• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://www.9news.com/news/health/illness-linked-to-marijuana-use-on-the-rise-in-colorado/381361969
[....]
Experts say CHS is caused by chronic or heavy use of marijuana, which means ingesting or smoking marijuana at least once a day.

The symptoms can be severe. Patients have reported intense, non-stop nausea and stomach pain that can sometimes last up to a month.

Dr. Kennon Heard, a physician with the University of Colorado Hospital, is one of several doctors studying the effects of CHS.

He and his team found that the number of hospital visits for CHS doubled since medical marijuana became prevalent. The study takes a closer look at more than 2,500 hospital visits. From 2008 to 2009, the study found there were 41 visits to emergency rooms for CHS. From 2010 to 2011, after what the study describes as the “post-liberalization” period for medical marijuana, the number jumped to 87 ER visits.

"We see them here on a daily to weekly basis," Dr. Heard said.

Dr. Heard says CHS is not a major health problem if you compare it side by side to the consequences of alcohol use. However, he adds that symptoms can be severe and can last for months.

"You can imagine ending up in the emergency department 3 to 5 times," Dr. Heard said.

Experts say, the number of people suffering from CHS is unclear because not everyone who has it goes to the hospital.

"The biggest problem we've seen with this disease is that until now, it's been unrecognized and therefore, these people are suffering longer than they need to."

Many marijuana users have asked why they are only now hearing about CHS. Dr. Heard says, while the illness may have been documented as early as 2004, the symptoms haven't always been recognized.
[....]
People who have the illness have found ways to relieve the symptoms by taking hot showers and relaxing.

Peter Williams says he's experienced symptoms of CHS for at least four years. He's not sure what triggered the symptoms that sent him to the hospital numerous times.

"I got really sick and it was the most intense nausea I've ever felt in my life that had no relief," Williams said. "The only relief for me was taking scalding hot baths or showers to feel better for 15 minutes."

Williams said he stopped consuming marijuana but once he started again, the symptoms came back.

"I quit marijuana for two months and then I got sick again and I thought, it can't be the marijuana. But I don't think two months was long enough to get it out of my system," Williams said.

Williams, who just recovered from CHS, said he'll wait at least six months before trying to smoke again. He wants pot users to be cautious but not afraid of consuming marijuana.

"I see the benefits of marijuana everyday," Williams says.

Doctors say, people experiencing symptoms should visit a doctor immediately, adding that CHS can lead to dehydration and kidney problems if it goes unchecked.

Dr. Heard says the cure to CHS is simple: stop using marijuana.
[....]

So, is this some of that "fake news" of the officially approved variety or is there really such an ailment related to mj consumption?

I've smoked more than once daily for years and thank God I've never experienced this... 9news is the only one reporting this phenomenon, not on any of our other news channels..

Decent article on the subject:

People who suffer from CHS often find that hot showers alleviate their symptoms, and this provides another clue for the cause of the syndrome. According to the study from Philadelphia, “hot bathing may act by correcting the cannabis induced disequilibrium of the thermoregulatory system of the hypothalamus.”

While cannabis is revered for its nausea-calming (antiemetic) properties, it’s paradoxical that it causes severe nausea and vomiting in certain people. Due to its widely known antiemetic properties, people who develop CHS will often increase the amount of cannabis they consume in hopes that it will cure the nausea, but it never helps. It goes to show how little we know about not only about the body, but also about the interaction between cannabis and cannabinoid receptors.

CHS is a very rare syndrome and is easily cured by stopping the consumption of cannabis. This should not, by any means, hurt marijuana’s reputation for being the safest recreational drug around, but people need to be aware of the syndrome’s existence. If you know anyone with these symptoms tell him or her go to a doctor and stop smoking.​

http://hightimes.com/medicinal/what-is-cannabinoid-hyperemesis-syndrome/

I've never met anyone who's had this. Not in 25 years. I have; however, met quite a few people who cannot smoke because it causes panic attacks.

I've run into that too. The poor dude really missed his weed because it had originally moderated his anxiety.

Funny...I didn't see anything mentioned in the study about herbicides, fungicides or chemical nutrients that are used in a lot of commercial farms...Not to mention insecticides....

So, is this some of that "fake news" of the officially approved variety or is there really such an ailment related to mj consumption?
I think it is something contaminating the weed they are talking about as I have never heard of it before&been around habitual pot smokers as well as people that have used it medically

I've smoked more than once daily for years and thank God I've never experienced this... 9news is the only one reporting this phenomenon, not on any of our other news channels..
Once a day???
Hell, I've been smoking way more than once a day for probably 30 years and have never felt anything but, maybe a little tired .. :cool:

Must be fake news ..

Once a day???
Hell, I've been smoking way more than once a day for probably 30 years and have never felt anything but, maybe a little tired .. :cool:

Must be fake news ..

Lol. I said "more than once daily for years"
Lmao
Let me rephrase it.. i smoke/ eat edibles/ do dabs several times a day, for over 20 years (exception being when i was pregnant or breastfeeding)

LMAO

Funny...I didn't see anything mentioned in the study about herbicides, fungicides or chemical nutrients that are used in a lot of commercial farms...Not to mention insecticides....
This.

There is some products on the market for treating pests and it can only be used 42 or more days before consumption. It's called forbid and is outlawed in some states.

I believe the plants had something sprayed on them and it caused the issues.

As far as paranoia. I have a shitty time on sativas. Indica is the way to go.

I believe the plants had something sprayed on them and it caused the issues.
YES!
Just cuz pot is legal, does not mean that everyone gets it from a dispensary or a regulated source..

I believe that the pesticides used by unregulated sources are the cause of the symptoms as well, not the pot itself.

YES!
Just cuz pot is legal, does not mean that everyone gets it from a dispensary or a regulated source..

I believe that the pesticides used by unregulated sources are the cause of the symptoms as well, not the pot itself.
And not all dispensaries get it from regulated sources. I know someone (very) personally and some of her products have been sold to The Green Door in Oakland CA. But I can certainly witness that she doesn't use those kinds of chemicals.
But, maybe the product was vetted because, it took 2 weeks from when a sample was left there and them to agree to buy some.

Last edited:
Lol. I said "more than once daily for years"
Lmao
Let me rephrase it.. i smoke/ eat edibles/ do dabs several times a day, for over 20 years (exception being when i was pregnant or breastfeeding)

LMAO

Sorry, I must really be off today ..
I was in agreement with you and found humour in your post, I was actually trying to tag onto it .. :oops:

I didn't mean to be rude and laugh at you, I meant to be rude and laugh at the idiotic news ..

Truly, I meant you no harm .. :hug:

I have rarely posted on here, but when I saw this thread I had to. I was diagnosed with cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome right before Thanksgiving. I had been having symptoms for 5 plus years with no diagnosis. I've been in and out of the hospital I'd say over 40 times, and have had countless tests head to toe. This is the one and only time I've had a name to put to all the sympyoms. I literally vomit for weeks at a time, with the only temporarily relief being a hot bath. It is absolutely horrible.

I'm so sorry you're dealing with it and for such a long time. I can't even imagine. What is the long term solution? Did you stop the pot? Thank you for "unlurking" and sharing your experience.

I have rarely posted on here, but when I saw this thread I had to. I was diagnosed with cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome right before Thanksgiving. I had been having symptoms for 5 plus years with no diagnosis. I've been in and out of the hospital I'd say over 40 times, and have had countless tests head to toe. This is the one and only time I've had a name to put to all the sympyoms. I literally vomit for weeks at a time, with the only temporarily relief being a hot bath. It is absolutely horrible.
ever think of radically changing your diet and or lifestyle? [tried that a few times and it works] and check on any other chemical allergies? because at most that is what I think this is or chemicals used around or in the cannabis while it is growing or afterward or you cold just be actually allergic to cannabis in general I am sure there is a percentage of people that might be in the world as there are people with allergies too just about anything. It is more rare with natural herbs/foods but it happens. I''m actually allergic to carrots in larger doses [the juice], it will just about put me in the hospital. Some allergies cme natural others because of medication or over saturation, that can happen too as have sen it when people don't use essential oils in the manner they have been told to... I'm sorry that has happened to you and you didn't have a friend or doctor that pulled the elimination game with you to find out sooner what was causing it

Quitting smoking is the only way to know 100% certainly if that is even my diagnosis. There is no medical test for it. Just kind of trial and error. If I don't get sick again, then great. If I do, then I am going to smoke myself silly and continue looking for a diagnosis.

Quitting smoking is the only way to know 100% certainly if that is even my diagnosis. There is no medical test for it. Just kind of trial and error. If I don't get sick again, then great. If I do, then I am going to smoke myself silly and continue looking for a diagnosis.
I never have been one to smoke it but have been around alot of people who have really don't like edibles unless they are needed for a specific medical reason same with oil or tinctures the atter 2 work the best for pain imo, good luck

And yes, i have tried EVERYTHING to get relief, because I never could through doctors. Diet change, lifestyle changes, excersize....you name it, i tried it. I'm just hoping this is truly what is wrong and it is as simple as quitting smoking. That would be a much better alternative to surgery or medications or whatever else.

I have absolutely no sympathy for you.
Under Michigan law marijuana is listed as a Schedule I controlled substance. Possession of any amount is a misdemeanor which is punishable by a maximum sentence of 1 year imprisonment and a maximum fine of $2,000.

I have absolutely no sympathy for you.
Under Michigan law marijuana is listed as a Schedule I controlled substance. Possession of any amount is a misdemeanor which is punishable by a maximum sentence of 1 year imprisonment and a maximum fine of $2,000.

With all due respect, alcohol is far more damaging and deadly than weed.

Cigarettes, too.

Funny how that shit is legal.

There is the letter of the law and the spirit of the law....I go with my moral compass every time.

That said: if I knew I was violently allergic or predisposed to harrowing side effects from a specific substance or behavior, I'd probably just, you know-- stop.

I adore red wine and it triggers migraines for me. So I don't drink it. Common sense.

With all due respect, alcohol is far more damaging and deadly than weed.

Cigarettes, too.

Funny how that shit is legal.

There is the letter of the law and the spirit of the law....I go with my moral compass every time.

That said: if I knew I was violently allergic or predisposed to harrowing side effects from a specific substance or behavior, I'd probably just, you know-- stop.

I adore red wine and it triggers migraines for me. So I don't drink it. Common sense.
The legal is the part I was referring to. I think pot should be legal, however where I live it is not. If it is not legal, one should not partake. The law is the law. It needs to be changed. Cigs and alcohol are legal, depending on one's age.

But yeah, I don't have dogs partially because I'm allergic to dogs. I've been in the hospital because of my reactions to some. I'm allergic to cats too, but at quite a lesser level. I put up with them because I like them.

Brussels sprouts, however, I hate. They are not illegal, I'm not allergic, I just hate them. Not gonna do them, no matter how good some people say they may taste.

Back