• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Three feet, no bodies wash up on Canadian island

GABRIOLA ISLAND, British Columbia -- Should a fourth human foot float ashore here in the evergreen Gulf Islands off the west coast of Canada, the person who finds it would no doubt want to know the answers to three questions.

Is it a right foot?

Is it wearing a running shoe?

Is the shoe a size 12?

After all, for the first three feet that surfaced on the rocky coastlines of three separate islands in the Strait of Georgia over the last six months, the answer has been yes in nearly every case. The only uncertainty is what size shoe No. 3 was wearing when it was spotted by a boater on the beach of remote Valdez Island on Feb. 8. The coroner's office, facing a bit of a news media blitz, has yet to say.

Story

So like...do they dna test the feet to see if any are pairs? Or is this some weird cult that cuts off your feet so you can't run away?

Whoa...that's crazy. If they've all been right feet, that means they came from three different people.

Who's gunning for the right feet of male joggers? How weird is that?

Damn, now THAT'S scary. I'm a runner. I happen to like my right foot. AND I wear a size 12 in running shoes.

Slapped, shoved, spread, fucked, moved and merged. Yee-Haw!

Ewwww.

Am I the first person in here since you did all this?

GROSS!

What is everyone's guess with this story? What hypothesis makes sense? Do we have a serial killer here? Could it be that someone is chopping up bodies and dumping them Dexter-Style, and the sneakers are providing enough buoyancy to have them get loose?
If so, what are the chances that we get three right feet?

Let's assume the 4th foot is a left foot. If so, the coincidence isn't that great, and we could have a total of 3 victims.

My guess is that this has something to do with all that "Free" healthcare up in Canada. When you give shit away, you are just asking for crap like this.

What is everyone's guess with this story? What hypothesis makes sense? Do we have a serial killer here?

My guess is that this has something to do with all that "Free" healthcare up in Canada. When you give shit away, you are just asking for crap like this.

The article dated yesterday has a lot of new information. This paragraph is particularly troubling to me...

Even with DNA samples obtained from Nos. 1 and 2, and with constant calls from residents suggesting whom the feet might have helped propel in the past, no identifications have been made and no causes of death determined. Nor has anyone reported finding any left feet.

I doubt its disease related because of the shoes. There was another interesting little thing in the 2nd article, also, about tides, and where things would've had to come from to end up there.

"They might be aggregated somewhere else," said Curtis Ebbesmeyer, a former professor of oceanography at the University of Washington who has made a career of tracking the routes of floating objects, including (empty) sneakers spilled from cargo ships. Ebbesmeyer said the opposite shapes of left and right shoes could make them respond differently to currents.

"Running shoes are quite buoyant," said Ebbesmeyer, who is completing a book, "The Floating World," to be published by HarperCollins. "They would tend to encase a foot and keep it floating. A body comes apart naturally; it's called disarticulation. The head usually comes off first. The parts of the body that are protected will last the longest. The shoe usually floats soles up, so that might prevent the seabirds from pecking at it."

Thanks ells. My new working theory is: Shipwreck.

(let's see how long it lasts)

Fourth severed foot found on B.C. coast

By Associated Press
updated 2:30 p.m. ET, Sat., May. 24, 2008

VANCOUVER, B.C. - For the fourth time in less than a year, a right human foot has been found off one of four different islands in the Strait of Georgia in British Columbia.

Police said Friday that they do not know if there are any links among the feet. Speculation in the region is rife, including that the feet were from slaying victims or they were the remains from a plane crash. Police have not reached any conclusions.

Police said a passer-by found a human foot in a shoe on Kirkland Island in the South Arm of the Fraser River on Thursday.

"It's certainly a mystery we intend on solving," Police Constable Annie Linteau said. "It's certainly very unusual."

Last August, a foot was found inside a man's Reebok sneaker on nearby Gabriola Island, just a few days after another foot was discovered by beachcombers on Jedidiah Island.

The remains of a fourth right foot were found on the east side of Valdez Island on Feb 8.

There is no evidence to suggest the foot -- or any or the previous three-- was forcibly removed, Linteau said.

"All four were wearing socks and were in a running shoe," Linteau said.

Two of the feet are size 12. Police have not released the size of the others.

There has been speculation the feet may have come from a plane which hit the water three years ago, killing five men off Quadra Island. Only one body was recovered.

The victims' families paid for the plane wreckage to be pulled from the depths but there were no bodies inside the wreckage.

Linteau could not comment on whether or not the feet were from the crash victims.

"That's something we are exploring as well," she said.

British Columbia chief coroner Terry Smith said DNA profiles have been taken from the first three feet. He could not comment on the investigation or the new finding.

The fourth foot is now at his office, Linteau said.

Linteau said missing persons files are also being examined.

Curtis Ebbesmeyer, a former professor of oceanography at the University of Washington who studies floating objects, said when the third foot was found that the feet could have drifted from as far as 1,000 miles.

Ebbesmeyer said it may not be a coincidence they were found in the same area. He said left shoes and right shoes often tend to wash up at different times at different places because they float differently.

He added that there are beaches that collect mostly rights and others that collect mostly lefts because the winds or currents sort out left and right foot wear.

Ebbesmeyer speculated the feet belong to people who have disappeared while out on the water.

Last August, a foot was found inside a man's Reebok sneaker on nearby Gabriola Island, just a few days after another foot was discovered by beachcombers on Jedidiah Island...."All four were wearing socks and were in a running shoe," Linteau said.

Good place to vacation if you're looking for free shoes!

There is no evidence to suggest the foot -- or any or the previous three-- was forcibly removed, Linteau said.

My guess is that the removal of the feet required some force.

Ebbesmeyer said it may not be a coincidence they were found in the same area. He said left shoes and right shoes often tend to wash up at different times at different places because they float differently.

He added that there are beaches that collect mostly rights and others that collect mostly lefts because the winds or currents sort out left and right foot wear.

I call "bullshit" on this.

My guess is the plane crash. The reason they are finding feet is because the shoes float, so as the bodies rot (or other parts are eaten), the feet make their way to the surface and onto a beach. The Left/Right shit is coincidence.

Fascinating story, though. Can't wait to see what surfaces next!

Another severed foot found in British Columbia.

Delta police made the grizzly discovery Monday morning after being called to check out a suspicious object at the 2800 block of Savage Road, in Westham Island, Ladner.

The remains are believed to be a human left foot, which was partially submerged in water.

The Delta Police Criminal Investigation Section is working with the BC Coroners Service to establish identity and liaising with outside agencies to determine if this is linked to the other partial remains recovered in the recent past.

Delta Police said they will not release any more information until the examination is complete.

In the last year alone, four shoes containing the remains of human feet have been found on the shorelines of islands located on B.C.'s Georgia Strait.

Prior to Monday's find in Ladner, foot remains were located May 22 on Kirkland Island, in the Vancouver suburb of Richmond.

http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/ab...temid=CTVNews/20080616/BC_missing_foot_080616

From UC's second link.....
Curtis Ebbesmeyer, an oceanographer based in Seattle, Wash., said when a human body is submerged in the ocean, the main parts like arms, legs, hands, feet and the head are usually what come off the body.

I wonder why there hasn't been any reports of any other body parts??

Did anyone see this link?
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080523/BC_severed_foot_080523

Kevin DeCock believes that the feet may be a result from a float plane crash that took place in Febuary 2005 where his brothers and three other passengers died. According to the link, a passenger's body washed up so the family paid to have the wreckage brought back to the surface but no other bodies were discovered.

Decock has been trying to find his brothers' bodies since the crash and had been dragging a hook along the bottom of the ocean two weeks before the first feet came to the shore. He believes he "stirred something up".

Should be interesting to see the outcome of that, his father had given DNA two months ago and police seem to be taking that lead very seriously.

I wonder what kind of condition the feet would be in being under water for 3 years and all if it is linked to this plane crash.

I wonder if that left matches any of the rights. It is just weird to me. You never hear of feet washing up on the shorelines of America. Every so often I will see one shoe in the road. It is always a single shoe. I wonder if they have feet in them. *shrugs*

I wonder if that left matches any of the rights. It is just weird to me. You never hear of feet washing up on the shorelines of America. Every so often I will see one shoe in the road. It is always a single shoe. I wonder if they have feet in them. *shrugs*

haha. omgosh or those shoes thrown over the electric lines!

So Jaded just let me know that another severed foot has been found. This makes the sixth. Now this is getting way beyond weird. Thanks Jaded.

(CNN) -- A severed foot -- the sixth in 11 months -- washed up on the shore of a Canadian island on Wednesday, police said.
Severed feet have washed up on Westham Island, south of Vancouver, British Columbia.

Severed feet have washed up on Westham Island, south of Vancouver, British Columbia.

The right foot was found by a local woman walking on the beach, said Sgt. Mike Tresoor of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police in the town of Campbell River on Vancouver Island, British Columbia.

"A local citizen walking on a beach in Tyee Spit located what appears to be human remains of a right foot in an approximate size 10 black Adidas running shoe," police said in a written statement.

The foot will be examined by a forensic pathologist and DNA testing will be requested, said the statement, posted on the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Web site.

Sandra Malone, manager of the Thunderbird RV Park and Campground on the spit, said a woman came in about 10:30 a.m. and asked her to call police, saying she had found the shoe with the foot inside it.

While waiting for police, Malone told CNN she walked down to the beach with the woman and saw it for herself.

"You could see the foot that's inside the running shoe," she said. "The leg bones were coming out of the running shoe about 3 to 4 inches. There were no tissues or anything attached."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/06/18/canada.feet/index.html

Last edited:
Back