• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

brandi

christ on a cracker
Hey guys!
So I'm fine as of now. It's day 3 of harvey and we are so sick at the devastation that is our city. My family and myself are currently not in need of supplies or help but there are SO MANY out there that are. So many families losing their homes, cars, belongings, and even losing other family members. I figured i'd make a thread about what's going on and how everyone can help. I think snoods is the only other person in houston and satanica is farther north. So far i've confirmed the following as being reputable charities:
The salvation army
http://www.salarmyomaha.org/ways-to-give/disaster-relief/

Houston food bank
www.houstonfoodbank.org

Galveston food bank
www.galvestoncountyfoodbank.org

You can also donate to your local food bank specifically for hurricane harvey victims. That info is here:
www.feedingtexas.org

For the babies, you can donate to the texas diaper bank here:
http://www.texasdiaperbank.org

Coalition for the homeless
www.homelesshouston.org/take-action/donate/

For the animals, you can donate to the SPCA here:
https://spca.org/give

You can also donate direct to the HSPCA here:
http://www.houstonspca.org

And as always, the red cross is taking donations in all forms including blood and plasma. You can find info on that here:
https://www.redcross.org/donate/hurricane-harvey?campname=Harvey&campmedium=aspot

I will post more. You guys also feel free to post some if you know they are legit. Beware of go fund me scams and people who didnt lose anything but still begging for money.

If i am able and my job is really underwater i will be helping in anyway i can. I will post photos as soon as i find a relaible hosting site.
As always I'll continue to check in as the rain continues.

Brandi, I didn't know you were there. Stay safe, babe.

The elderly there in your picture had me almost crying. The owner didn't think it necessary to evacuate when she was given WARNING. oh, but it's never flooded before!
Thankfully they were airlifted out.
/rage

Was thinking about you all weekend, Brandi, as well as others who will be affected. I believe the Mayor made a mistake not ordering a mandatory evacuation. Now, it's looking way too much like Katrina. At least no boats or other offers of help are being turned away like with Katrina. <3

http://abcnews.go.com/US/army-corps-releases-water-houston-dams-levels-increased/story?id=49462262
Emergency workers begin releasing water into the Buffalo Bayou from two flood-control dams in Houston on Monday, a move that could impact thousands of residents, officials said.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said it began to release water from the Addicks and Barker dams early Monday morning to prevent uncontrollable flooding of the Houston-metropolitan area as water levels continued to rise rapidly beneath torrential rains being released by Tropical Storm Harvey.

Engineers were forced to start the process earlier than previously announced because water levels in the reservoirs had “increased dramatically in the last few hours,” officials said early Monday, adding that the release would likely cause additional street flooding that could potentially spill into homes.

This is the first time engineers have done this for flood control, officials said.

“If we don’t begin releasing now, the volume of uncontrolled water around the dams will be higher and have a greater impact on the surrounding communities,” Col. Lars Zetterstrom, Galveston District commander, said in a statement Monday.
[....]
the release could affect “thousands” of homes located along the reservoirs.

“It’s going to be better to release the water through the gates directly into Buffalo Bayou as opposed to letting it go around the end and through additional neighborhoods and ultimately into the bayou,” Zetterstrom added.

The reservoirs, located on western outskirts of Houston, are about 17 miles away from downtown Houston.

Zetterstrom said all roads within the Addicks and Barker area will be flooded and closed for “an extended period of time until” the Corps can release sufficient quantities of water from the dams.

“Both reservoirs are rising more than half a foot per hour,” Zetterstrom said. “Residents adjacent to the reservoirs need to be vigilant because the water in the reservoirs is rising rapidly."

Brandi, if you have to go into the flood waters to help, please be sure to wear as much protective gear as you can find - not just flotation gear, but hip-waders/rain gear, whatever you can lay your hands on to keep the water off of your skin as much as possible.
Flooding this severe causes countless chemicals (including benzenes), gasoline, sewage and other treatment waste products to leach upwards from below ground level and into the flood waters.
A small skin scrape or scratch can turn septic very quickly when exposed to the myriad pollutants and toxins in flood waters, and since you can't see what's below the water level, the risk for injuries
can be anywhere and everywhere right now.
Deeper cuts that occur on submerged areas of the body in waters like this instantly introduce the toxins into the blood stream, so if injuries occur, get out of the water ASAP, and clean the wounds thoroughly, and use triple-antibiotics liberally.
All my love to you and your son right now, and my heart's in Houston with you all.

This was yesterday when a new band of rain started. It let up about 2 am.
[doublepost=1503931375,1503931177][/doublepost]This is this morning. Our water is draining like a champ. We are some of the very few people that stayed and got lucky.

[doublepost=1503933719][/doublepost]
Brandi, I didn't know you were there. Stay safe, babe.

The elderly there in your picture had me almost crying. The owner didn't think it necessary to evacuate when she was given WARNING. oh, but it's never flooded before!
Thankfully they were airlifted out.
/rage
That was a video rotating through my friends and it made me cry so hard. Im glad they all got to safety.

Its super hard when you see people saying that we should have evacuated. That we are stupid for not leaving. We were told not to evacuate. Can you imagine 2 million people on the roads??? There was no way we were getting out in 2 days. No to mention the predictions we got were always wrong and then when they did get it right, it was too late. Im praying for my city.
When rita hit we had many deaths on the road ways. People sitting in their cars for days. 3 hour trips taking people 18-26 hours... Rita didnt even hit us that hard. Its not difficult to see why the majority of the city stayed.

They are letting water out of the reservoirs today. Im beside myself about that. Hundreds of people are going to die.

You all would have been stuck in the highways. The new watch out will be price gauging and con men claiming to be builders/ construction workers.

Yea there are reports of people acting like rescuers but they come rob you at gunpoint... There are some fucked up people out there right now. Giving phone #s for rescue and then either hanging up on someone in need or lying and saying they are on the way. Good thing im seeing more good people than bad. Houston is really coming together on this one.

Yea there are reports of people acting like rescuers but they come rob you at gunpoint... There are some fucked up people out there right now. Giving phone #s for rescue and then either hanging up on someone in need or lying and saying they are on the way. Good thing im seeing more good people than bad. Houston is really coming together on this one.
The biggest thing for use after the storms in 2004 was getting ice and showers. We had well water. So no power no water. Several of the churches stepped up to provide these things.

Just heard from a good friend that our George R. brown convention center is a shelter and they are taking volunteers and donations for victims of Harvey.

Red cross and salvation army are both there. You can help by donating to both of these charities.

https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/6wlkfg/megathread_hurricane_harvey_and_the_catastrophic/

Lots of helpful links in that thread.
[doublepost=1503951095,1503950679][/doublepost]Gator Country has more than 350 alligators outside - and it's flooding

[....]
KFDM/Fox 4 reporter James Ware was at Gator Country on Monday morning.

Owner Gary Saurage told him that more than a foot of water was inside parts of the building.

In 12 years at the FM 365 locations, Saurage has never seen flooding like this.

"We're less than a foot a foot from (water) going over the fences," Saurage said. "All of these are certified, high fences, but when it won't quit, it won't quit. We've worked around the clock and I don't know what else to do. We're truly tired. Everybody's at the end of it, man. We don't know what to do.
[....]
The largest alligators - Big Al and Big Tex - are in trailers.

But the gators in the fenced areas could come over the top of the fences if the water gets high enough, as Saurage was mentioning earlier.

He says the crocodiles, venomous snakes and other dangerous creatures were captured and away at high enough ground to not be at risk of escaping.

"Everything that is not from here, we've put up and we have in a safe place, but we live with alligators," Saurage said.
[....]
http://wchstv.com/news/offbeat/gator-country-has-more-than-350-alligators-and-its-flooded

The biggest thing for use after the storms in 2004 was getting ice and showers. We had well water. So no power no water. Several of the churches stepped up to provide these things.

Sue sue, do you remember in the 2004 storms there was a guy in Citrus county, who went and got a free truck load of ice - I think it was from the Army, anyway he told them it was for his small town, then he was caught selling the bags at 20 bucks each? His ass went to jail for that one.

Showers came with the rains for us, we'd put buckets out to collect the rain water, and use it to shower/bathe with while it was storming. The rain was the "shower" part, the buckets of water were for hair washing/rinsing.

After nearly a month, a power crew from TX got our electric back up, the entire block bought them several cases of beer and we cheered and applauded them.
I remember they also stopped to pet our huge yard "dog", Banjo - he was a quarter/Arabian mix horse, who stood out by the front fence and talked to the guys the entire time.
They thought he was cool, but he thought he'd get some of those beers;)

Last edited:
A family of six is believed to have died after drowning in a white van Sunday afternoon while trying to escape the floods of Hurricane Harvey, relatives tell KHOU 11 News. It is thus far the single deadliest incident resulting from the storm.

The victims include four children (all 16 or younger) and their great-grandparents. The driver of the vehicle (the children's great-uncle) managed to escape before the van went under water.

According to witnesses, the van was driving down Green River Road in Greens Bayou when it hit high floods after crossing a bridge.

This caused the the van to be swept up in the current, and the driver then crawled out and told the children inside to try and get out through the back door. They were unable to do so.

The driver was able to hang onto a tree limb and escape, but the van sunk.

Witnesses say there were first responders in the area, but there was not enough time to perform a viable rescue operation. Authorities have not officially confirmed the incident, although that is likely because no bodies have been recovered at this time.
http://www.khou.com/mobile/article/...hile-trying-to-escape-harvey-floods/468579903

Someone posted a youtube of some asshole with a pickup truck full of cases of water that he was selling at a premium. The man who posted the video was calling him out on it, but people who would do that could care less.

I saw that van story yesterday on that reddit thread, but I just didn't have the heart to post it. Why the driver didn't have them come out the front where he got out, I don't know. Of course, imagine trying to think straight under those circumstances. Afraid we're going to find a lot more dead when the water recedes. I have not and will not ever forget Katrina and how people were just left to die. No matter what TPTB say, use your own judgment and don't rely on authorities because they have a way of botching things terribly.

My coworker says he's going to load up his truck and head down to Victoria this weekend. His sister-in-law lives there and even though she said they're fine they may have trouble finding water and food, because stores are torn up, closed, and no trucks are arriving to restock them. This is going to be a horrendous situation for weeks and that's just for basic survival.

Houston and all coastal cities are sinking, so flooding will only get worse along with sinkholes as population numbers continue sucking up groundwater.
[doublepost=1504009521,1504008430][/doublepost]What a difference a day makes!
zyz7P1jP4tn_MT40cY5iBfVdxa1eluv4r9BscjQeVF0.jpg

[doublepost=1504011147][/doublepost]http://wgno.com/2017/08/28/cajun-na...ter-looters-shoot-at-boats-try-to-steal-them/
HOUSTON — A rescuer for the famed Louisiana Cajun Navy says looters tried to steal their boats and fired shots at them while they were trying to save Houston residents from flooded homes.

Clyde Cain told CNN that a boat broke down, and while the crew sought shelter in a delivery truck, people tried to steal the inoperable boat.

“They’re making it difficult for us to rescue them,” he said. “You have people rushing the boat. Everyone wants to get in at the same time. They’re panicking. Water is rising.”
[....]
“There’s looters out here, as in any time you have a natural disaster or catastrophe,” Cain said. “We’re OK.”

Because of the hostile responses, the Cajun Navy has been forced to halt some rescue attempts, Cain said.
[doublepost=1504024777][/doublepost]http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-texas-harvey-20170829-story.html
[....]
As light rain poured Tuesday, a major dam outside Houston began to overflow, threatening some of the hardest-hit neighborhoods to the west of the city. Engineers had tried to prevent Addicks Reservoir from overspilling by releasing some of its water Monday, but flood control officials reported Tuesday morning that water was beginning to seep over the top of a spillway, the first time water had breached the dam.

In some areas, the water in the Houston area was so deep that rain sensors no longer were working. The Harris County Flood Control District, a government agency that works to reduce the effects of flooding in the area that includes Houston, announced that multiple water level and rain sensors were out of service due to flooding.

In Brazoria County south of Houston, the Brazos River was beginning to overflow its banks. On Tuesday morning, a levee breached in the Columbia Lakes neighborhood.

“We are asking residents to please get out,” said Sharon Trower, a spokeswoman for the county, which already has rescued hundreds of residents after severe flooding from heavy rainfall. “The additional river flooding is just going to be catastrophic.”
[....]
Houston highways remained mostly empty and blocked by police early Tuesday. A few cars and trucks navigated wet streets downtown, some headed for the massive convention center.

Thousands of people were sheltering inside, as many had arrived overnight, police said. Families were still arriving, some with sleeping pads and rain boots, others with their belongings in garbage bags. Some feared for relatives left behind, and some worried they might soon face shortages of food and other supplies at the shelter. People scrambled to find other places to stay as the rain continued to fall.
[....]
While catastrophic flooding continues across southeast Texas, flash flood watches dropped for western portions of the Houston area as light to moderate rain fell Monday night. The National Weather Service said the threat of flooding is gradually shifting east.

“Expect improving conditions this afternoon and evening across the area as Harvey pushes northeast,” the National Weather Service’s Houston/Galveston office said in an update.
[....]

I truly believe the people of this city, and surrounding cities and counties, have kept the death toll down. If we didnt ban together like this, there would be a lot more dead. Its all those men out there with fishing boats and jacked up pick ups saving everyone.
[doublepost=1504042085,1504025914][/doublepost]JJ Watt has set up a you caring site for for hurricane harvey donations. I can think of no one better to give donations too. He has been a great influence in our community and he is the most humble human on the planet. You can donate here:
Youcaring.com/jjwatt

I believe he set a goal of 1 million but its up to 2 million now. Please know that the money raised by JJ Watt will go to the correct places.

Yeah, this ^^

My husband is from Houston and he made the point that metro HOU is like, 6.5 million people.

The evacuation attempts might have cost more lives than the storm or flooding.

I don't think there was a "good" choice, there.

This was yesterday when a new band of rain started. It let up about 2 am.
[doublepost=1503931375,1503931177][/doublepost]This is this morning. Our water is draining like a champ. We are some of the very few people that stayed and got lucky.

[doublepost=1503933719][/doublepost]
That was a video rotating through my friends and it made me cry so hard. Im glad they all got to safety.

Its super hard when you see people saying that we should have evacuated. That we are stupid for not leaving. We were told not to evacuate. Can you imagine 2 million people on the roads??? There was no way we were getting out in 2 days. No to mention the predictions we got were always wrong and then when they did get it right, it was too late. Im praying for my city.
When rita hit we had many deaths on the road ways. People sitting in their cars for days. 3 hour trips taking people 18-26 hours... Rita didnt even hit us that hard. Its not difficult to see why the majority of the city stayed.

They are letting water out of the reservoirs today. Im beside myself about that. Hundreds of people are going to die.

^
[doublepost=1504050974][/doublepost]
I truly believe the people of this city, and surrounding cities and counties, have kept the death toll down. If we didnt ban together like this, there would be a lot more dead. Its all those men out there with fishing boats and jacked up pick ups saving everyone.
[doublepost=1504042085,1504025914][/doublepost]JJ Watt has set up a you caring site for for hurricane harvey donations. I can think of no one better to give donations too. He has been a great influence in our community and he is the most humble human on the planet. You can donate here:
Youcaring.com/jjwatt

I believe he set a goal of 1 million but its up to 2 million now. Please know that the money raised by JJ Watt will go to the correct places.

Love that JJ Watt!!!!

Here's some footage

@Satanica.
this reminds me of Nell in the damn forum last night further reinforcing mommy sites phobia coz they have the worse of some evil nasty ass bitches [that get bad dick] and I'm glad you have to sign up there to post so i can't freak on people: they apparently were able to save the damn cat in the back of the picture
[doublepost=1504063373,1504063306][/doublepost]Houston animals shelters & humane society can give you contacts with people that will help you find another shelter or take your pets, if i go back through my feed will find the right info.
[doublepost=1504063509][/doublepost]
Brandi, if you have to go into the flood waters to help, please be sure to wear as much protective gear as you can find - not just flotation gear, but hip-waders/rain gear, whatever you can lay your hands on to keep the water off of your skin as much as possible.
and I told her all about the snakes, never been in a flood there or here without lots of snakes. They should have already set up a place for shots because last Texas flood I had to take like 5 to go back into th water to my grandmothers house

Last edited:
Breadoflifeinc.org
Another reputable charity that is feeding the victims of harvey in numerous shelters across the city.

Brandi-

Come on up to NWLA, girl.

Our place is small, but there is always room for you.

And did anyone hear from Snoods? We need to get here up here, too. ❤️
[doublepost=1504093378,1504093198][/doublepost]BTW, the "Cajun Navy" is already out in full force to help our Houston neighbors. Nice to see people acting like actual human beings!!

ETA: just saw @Satanica already posted about the Cajun Navy. Oops!

I checked on my old hometown, Port Arthur, this morning and they're going under, too. It was 3' below sea level when I lived there. Pretty weird to see whitecaps on I-10 even under these conditions.
HaMqJpfmW8epRuEtRFQ24b6qQyiW4clvlI-gxtiqe4k.jpg

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/port-arthur-texas-conditions-dire-residents-in-survival-mode/
PORT ARTHUR -- The situation in this city 91 miles east of Houston was dire early Wednesday, with homes expected to fill with rising floodwaters and residents unsure of how to get out of the city, reports CBS Beaumont, Texas affiliate KFDM-TV.

Heavy rain from Tropical Storm Harvey was falling in the city. It was inundated with some 40 inches of rain Tuesday, the station says. The National Weather Service issued flash flood emergencies for parts of Southeast Texas, including Beaumont and Port Arthur.

Conditions were so bad that Motiva Enterprises began shutting its major refinery there due to flooding.

Jefferson County Sheriff Zena Stephens told KFDM county resources can't reach Port Arthur due to the flooding -- and some residents have gone into "survival mode."

"We're getting 911 and rescue calls but there's nothing we can do," Stephens said. "We can't take the boats out right now. The water is rising and it's coming there and it's no way to get to them."

Many residents were posting pleas for help on social media, and many KFDM viewers were calling the station pleading to be rescued.
[....]
Mayor Derrick Freeman told KFDM some 20,000 homes had water in them -- virtually all the homes in the city.

He said on his Facebook page that Port Arthur "is underwater right now but we are coming!" He also urged residents to get to higher ground, but avoid becoming trapped in attics. he said dumpt rucks were being used to help evacuate residents.

The city's civic center was being used as a shelter but then it, too, flooded and evacuees were being brought to the Carl A Parker Multipurpose Center, KFDM reports. One evacuee tweeted an image:
DIdeC1oVoAAmSwq.jpg

[....]
Michael Sinegal, who represents Port Arthur on the Jefferson County Commissioners Court, told KFDM he suggested to one woman that she take shelter in her freezer because of how close she lives to a drainage ditch. She had almost 4 feet of water in her home.

"We need boats. We need whatever it takes," Sinegal said.

By the way, gas shortages abound. All the stations near my house have only super left. We'd better hope those refineries start up again soon or this will become an issue for the whole state.
[doublepost=1504100611,1504099320][/doublepost]How sad.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-08-30-07-00-54
[....]
Authorities found a shivering toddler clinging to the body of her drowned mother in a rain-swollen canal in Southeast Texas after the woman tried to carry her child to safety from Harvey's floods.

Capt. Brad Penisson of the fire-rescue department in Beaumont said the woman's vehicle got stuck Tuesday afternoon in the flooded parking lot of an office park just off Interstate 10. Squalls from Harvey were pounding Beaumont with up to 2 inches (5 centimeters) of rain an hour at the time with 38 mph (60 kph) gusts, according to the National Weather Service.

Penisson said a witness saw the woman take her 18-month-old daughter and try to walk to safety when the swift current of a flooded drainage canal next to the parking lot swept them both away.

The child was holding onto the floating woman when a police and fire-rescue team in a boat caught up to them a half-mile downstream, he said. Rescuers pulled them into the boat just before they would have gone under a railroad trestle where the water was so high that the boat could not have followed.

First responders lifted the child from her mother's body and tried to revive the woman, but she never regained consciousness.

Penisson said the child was in stable condition at Christus St. Elizabeth Hospital.
[....]

http://abc13.com/workers-evacuated-from-crosby-plant-at-risk-of-fire/2355735/
[....]
According to plant officials, the situation has become serious.

The plant has been shut down since Friday when site leaders were anticipating landfall of Hurricane Harvey. The location received more than 40 inches of rainfall, leaving the site heavily flooded and without electricity since early Sunday morning.

Back-up generators have largely been inundated with water. A small ride-out crew of 11 people remained on site for the last few days, but by Tuesday afternoon, the decision to evacuate all personnel was made.

Arkema officials are working with the Department of Homeland Security and the State of Texas to set up a command post in a suitable location near the site. Refrigeration on some of the back-up product storage containers has been compromised due to extremely high water, which is unprecedented in the Crosby area.

Authorities are monitoring the temperature of each refrigeration container remotely. At this time, they say they do not believe there is any imminent danger, but the potential for a chemical reaction leading to a fire and/or explosion within the site confines is real.

Arkema manufactures organic peroxides at their Crosby plant. The product needs to be stored at a low temperature.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-storm-harvey-reservoirs-idUSKCN1B92GN?il=0
HOUSTON (Reuters) - Some roads and bridges in Houston are starting to buckle under the impact of catastrophic flooding in parts of the city from Tropical Storm Harvey, a local official said on Tuesday.

Jeff Linder of the Harris County Flood Control District said one bridge had collapsed and that some roads had been damaged by the torrential rains.

Water levels at two reservoirs to the west of the city continue to rise, where more than 3,000 homes have been flooded, Linder added.

The level of Buffalo Bayou, a major drainage system that runs through the city, is holding steady and may not recede for days [....]

Linder said the level of the Houston Ship Channel, which connects to Galveston Bay, was “at levels we’ve never seen before” and slowing the bayou’s ability to drain.

Every highway, freeway, and interstate in houston os already under construction. Now it will be years before we can all get around nprmally again.

I have friends in beaumont and vidor texas. They have checked in as safe but they have rains until friday.

There will be 1000's more found deceased. This thing is not over yet.

I did see the sun come up this morning and it is no longer raining on my side. Its the little things. I love my dd family. You guys have checked on me day in and day out. You have no idea how much that means to me. <3 <3

Back