• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
And, her family has just celebrated Jahi's 15th birthday.

Couple of links:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ad-celebrates-15th-birthday-article-1.2412767
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Jahi-McMath-s-family-marks-15th-birthday-amid-6591934.php

Nothing really noteworthy, other than the court hearing the civil suit has ruled that the fmaily can present evidence that she is alive. If they can prove she isn't dead then they can get more money.

Oh, and pictures at the links.

There is one of hearts on Jahi's eyes, tape of some sort. Odd, because if she has function like they are saying then something as involuntary as eye blinking could still occur, right?

Also, their lawyer says if Jahi gets "worse" they;ll remove her from the vent...

What's "worse" than death? Decomposed?

Has anyone seen the pictures of Jahi supposedly on her 15th birthday? Is there a medical reason why she still looks so, well the only word is, fat. I know she was a big girl to start with but it's been 2 years, shouldn't she have lost more weight? Of course we can only see her face, I don't know what I"m trying to say. I know she's brain dead and kept alive by machines, am I looking at this wrong?

Last edited:
I was thinking maybe she is under the bed clothes, they are always careful (in every pictures I've seen anyway) to make sure she is covered, the blanket pulled up very close to her chin so that we can only see her face and it could be swollen, I guess.

Has anyone seen the pictures of Jahi supposedly on her 15th birthday? Is there a medical reason why she still looks so, well the only word is, fat. I know she was a big girl to start with but it's been 2 years, shouldn't she have lost more weight? Of course we can only see her face, I don't know what I"m trying to say. I know she's brain dead and kept alive by machines, am I looking at this wrong?
The only thing I can think of is that perhaps they did an amateur embalming on her fat, possibly bloated corpse. A Lysol IV, some putty and makeup would look a lot like what they're showing. Wouldn't put it past these con artists; stupid fuckers have made a killing off their dead "loved one," so why admit she's dead and cut off the influx of money from religious suckers?

Am drunk. Will likely comment more reasonably mañana.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps they did an amateur embalming on her fat, possibly bloated corpse. A Lysol IV, some putty and makeup would look a lot like what they're showing. Wouldn't put it past these con artists; stupid fuckers have made a killing off their dead "loved one," so why admit she's dead and cut off the influx of money from religious suckers?

Am drunk. Will likely comment more reasonably mañana.
Ya know, other than the gross oversimplification of what'd be involved in a DIY embalming, I stand by my post from last night.

So I don't know much about life support... But how is she getting oxygen? Does she have a respirator? Via tracheotomy maybe, which might explain the blankets being so high? I'm shocked by how she looks two years later. If it's all true, I really hope someone who studies decomp gets to look at her. Whether or not she's decomposing under those blankets, this has to be an unprecedented case of a body being kept artificially "alive" for two years. What kind of effect does that have on the cells? Without hormones, does the body properly "age"? Just think of the science!!!

@gatekeeper I apologize, I'm on my phone and can't click the link. Is there someone other than family who has seen her move?

I don't believe her family, I'm sorry I just don't at this point.

Here ya go, no problem @ all. :) The docs are seeing it, too, but they're all in the Terri Schiavo argument zone right now. From the link:

Jahi McMath's family isn't giving up her their legal fight to void the teen's death certificate.

The California teen was pronounced brain-dead two years ago, after complications arose during tonsil surgery to cure her sleep apnea — leaving the teen suffering from cardiac arrest and brain swelling.

Hospital officials wished to take the girl off life support, and a judge agreed. But before that occurred, her mother, Nailah Winkfield, arranged for the girl's transfer to a facility in New Jersey, which features an exemption to brain death.

McMath, now 15, remains in New Jersey.

Lawyers for Winkfield filed a lawsuit in federal court asking that the girl be declared alive — and to invalidate the death certificate.

If that happens, insurance companies will be required to pay for her medical treatment, says lawyer Chris Dolan, who represents Jahi's family. Additionally, the family could care for the teen in their Oakland home.

"I want her to have the same rights as any other disabled kid," Winkfield said.

BRAIN-DEAD TEEN JAHI MCMATH CAN MOVE PARTS OF BODY UPON COMMAND

Jahi's mother says her daughter shows some signs of life, including the twitching of fingers and toes.

Medical experts said those movements could be spasms and reflexes commonly seen in corpses. They say the teen shows hardly any brain activity and is clinically dead.

But the mother isn't losing hope.

"I won't give up on Jahi, because I'm her mother," Winkfield said.

Just a quickie about her weight. The challenge with patients in long comas, vegetative states, static brain states (brain dead, etc.) is actually losing weight. They're tube fed (either thru their stomachs or an IV line) usually one of two very nutrient dense formulas not only to maintain/stabilize the body's nutritional status in case they wake up/improve, but also to keep their body systems in optimal health for possible organ harvesting, so it's a win-win, but they do gain excess weight and fluids can start backing up depending on how body organ systems are running. It's a daily/weekly/monthly balancing act based on labs.

Some hospitals are now adding "brain booster" formulas in their tube feeding recipes to see if it makes a difference in patient outcomes. Even though it's a big, financial conundrum for all parties concerned, and certainly it's no kind of "life" for anyone to have to be sentenced to, I love the fact we're starting to redefine our idea of what "brain death" is and isn't. Strictly scientifically speaking, I think it's fascinating. The brain is one amazing super computer.

ETA: But, as it stands, that doesn't mean I'll be changing my Living Will/Advance Directives anytime soon.

Last edited:
I know I'm bumping an old thread, (please don't hate me) but it's STILL going on. I scanned through all the posts and didn't see these links. I've been following this story from the beginning, why? I have no life and an unhealthy appreciation for schadenfreude, which is why I love DD. Hopefully I do this right, I have no idea how to post blurbs from links, just the links. (I'm still learning.) If anyone else wants to post some of the pics and text from the links, knock yourself out! First link is a collection of posts & pics taken from the moms social media. (If there's an issue posting this link, mods can remove it.) Second link is Doc Bastard's thoughts on the matter. (I linked his most recent post, it has links to the previous blogs he posted, there's several. He cracks me up.) Third is a blog that has all the legal documentation pertaining to the case.
http://kesselrunin12parsecs.tumblr.com/

http://www.docbastard.net/2017/09/no-jahi-mcmath-is-still-not-alive.html?m=1

http://www.thaddeuspope.com/jahimcmath.html

Thanks for the update @Atrixwolfe . This is one weird ass case from the start and just keeps going and going. There are numerous pics of Jahi with various fancy manicures and nail polish combos, including extensive nail art. And are those her own nails grown out, or have the stuck nail extensions on?

'Cuz that's what you need when you're dead... a fancy manicure. :penguin:

Reminds me of Terri Schiavo whose parents kept insisting her involuntary movements were signs of responsiveness. When she finally died the autopsy found most of her brain had turned to mush.

We hardly ever see stories with this much love and devotion so I'm not going to post an opinion.

Edit
Much love to this family.

Last edited:
I'm not sorry. She died 5 years ago, in reality. This whole thing was an endless tragedy.

Last edited:
Longest death scene since Pee-Wee Herman in the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jahi-mcmath-doctors-declared-brain-050443563.html

A California teen girl at the center of a medical care debate has died five years after doctors declared her brain dead.
Jahi McMath, 17, was removed from life-support machines that helped her breath after she suffered from internal bleeding and kidney issues following a surgery, the Bay Area News Group reported. She died on June 22.
Her brain will be preserved in order for scientists to study it, the McMath family attorney Christopher Dolan told the publication.

If she was declared brain dead 5 years ago, wouldn't she still be 13?

And as I asked in Shout... what is the difference now? Why is the family accepting that she is "Dead" now and not 5 years ago when her brain stopped? I say they ran out of money and no one is supporting their GoFundMe anymore.

I believe they were keeping her hooked up to machines because there was a cap on damages in a lawsuit if she was dead, but either no cap or a vastly higher cap if she was "alive". The family was currently in the process of trying to force the State of California, in court, to rescind her death certificate, which was issued 5 years ago.

Edited to add:
I found an article stating this:
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loc...hat-Could-Cost-Family-Millions-320295721.html

An Alameda County judge is inclined to uphold previous findings that the Oakland girl is dead, even though she's still on life support, the Mercury News reports. If that's the case, it would limit damages in any malpractice case to a few hundred thousand dollars, instead of the millions the family could get if she were considered alive.

I honestly think this was all about the money from the start.

Last edited:
Back