spokesman Chris Basso. The company estimates there are about 325,000 flood-damaged vehicles currently operating in the United States.

After Hurricane Katrina, thousands of cars submerged for weeks were cleaned up and sold as undamaged used cars, according to a 2009 Justice Department document. The government received several reports of consumers who perished in crashes after buying flood-damaged vehicles that had their airbags removed.

The federal government tightened rules on damage disclosure after Katrina. But how and what gets revealed on a vehicle’s title varies by state, said Basso of Carfax. He said Texas is among those requiring specific disclosure of flood damage.

Still, the non-profit National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) has warned that cars flooded by Harvey may be fraudulently re-registered to avoid declaring damage.

Under federal law, IAA must tell the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS) that a flooded car was salvaged twice: when an insurer assigns an insurance claim to them, and when they sell the vehicle, regardless of whom it is sold to.

The IAA’s Kett said the company also voluntarily reports all flood-damaged vehicles to the NICB and to federal regulators. He recommends consumers check a vehicle’s history before buying it.

Kett said freshwater flooding such as that caused by Harvey imposes less damage than salt water in, say, the tidal surge during Sandy, so he anticipates a lot of interest from prospective buyers
[....]
As soon as the hurricane’s path toward Houston became clear, the firm acquired or leased hundreds of acres where it could store damaged cars, in addition to the property the company already owned in the area.

“We were deploying people into the market ahead of time and in surrounding markets,” IAA’s Kett said.

The company has set up a mobile dispatch center and purchased an additional 35 forklifts to push metal around. IAA also has 30 people dedicated to resolving auto titles at the Texas state capitol in Austin.

It put out a nationwide call for more than 1,000 tow-trucks of all shapes and sizes. Toll, a Miami resident who was working in Nashville at the time on assignment for IAA, got word late Friday. He arrived in Houston the next night.

“In this business, we’re always packed and ready to go,” Toll said.

He and others are now working 12-hour, 7-day weeks picking up cars and hauling them to storage lots. They use IAA’s “Tow App” that shows insurers in real time when vehicles have been picked, processed and photographed for claims.
[....]
As soon as the hurricane’s path toward Houston became clear, the firm acquired or leased hundreds of acres where it could store damaged cars, in addition to the property the company already owned in the area.

“We were deploying people into the market ahead of time and in surrounding markets,” IAA’s Kett said.

The company has set up a mobile dispatch center and purchased an additional 35 forklifts to push metal around. IAA also has 30 people dedicated to resolving auto titles at the Texas state capitol in Austin.

It put out a nationwide call for more than 1,000 tow-trucks of all shapes and sizes. Toll, a Miami resident who was working in Nashville at the time on assignment for IAA, got word late Friday. He arrived in Houston the next night.

“In this business, we’re always packed and ready to go,” Toll said.

He and others are now working 12-hour, 7-day weeks picking up cars and hauling them to storage lots. They use IAA’s “Tow App” that shows insurers in real time when vehicles have been picked, processed and photographed for claims.
[....]
[doublepost=1504882563,1504809954][/doublepost]http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41191328
Seven members of the Texas emergency services are suing a chemical factory rocked by explosions and fires after Hurricane Harvey.

Lawyers allege that negligence caused flammable materials to ignite after the Arkema plant near Houston was flooded and lost power.
[....]
The lawsuit, filed in Harris County Court on Thursday, claimed Arkema "ignored the foreseeable consequences of failing to prepare".

It said that early on 31 August the first of several explosions took place and "immediately upon being exposed to the fumes... the police officers and first responders began to fall ill in the middle of the road".

It said emergency medical teams arrived "and even before exiting their vehicle they became overcome by the fumes as well. The scene was nothing less than chaos".

The court document alleged that no-one from Arkema alerted emergency services to the toxic fumes, adding: "Police officers were doubled over vomiting, unable to breathe. Medical personnel, in their attempts to provide assistance to the officers, became overwhelmed and they too began to vomit and gasp for air."

The seven are claiming more than $1m (£763,000) in damages.
[....]
An investigation into the incident has been launched by the federal Chemical Safety Board and the Environmental Protection Agency is monitoring the site for pollutants.

My very best BFF is in Tampa. I can't reach her on our phone or cell phones. I'm gonna have to call her Mom and find out where she is and if she's ok.

Hai y'all! Thanks for your concern, luvs you bitches. <3

Me: Fine. No flooding in my condo. I live by a lake on a peninsula down the street from my dad, and many in my neighborhood experienced flooding in their homes, some as much as 9 feet of water. Many businesses are still closed down or just opening, grocery store shelves are still sparse.

My neighborhood has NEVER experienced flooding before, now total devastation.

My mom: Without electricity for ten days, she was flooded in on all sides with some minimal flooding in her house, my son was also flooded in on all sides. After four days he was able to drive his truck as far as he could towing his john boat, and then took his john boat to rescue her, it took him four hours and she lives 20 minutes away from him. I love him. She is back home now.

My son: How did I birth such an amazing man? He was out helping with his little boat until the engine broke down. He rescued two little dogs, he still has them.

We are all safe, that is all that matters. Concerned about the safety of everyone else who is now experiencing the same devastation.

[doublepost=1505112099,1505110933][/doublepost]I think this will video will work. This is my dad's house who lives 1/2 mile down the road from me, his house is high enough it didn't receive any flooding inside, but you can see the water lapping at the deck. His neighbors on either side and all up and down the street received up to 8 feet of water in their houses.

[doublepost=1505112611][/doublepost]
Im not worried yet. She works at an animal shelter. Over my 22 year span at animal control during fires, floods and the big northridge ca earth quake, i worked 18 to 20 hour shifts. Only catching naps in corners at the shelter. Im hoping she is just working her ass off.

We didn't receive any flooding at our shelter, in fact we took in many animals and have already transported over 50 dogs to other states for adoptions. There were actually fuckers who left their dogs TIED UP outside, some dogs were up to their necks in water. Horses and cattle were abandoned too, some corralled with no chance to escape. If you're going to abandon your animals at least let your dog off his tether and your livestock out of their enclosures so they have a chance, assholes.

@brandi and @Forensicwx @FrayedKnot :hug:
[doublepost=1505113334][/doublepost]
I think i speak for all of decent society when i say that at least a tragedy like this yet again struck a scummy, disgusting southern shithole. Katrina did nothing but good and one could say the same for Harvey.

Hurricanes are natures way of righting the wrongs done by southern trash.

Sucks about the gas prices, but that should only last a while.

I shouldn't even take the bait you weirdo troll, but fuck you @JackBurton , you piece of shit. Yeah, you're a real decent guy. :hilarious:

Is Kirk Cameron your hero?

Last edited:
Hai y'all! Thanks for your concern, luvs you bitches. <3

Me: Fine. No flooding in my condo. I live by a lake on a peninsula down the street from my dad, and many in my neighborhood experienced flooding in their homes, some as much as 9 feet of water. Many businesses are still closed down or just opening, grocery store shelves are still sparse.

My neighborhood has NEVER experienced flooding. Total devastation.

My mom: Without electricity for ten days, she was flooded in on all sides with some minimal flooding in her house, my son was also flooded in on all sides. After four days he was able to drive his truck as far as he could towing his john boat, and then took his john boat to rescue her, it took him four hours and she lives 20 minutes away from him. I love him. She is back home now.

My son: How did I birth such an amazing man? He was out helping with his little boat until the engine broke down. He rescued two little dogs, he still has them.

We are all safe, that is all that matters. Concerned about the safety of everyone else who is now experiencing the same devastation.

[doublepost=1505112099,1505110933][/doublepost]I think this will video will work. This is my dad's house who lives 1/2 mile down the road from me, his house is high enough it didn't receive any flooding inside, but you can see the water lapping at the deck. His neighbors on either side and all up and down the street received up to 8 feet of water in their houses.

[doublepost=1505112611][/doublepost]

We didn't receive any flooding at our shelter, in fact we took in many animals and have already transported over 50 dogs to other states for adoptions. There were actually fuckers who left their dogs TIED UP outside, some dogs were up to their necks in water. Horses and cattle were abandoned too, some corralled with no chance to escape. If you're going to abandon your animals at least let your dog off his tether and your livestock out of their enclosures so they have a chance, assholes.

@brandi and @Forensicwx @FrayedKnot :hug:
[doublepost=1505113334][/doublepost]

I shouldn't even take the bait you weirdo troll, but fuck you @JackBurton , you piece of shit. Yeah, you're a real decent guy. :hilarious:

Is Kirk Cameron your hero?

I'm so glad you are safe. Love you.

@Nell Thank you. Y'all are going to make me cry

I said I was going to hold out for a shirtless Matthew Mcconaughey to arrive for my rooftop helicopter rescue, like he did during hurricane Katrina, but alas.

The article that Brandi posted about the missing rescue workers, two have been found dead.

Last edited:
Robbie called me back...Trust her to take her YUUUUGE Golden Retriever to a shelter. he's a very sweet boy. He's also kinda dumb, but he loves everyone. He tries to get in my lap every every time he sees me. He also covers me with golden retriever hair and slobbers all over me. He whines to get in my lap...I can't even see around him. He also knows that being a cute beggar wins him CHICKEN! He licks my face with doggie breath and chews my hair...the cats taught him.

Robbie is OK, so is the house horse.
[doublepost=1505389408,1505132603][/doublepost]I don't know where to post this, so I'm putting it here.
We only caught the outer bands of Irma, but she took down an oak tree. An oak tree so damn big it takes 4-5 people to circle it. FIREWOOD!And the mister is grateful he doesn't have to chop the damn thing down (to keep it from going thru my roof).
We'll be trying to clean up forevah!
There is also a raccoon in the tool shed....under the tractor. Raccoons are the menace of gardeners...and what they don't eat, they ruin. They carry rabies ands luvs to bite people.

We buried Sweet Molly in my flower garden, and put a miniature rose bush where she sleeps.. She loved my gardens.

To keep from crying I brought all 8 of them inside and they're lying in my lap, on my right shoulder and want to make biscuits on my impressive boobs. They are chewing my hair right now...with TUNA breath!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/11/health/houston-flood-contamination.html
HOUSTON — Floodwaters in two Houston neighborhoods have been contaminated with bacteria and toxins that can make people sick, testing organized by The New York Times has found. Residents will need to take precautions to return safely to their homes, public health experts said.

It is not clear how far the toxic waters have spread. But Fire Chief Samuel Peña of Houston said over the weekend that there had been breaches at numerous waste treatment plants. The Environmental Protection Agency said on Monday that 40 of 1,219 such plants in the area were not working.

The results of The Times’s testing were troubling. Water flowing down Briarhills Parkway in the Houston Energy Corridor contained Escherichia coli, a measure of fecal contamination, at a level more than four times that considered safe.

In the Clayton Homes public housing development downtown, along the Buffalo Bayou, scientists found what they considered astonishingly high levels of E. coli in standing water in one family’s living room — levels 135 times those considered safe — as well as elevated levels of lead, arsenic and other heavy metals in sediment from the floodwaters in the kitchen.
[....]
it’s more concentrated inside the home than outside the home,” said Lauren Stadler,
[....]
“It suggests to me that conditions inside the home are more ideal for bacteria to grow and concentrate. It’s warmer and the water has stagnated for days and days. I know some kids were playing in the floodwater outside those places. That’s concerning to me.”

The Associated Press and CNN last week reported high levels of E. coli contamination, but did not specify where the samples were taken.

The E.P.A. and the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality have expressed concern about toxic floodwaters, but have not made public the results of sampling they may have done.
[....]
Dr. Beau Briese, an emergency room physician at Houston Methodist Hospital, said he had seen a doubling in the number of cases of cellulitis — reddened skin infections — since the storm. He said it was a more modest increase than he had expected, and that the infections had been successfully treated with antibiotics.

Dr. David Persse, the chief medical officer of Houston, said residents caring for children, the elderly and those with immune disorders should try to keep them out of homes until they have been cleaned.
[....]
Brad Greer, 49, developed two scabby infections on each of his legs where rain boots had irritated his skin. He took antibiotics, but on Saturday, he said, he started feeling lightheaded and weak as he and his brother-in-law tried to move possessions from Mr. Greer’s flooded home.

He went to the emergency room at Houston Methodist, where he was put on an intravenous drip and given another antibiotic prescription. Mr. Greer said swimming pools around his neighborhood are rank.

“All the pools are just giant toilets you’re unable to flush,” he said.

The lab analysis was paid for by The Times. The sampling was conducted by a team from Baylor Medical College and Rice University, working with the Houston health department’s Bureau of Pollution Control and Prevention.

The group, accompanied by Times reporters, took water and sediment samples last week by boat, truck and on foot. The samples were analyzed by A & B Labs, a state-certified service that often works with federal agencies.

The dearth of information about the safety of the water has upset many residents, including Maria Sotolongo, who lives with her husband and three children on Briarhills Parkway, an upscale development in Houston’s West Oaks/Eldridge neighborhood.
[....]
But some families in inundated neighborhoods in west Houston said they had developed staph infections and other health problems after wading through waters released from reservoirs that swamped their homes long after other parts of the city had dried out.

“It scared us to death,” said John Denson, 40, who lives in the Nottingham Forest neighborhood. He had waded through the murky waters with his wife and two sons to try to salvage things from their home.

Mr. Denson said infections had festered on a cut to his hand and small scratches where the waterproof waders his family wore had rubbed skin raw. In addition, Mr. Denson said that his 14-year-old son, who has asthma, started coughing and had difficulty breathing after being inside their home.
[....]
Winifred Hamilton, director of the Environmental Health Service at Baylor College of Medicine and a member of the testing group, said she is especially worried about exposure to mold among people who are moving back or who bring along their children as they try to clean and repair their houses.

“I’d be wearing a mask with a filter,’’ she said, “and goggles and gloves, with rubber boots. I would change my clothes immediately after leaving the house, and put them in the wash with nothing else.”

“Mold is taking off all over the city,” Ms. Hamilton added. “People with allergies or asthma are particularly sensitive to it. If people have bad headaches, respiratory problems, swelling of a limb or a bad rash, go see a doctor right away. Don’t assume it will go away on its own.’’

Ms. Hamilton also encouraged people to keep an eye on their kids.

“We have a lot of what looks like sand, like something you might want to make a castle of,” she said. “But this is not clean sand, this is sludge sediment.”

“Don’t let your children play in sediment from the flood. We don’t want children playing in lead.”
[doublepost=1507659955,1505488632][/doublepost]http://www.expressnews.com/business/local/article/Texas-rice-farmers-cheer-as-USDA-says-12258589.php
Texas growers of organic rice used for health food favorites like vegan burritos and tofu-vegetable bowls are breathing a sigh of relief now that the U.S. Department of Agriculture has decided the crop has not been compromised by mosquito spraying in the wake of Hurricane Harvey.
[doublepost=1507823969][/doublepost]http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/1...to-donate-53g-to-hurricane-harvey-relief.html
They might be convicted criminals, but when it came to the heartbreaking devastation left by Hurricane Harvey this summer, they became heroes of sorts.

Inmates in Texas’ criminal justice system wanted to help those impacted by the Category 4 hurricane, which caused $200 billion in damage in the state.

“They were requesting to donate money,” said Texas Department of Criminal Justice spokesman Jason Clark. “It’s just something they chose to do.”

Nearly 6,600 Texas prisoners have donated more than $53,000 of their commissary funds to the American Red Cross, Dallas News reported.

The inmates mostly donated money from their small allowances -- $95 every two weeks
[....]
Each inmate contributed $8, on average, while others were able to give hundreds of dollars.

In addition to monetary donations, inmates and officers have been working hard to repair five facilities that were damaged by Hurricane Harvey.

Nearly 7,000 inmates were evacuated from prisons and treatment centers across the state after the hurricane flooded huge swaths of the state. The storm also left hundreds of prison employees without homes.
[....]
[doublepost=1514382136][/doublepost]http://www.fox4news.com/news/texas/harvey-restoration-worker-near-death-family-pleads-for-treatment
[....]
Days after the storm, 52-year-old Brent left his Austin home to join the restoration effort.

"He left his family, he left his friends, he left the city he's been in for 20 plus years to come down here and help the flood victims, help restore their homes and to help people get on their feet again," said Deborah Barry, Brent's sister.

Working for wages when people could pay and for free when they couldn't, Brent aided dozens of families before a sudden and fierce illness landed him in Kingwood Medical Center. What appeared to be a viral infection rapidly developed into pneumonia and then Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome.

"He, in a matter of 12-to-24 hours, rapidly deteriorated," said Courtney. His lungs clogged with fluid and caregivers were forced to place Brent on a ventilator. In a week's time, he had traveled from vigorous health to the very brink of death.

Doctors say his best hope for survival lies in a treatment known as Extra Corporeal Membrane Oxygenation, also known as ECMO, a machine which pumps out blood and infuses it with oxygen until the lungs can heal.

"It is minute by minute, day by day here and they are doing all they can here to just keep him alive," pleaded Courtney. "He's got to have this treatment."

Unavailable at Kingwood Medical Center, three Houston-area hospitals equipped with ECMO have thus far refused to treat Brent, all claiming that they have no room.

Brent's family believes he's being rejected because he has no health insurance, a charge that the hospitals flatly deny.

"If the money is the issue, we can make payments, we can figure this out," added Courtney. "He has got to have this. He is going to die. It's incredible to know that someone as amazing as him and as selfless as he is could be in a position where nobody will help him."
[....]

News video at the link.

Back