• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

everjaded

ಠ_ಠ
Bold Member!
Hey guys! I know this is random, but there is such a varied group here that I thought it might be worthwhile sharing ideas and tips or tricks for anyone who is doing home improvements.

As a fairly new homeowner I'm often sucked into the gorgeous DIY Pinterest idea rabbit hole, and I am very tempted to try some things that would improve my space immediately and not be super expensive.

I was hoping someone might have some experience with some of this stuff, and be able to comment on the viability: durability, difficulty levels, end result, etc.

Currently I'm looking yearningly at milk painted cabinets... You can supposedly paint over kitchen cabinets without having to first sand and prime them... What sorcery is that?!?

OSpwLBS.jpg

I'm also looking at vinyl sheeting to make over the look of cheap formica countertops, since real stone is not currently in my budget or a super high priority, just an aesthetic wish list kind of thing.

I like the fact that you can peel it up and change things again later without damaging the underlying structure. It comes in all different finishes, here's the best example pic I could find that sort of shows before and after.

7h7wWbz.jpg

I'm going to check into milk painted cabinets pronto. My house got a remodel after the tornado, but the cabinets are the same old ones.

What color are your kitchen cabinets right now?

And are they painted or stained?

Either way, I think I would still use a primer first. If they aren’t like a dark cherry stain or something like that, sanding isnt necessarily needed for a quick, cheap option.

Your choice of paint type will be super important as well.
[doublepost=1519940631,1519939513][/doublepost]Oh!
Might I also suggest this book.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/home-improvement-1-2-3-expert-advice-from-the-home-depot-home-depot--1-2-3/248301/?mkwid=sIxihvvkm|dm&pcrid=70112885352&pkw=&pmt=&plc=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz-nq0orM2QIVE4GzCh14OwbtEAQYASABEgLeAPD_BwE#isbn=0696213273&idiq=1106008

I’ve actually used it more than one would think. If you’re unsure about any of the steps, there’s always YouTube to fall back on.

We’ve installed an entire bathroom, plumbing, tile, grout, etc in our house. Which means Mr Fo just starts doing it and I read that book to learn the right way to do it. :D

What color are your kitchen cabinets right now?

And are they painted or stained?

Either way, I think I would still use a primer first. If they aren’t like a dark cherry stain or something like that, sanding isnt necessarily needed for a quick, cheap option.

Your choice of paint type will be super important as well.

Right now they are just a light wood color. Like basic builder grade stuff. Not terrible by any means, and they're functional, just not really to my taste.

9HBtMGz.jpg

The green mint walls are a light grey now, this was just what I had handy since I'm at work. :) I'd like the counters darker and the cabinets a solid color, maybe also some kind of grey, like medium grey maybe. The appliances and wood wall I'm happy with, but the cabinets and counters are just so plain looking.

Right now they are just a light wood color. Like basic builder grade stuff. Not terrible by any means, and they're functional, just not really to my taste.
The appliances and wood wall I'm happy with, but the cabinets and counters are just so plain looking.
what about a darker stain? the countertops I wouldn't use vinyl on because I am just too rough with counter tops and would ruin vinyl. I would check the area to see if they are doing any major renovation/tear downs or have auctions of things from houses like that or even restaurants, that's usually the best way to pick up the more quality things for alot cheaper

I don't do home improvements.
Too busy prepping for the zombie apocalypse.

I used chalk paint on my pantry doors (antique looking screen doors with opaque screen in them). I thought it was a bit of a bitch to work with especially with all the curlyque cut outs in the doors. Maybe a regular flat surface would be easier. The epoxy for the counters looks more durable something I would consider when doing all that work myself.

Your homei s going to fall apart around you at some point, likely sooner than lately. Parts of your house, such as the furnace/AC/plumbing/water heater/etc. will malfunction and need replacement in the near future for sure.

I'd save your time, money, and home imnprovement patience for when these issues occur, and again, they most def will.

I used chalk paint

I love chalk paint ... I like to doodle.
[doublepost=1520116824,1520116635][/doublepost]
such as the furnace/AC/plumbing/water heater/etc.

@everjaded ... when it does, send me a message. Even though you're in the US I can give you the dirt on rebates and I can probably trouble shoot from here. HVAC ... I know some things about that shit.
[doublepost=1520117567][/doublepost]
maybe also some kind of grey, like medium grey maybe.
Grey is nice ... Dramatic. Warm/cool ... some of the blues are really nice too, but unless it's matte is looks amateur. You could tile a section of your counter top ... YOU totally need a hipper sink, but your taps look pretty good from here. I'm still dying to see what you're going to do with your doors this Christmas.

New
Your homei s going to fall apart around you at some point, likely sooner than lately. Parts of your house, such as the furnace/AC/plumbing/water heater/etc. will malfunction and need replacement in the near future for sure.

@JackBurton , the title does say "Budget home improvement".
Jack makes a good point though.
For us:
Year 1 = new roof. We knew it was needed before we bought the place but 10k...ouch.
Year 2 = new furnace and water heater ( water heaters have a life of around 8 to 12 years - you should check the date on yours to see when it was installed - they often write the date on the unit ).
We are in our fifth year here and just did the first "sexy" home improvement last month.

Youtube is an amazing resource for saving money. I am always surprised at what can be done after watching a few videos. For example, we installed a new garbage disposal ourselves.

3 years here at the house
New roof when I bought it
New Water heater (someone took out the tankless)
New carpet, new flooring

Since I have moved in:
Redid the deck : warped and splintered
Have replaced 2 sides of the fence, neighbor did the rear fence

Still left to do:
Repaint drywall patches,
redo some flooring in living room and office.
Redo the kitchen
Redo the backyard landscaping
Master bath needs a makeover for resale value

I purchased a home warranty covering all the major stuff, so hopefully if anything major craps out I won't have such a huge out of pocket expense. They're supposed to make repairs, and do replacement if they can't repair it.

The water heater is about to the point of its normal expected life, but the inspector who did our inspection before I closed said it could potentially still last another few years, that you just never know.

The main thing I know for sure will be coming up sooner rather than later is sealing some cracks in the exterior stucco and repainting.

The previous homeowners did a lot of things themselves, and I'm finding out now that I'm moved in that a lot of things were done sloppy or by cutting stupid corners. :banghead: Nothing that HAS to be corrected immediately... but things that piss me off because they're aesthetically unpleasant. Like the wood flooring that in one area just lines up (vs the planks being staggered to visually break up any lines).

I feel like all of these things that are on the must do list and the want to do list are interconnected, and it becomes impossible for me to figure out where to start. One project bleeds into another, into another.

I have also thought about some different options for the countertops. I can mosaic and lay tile, etc. But it would be a longer process and I don't want to have things in progress and an unusable kitchen for forever. :( Now that I finally own and can technically do whatever I want it's making me crazy. Lol. Too many options.

I'd save your time, money, and home imnprovement patience for when these issues occur, and again, they most def will.
You're doomed, we're all doomed.
You'll have no heat... You're investment will crumble around you. You'll be homeless, penniless, cold and broke.

You'll have no heat... You're investment will crumble around you. You'll be homeless, penniless, cold and broke.

Can't give you a funny as I'm no longer bold but wahahahahaha.

He really is a downer. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

I painted my 1960-era super glossy varnish over stain kitchen cabinets white about 25 years ago. I did not sand, I merely scrubbed them well and used a degreasing compound. I painted but used no primer. The house is a rental now, and the cabinets are still white, and they still look great.

I watched a video on milk paint the other day, and it didn't look easy. There were multiple coats and sanding after the coats. Mine are stained but ancient. A mixture of, I think, vinegar and canola oil makes them shine, but I would like a lighter color or even charcoal gray which would look good in my kitchen.

:hilarious:

ETA: Just turned 64, my house is 66, I became a first-time homeowner in 1998. Since then I've replaced the kitchen faucet twice, garbage disposal twice, new tub faucets, new hot water lines to one bath, new fan in furnace myself.

As for contracted work, water heater x2, dishwasher x2, and replacement of the sewer line under the street all the way to the main for a whopping $9,655. Still owe about 6,200.00 on that, but now I have shingles flying off the roof, and can't assume another loan.

Last edited:
Water heater went out yesterday. I called the landlord and a couple hours later it was fixed. Almost hurt my finger pressing too hard while I was dialing.

Water heater went out yesterday. I called the landlord and a couple hours later it was fixed. Almost hurt my finger pressing too hard while I was dialing.
The good thing is I don't have a rent increase every 6 months, and as long as it doesn't fall in before I die, I'm the winner. My friends that are renting pay $1000-$1500/month, while my mortgage is 623.00.

Yep, that's a big part of why I finally bought. Where I live it's really hard to find a rental house. Property management companies are snapping them up faster than you can blink, so that's about all that's available on the market

Had a really shitty experience with the past management company, and didn't want to go through that again. Also didn't want to live in an apartment, so the options were limited.

The house I bought is several hundred square feet larger than the last house I was renting, with a MUCH larger yard, and cheaper each month. Plus now at least I'm building equity rather than just throwing money at someone each month so they can pay off the property with my hard earned dollars. Sort of gets to a point of being a no brainer.

Back to the home improvement talk... I've decided against the laminate counter stuff, but now I've discovered THIS:
https://www.stonecoatcountertops.com/stone-coat-gallery

A little hard to tell in the still pics, but there are metal additives like glitters and flake you can add into these that look absolutely gorgeous, and you can totally customize the colors and the overall look. I want to do this soooo badly.

Back to the home improvement talk... I've decided against the laminate counter stuff, but now I've discovered THIS:

A little hard to tell in the still pics, but there are metal additives like glitters and flake you can add into these that look absolutely gorgeous, and you can totally customize the colors and the overall look. I want to do this soooo badly.

I would read a LOT of reviews, especially on sites not owned by the manufacturer. If they are mainly positive and you have some artistic ability and can follow the tutorial instructions, I think it is worth a try. But be realistic about the level of skill required for a good outcome and your personal level of skill.

Yep, that's a big part of why I finally bought. Where I live it's really hard to find a rental house. Property management companies are snapping them up faster than you can blink, so that's about all that's available on the market

Had a really shitty experience with the past management company, and didn't want to go through that again. Also didn't want to live in an apartment, so the options were limited.

The house I bought is several hundred square feet larger than the last house I was renting, with a MUCH larger yard, and cheaper each month. Plus now at least I'm building equity rather than just throwing money at someone each month so they can pay off the property with my hard earned dollars. Sort of gets to a point of being a no brainer.

WHAT HAPPENED WITH THE COUNTERS!!

Your cliffhangers nettle me. NETTLE!

WHAT HAPPENED WITH THE COUNTERS!!

Your cliffhangers nettle me. NETTLE!
Not a goddamned thing in 5+ years LOL. I did put up a backsplash and that's where the progress ended. Never painted those cabinets, either.

Now I've got a whole different house, and different counters to eventually deal with.

Also, I feel I should point out that my old water heater hung tough at the last house the whole time we lived there, not that Jack is around anymore to see it.

@Blunderbuss Firozabad, I have an update, but it isn't counters. Early December I paid off my house, and on the 14th, I walked off my job, and I can finally get a new roof.
@McDanel Congratulations and we'll done!! You are an untitled member of the landed gentry!

@everjaded....well, I'm disappointed about the sparkly stuff, disappointed Jack didn't see his gloomy predictions fail, but what's this about a whole different house?!!

What will you be upgrading there?

Maybe installing a garden windo-... ...
no, a terrarium would look smart in the kitchen window, much less costly
Maybe a bat house in the yard.... no, an Owl Nesting Box, watch some nature from that window.

@McDanel Congratulations and we'll done!! You are an untitled member of the landed gentry!

@everjaded....well, I'm disappointed about the sparkly stuff, disappointed Jack didn't see his gloomy predictions fail, but what's this about a whole different house?!!

What will you be upgrading there?

Maybe installing a garden windo-... ...
no, a terrarium would look smart in the kitchen window, much less costly
Maybe a bat house in the yard.... no, an Owl Nesting Box, watch some nature from that window.
Oh you wicked wicked woman, snickering behind your hand at a poor innocent air plant's terrible misfortune. You're incorrigible.

The jobs here will be numerous and major, and once again I am somewhat paralyzed with where to start because they're all somewhat interconnected.

I have dreams of some vague lovely kitchen with gleaming new appliances, a smooth, cool stone countertop, and of course a ton of those sexy soft close doors and drawers, but the actual planning that will inevitably go into reconfiguring everything to accomplish all these HGTV wet dreams has not come to fruition yet.

@Blunderbuss Firozabad, I have an update, but it isn't counters. Early December I paid off my house, and on the 14th, I walked off my job, and I can finally get a new roof.
Hold up.
I was so tickled about the house I missed the part about you walking off your job.

I'm thrilled you're in a position now, you could. No more dealing with the public. Wonderful!

What's next? Will you be building and traveling in a Vardo? Putting your feet up and reading the classics? Reporting and writing freelance for the local newspaper? Starting a MLM?

Walked off your dang job.
I'm pleased for you.

Back