• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Alf

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
The novel opens in media res, as noted author John Rothman is awakened by three burglars. Rothman and two of the burglars die at the hands of Morris "Morrie" Bellamy, who goes to prison for rape -- but not before he hides the proceeds of the burglary, in a trunk buried beneath a tree by a creek in his old home town.

Tom Saubers is crippled by a madman in a stolen Mercedes as he queues for a job fair. His son, Pete, happens to be at the right place at the right time, and discovers Bellamy's cache.

This tale is more Maltese Falcon than The Stand. It is shaping up to be a good read.

--Al

ETA: I didn't realize that this was the second part of a trilogy until I finished it. It follows King's Mr. Mercedes and precedes his End of Watch.

No spoilers, but the comparison to Falcon is highly appropriate. I was not aware of any of the frissons that Tommyknockers is riddled with that, upon reflection, turned out to be signposts marking continuity lapses. The story is well woven and reads very well.

It is a good read. If you read Falcon or King's Blaze and enjoyed them odds are you will enjoy this too.

A

Last edited:
Nice. I'll give it a shot.

The Stand is my number one favourite King novel, I actually just reread it the past few days.

Back