• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Turd Fergusen

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
1581430411229.png

The biggest flop of the award show season? The award show itself.

The Oscars made history for the smallest audience the show has ever received after a night of predictable wins and polarizing acceptance speeches.

About 23.6 million people watched the 92nd installment of the show, which showered Bong Joon Ho with awards including Best Director and Best Picture for his widely acclaimed social horror film “Parasite.”

And while it was the most-watched show of the awards season, even the promise of a hostless show couldn’t hoist up Hollywood’s big night amid repeat wins by actors who already took home Golden Globes, SAGs and BAFTAs.

The broadcast, which ran for 3 hours and 35 minutes, scored a 5.3 rating in the coveted adults 18-49 demo, based on Nielsen’s Live + Same Day Fast National ratings.

In 2019, the first year the show went on without a host, it saw an 11% overall viewership bump over the year prior, with 29.6 million viewers. It also scored a 7.7 rating among the 18-49 demographic. The 2018 awards, hosted by Jimmy Kimmel, hit a then-all-time low of 26.5 million viewers and a 6.8 rating in the 18-49 demo. But even that was more than this year.

Full Story:
https://nypost.com/2020/02/10/oscars-ratings-hit-all-time-low-in-2020-amid-polarizing-speeches-repeat-wins/

Attachments

• 1581430411637.png
    1581430411637.png
    605.7 KB · Views: 226
I've not watched in probably 30 years, I'm simply not interested, it does nothing to make my life better, those people don't exist in the same physical or financial sphere as most people and most of them cannot even comprehend real life for real people.

Meh, fans of it will tune in, others wont, no biggie.

I dont se ethe point in watching even for the stuff that does interest me as i can just watch the win/interview/etc. on youtube immediately after.

Also, fuck this years noms for #1, yet again neglecting to recognize BRILLIANT female performances in horror films. Lupito Nyongo shoulda been a shoe in for Us. Terrible movie, but she was spectacular. Also, Willem Defoe objectively gave the best performance of the year in The Lighthouse, it can not be denied. The lack of a nom even is unforgivable and shows what a joke the oscars are.

Joker getting a best picture nom was outrageous as well.

These oscar voters are just totally out of touch and off their rockers.

The awards shows will get lamer and even more insufferably humorless and SJW-y,
the movies more pandering, message laden and boring. :rolleyes:
14 June 2020
L I N K
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has announced that diversity will now be a requirement when looking at Oscars eligibility. This new requirement will not be placed on movies that were released this year. The news comes after the Academy added director Ava DuVernay and producer Lynette Howell Taylor to their board of governors. "The need to address this issue is urgent," the Academy's chief executive, Dawn Hudson, said in a statement. "To that end, we will amend - and continue to examine - our rules and procedures to ensure that all voices are heard and celebrated."

It's unclear at the moment exactly what actions the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences will be taking for the future, though many are under the assumption they'll take a cue from the British Film Institute since it is the first major awards "body to introduce diversity and inclusion criteria into its eligibility requirements." All entries in Britain must contain "onscreen representation, themes and narratives," along with "industry access and opportunities," among others.
[...]

September 8 2020: The official rules have been announced for diversity and wokeness requirements in order to be eligible for an Oscar.:

STANDARD A: ON-SCREEN REPRESENTATION, THEMES AND NARRATIVES
To achieve Standard A, the film must meet ONE of the following criteria:

A1. Lead or significant supporting actors

At least one of the lead actors or significant supporting actors is from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group.

• Asian
• Hispanic/Latinx
• Black/African American
• Indigenous/Native American/Alaskan Native
• Middle Eastern/North African
• Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander
• Other underrepresented race or ethnicity

A2. General ensemble cast

At least 30% of all actors in secondary and more minor roles are from at least two of the following underrepresented groups:

• Women
• Racial or ethnic group
• LGBTQ+
• People with cognitive or physical disabilities, or who are deaf or hard of hearing

A3. Main storyline/subject matter

The main storyline(s), theme or narrative of the film is centered on an underrepresented group(s).

• Women
• Racial or ethnic group
• LGBTQ+
• People with cognitive or physical disabilities, or who are deaf or hard of hearing
And that's just Standard A! Standards B,C,D also applies to crew, interns, marketing & publicity.

Mel Brooks' Blazing Saddles would tick all the check boxes. Young Frankenstein? Only one.

--Al

Unless there was a black intern on set.

This is such a stupid fucking idea. It only serves to give the oscars an artificial moral highground, pretending they did something for inclusion and diversity. We could still have a movie with an all white, straight, male cast doing white things like fucking frisbee golf, win an oscar and if a producer for the film was gay or a female intern was making coffee runs....it qualifies for Best Pic.

Unless there was a black intern on set.
True.

My prediction: The number of films up for Oscars next year will be vanishingly small, while the number of films that are not submitted for Oscars . . . will be vanishingly small because the stars and star wannabes will all be vying for roles in the first group, leaving no star power for the second group. And B-movie and lower and direct-to-video movies will be the vast majority of movies made, shown, and sold.

--Al
looking forward to horror flicks

I don’t know why they’re even bothering. Now it’s just rich people bitching about politics and pandering. Just save the air time for something more interesting. Like Benny Hill reruns.

View attachment 41193
It took me a few years to appreciate Benny Hill... but the man was a comedic genius. Too bad there will never be a show like it again.

Back