• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
https://unv.is/dailymail.co.uk/news...itish-tourists-kidnapped-shot-dead-Congo.html
A female park ranger who tried to save two British tourists from being kidnapped before being blasted to death was named as Rachel Katumwa. The 25-year-old was a so-called ‘ecoguard’ providing security on a convoy travelling through the Virunga National Park, in the Democratic Republic of Congo, on Friday morning.

She became the first female ranger in the bloody history of the park to be murdered by bandits. Rachel Katumwa was an 'ecoguard' providing security on a convoy in Virunga National Park

According to a friend, the 25-year-old's only concern was for the safety of those on the convoy.

Kidnappers are demanding £150,000 for the return of two Britons, both male, who were abducted while gorilla trekking in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
[....]
Fellow park rangers confirmed that Rachel was ‘a devoted conservationist who died in the line of duty’. One added: ‘Her only thought would have been the safety and security of visitors to the park who were on the convoy. ‘Unfortunately armed robbers attacked as the convoy approached Rumangabo. Following the ecoguard’s death, two British citizens were taken away, along with their driver.’

The Congolese authorities have not yet named the two Britons kidnapped, citing ‘operational reasons’. It is thought that the attack was carried out by the MaiMai militia – a group with its roots in the war between the Congo and Rawandan forces.

Fellow park rangers paid tribute to 'devoted conservationist who died in the line of duty’

Kidnapping: Two British citizens have been kidnapped while visiting the Virunga National Park, in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo
Tourists walking through the Virunga National Park last month. The kidnapped British tourists were gorilla trekking in the region[....]

The kidnapped happened just a few hundred yards from an Army base, where soldiers from the 802nd Regiment was stationed.
Despite this there has already been criticism of the slow response time by the troops.

Local politician Zubaya Faustin said: ‘More should have been done to support the park guards.’ Some 175 Virunga guards have been killed over the past decade, making their job one of the most dangerous in the country. Despite the risks, Virunga remains hugely popular with tourists from all over the world because of its mountain gorilla sanctuary.

The MaiMai have been robbing tourists, while concentrating on western visitors because of the high ransom demands they can potentially make.
In April five rangers from Virunga and a driver were killed following an ambush in the park, while a sixth ranger was severely wounded.

A UK Foreign Office statement reads: ‘We are in close contact with the authorities in the Democratic Republic of the Congo following an incident involving two British nationals, and our staff are providing support to their families.’

Armed men began firing on a convoy of vehicles after it drove into the Virunga National Park — one of the dangerous of its kind in the world.
Another man, believed to be a driver, was shot in the shoulder during the attack but either managed to escape or was set free.
[....]

http://time.com/5275730/british-tourists-kidnapped-freed-democratic-republic-congo/

Two British tourists have been released in eastern Congo two days after being kidnapped, according to announcements Sunday by Virunga National Park and the British foreign secretary.

Boris Johnson didn’t give any further details, but paid tribute to the authorities from the African country and the Congolese Institute for Nature Conservation “for their tireless help during this terrible case.”

He said that “my thoughts are now with the family of Virunga Park ranger Rachel Makissa Baraka who was killed during the kidnapping, and with the injured driver.”
Cosma Wilungula, director general of the Congolese Institute for Nature Conservation, welcomed the tourists’ release.
[....]
Virunga Park director, Emmanuel de Merode, said: “We are deeply saddened by the death of Virunga National Park Ranger Baraka, whose life was tragically cut short while protecting the passengers and driver. We wish to extend our deepest condolences to her family and our sincerest gratitude for her bravery and service to Congo. We would like to thank the U.K. government for their support with this issue.”
[....]

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6276374/congo-british-kidnap-released-gang-virunga-national-park/

sted thiiis when it first came out and couldn't because iiit was so upsetting. The mmmilitary is probably behind alot of these nebulous murders and attacks at these parks right now as they are in with sme of the criminal cartels that are involved in the charcoal clearing along with other things including poaching. Not too long ago 5 rangers were murdered in this park or another like it., the corrupt government as well as the so called insurgents bth wants the parks dismantled for their resources and are two sides to a dirty coin now

I can kinda see going to the Congo for an outreach mission, you'd have a purpose but the article calls them "tourists" and if that's true, I don't feel bad for them for wanting to vacation in one of the most dangerous places to vacation in the world. you wouldn't take an american bus tour of isis strongholds or go to mexico city, mexico wearing a suit made of 100 dollar bills screaming fuck the cartels, my point is don't go vacation anywhere there's corrupt governments especially if you stick out like a sore thumb... unless you're ok with either disappearing or become another beheading while still alive liveleak video.

I can kinda see going to the Congo for an outreach mission, you'd have a purpose but the article calls them "tourists" and if that's true, I don't feel bad for them for wanting to vacation in one of the most dangerous places to vacation in the world. you wouldn't take an american bus tour of isis strongholds or go to mexico city, mexico wearing a suit made of 100 dollar bills screaming fuck the cartels, my point is don't go vacation anywhere there's corrupt governments especially if you stick out like a sore thumb... unless you're ok with either disappearing or become another beheading while still alive liveleak video.
these people weren't here for a vacation regardless of the tourist label they were there t see the gorillas that actually need to be moved out of the area. Oe former hunter told of how the gorillas would actually get on their knees and hold their hands out in a prayer like posture begging to keep from getting shot as there are maggots that still think it is cool to have gorilla parts

Tourism and the money it brings is one of the few reasons Congo would have to keep protecting the gorillas. Not tourists, no money, - and eventually, no gorillas. They are braver than I would be, though.

Tourism and the money it brings is one of the few reasons Congo would have to keep protecting the gorillas. Not tourists, no money, - and eventually, no gorillas. They are braver than I would be, though.
if it weren't for all the outside interest & groups they would have already been butchered and the area mowed down

Back