• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...africa-glen-afric-broederstroom-a8339616.html
giraffe.jpg

[....]
Mr Carvalho died of his injuries that night after being flown to a Johannesburg hospital, said filming agency CallaCrew.
He had been shooting scenes at the Glen Afric farm in Broederstroom, which is famous for featuring in the British TV series Wild at Heart.

Richard Brooker, whose family owns the lodge, said the bull giraffe would not be put down as he was not considered dangerous.

“When Carlos was standing in front of the giraffe, the animal spread its legs, bent its neck and swung its head at Carlos,” he said.
“Gerald will remain at the lodge. He did nothing wrong,” Mr Brooker told The Telegraph.

A spokesperson for Glen Afric also suggested that Carvalho had “gone off on his own” and ignored safety instructions not to approach the animals.
Drikus Van Der Merwe, a member of the film crew, was standing next to Mr Carvalho when the incident occurred on 2 May.

“The giraffe started chasing the boom swinger who joined our unit,” he told the Sun. “We didn’t feel threatened because he just seemed to be inquisitive.
“We started shooting closeups of its body and its feet.

Then while Carlos was looking through the camera eyepiece Gerald swung his neck and hit him against his head. “It came out of nowhere and Carlos didn’t even see it coming. He wasn’t aware of the danger.

“I knew he had a severe head trauma. But I never thought he would die.”

Even I know enough not to get close enough to a Giraffe to get neck butted. There is so much power behind that swing that they send adult lions flying through the air. I'm glad that the male Giraffe will not be destroyed for behaving like the wild animal he is.

We went to a zoo in Pensacola and the Giraffes there let us scritch their noses. They are gorgeous, but anything bigger than me, I'm calling too dangerous to play with when he doesn't want to play.

My boss grew up in Rhodesia where his parents ran a safari camp. Despite clearly stated rules, A woman took some buns to the water hole and offered some to the elephants. Just like back home at the zoo! An elephant knocked her down and pancaked her into the ground with its head.

Last edited:
Fairly commonplace for zoos to have enclosures where youre able to feed em, they bring their heads up right up to where youre standing. Cant get in close enough to swing something at you.

Where is the camera footage?

Latest posts

Back