• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

For those unsure of who Mr. Zevon is, he was a rock icon of the 1970's. One of his most famous compositions is "Werewolves of London" which is still played on many local rock radio stations to this day.

Warren Zevon wrote the song "My shit's fucked up" in 2000, and it appeared on his album titled "Life'll Kill ya". The song tells the story of aging, and the human body decaying as we age. It has a delta blues and sad ballad tone to it. In the song, Warren speaks with a Doctor who breaks some bad news to him in a very simple way. Warren explains to the Doctor that he's not feeling well, and the Doctor simply responds with "Let me break it to you, son. Your shit's fucked up.".

Here's why this is interesting. 2 years after the song was written, Warren Zevon was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer known as Inoperable Peritoneal Mesothelioma. It's a form of cancer associated with asbestos. Warren Zevon died in 2003 as a result of this disease. He was 56 years old when he died.

Take a listen to the song. Honestly, I've had it on repeat since I first heard it around an hour ago. It's a wonderful piece. Yes, this is a live cut. I listened to the studio cut, and it's good. However, there is something about seeing Mr. Zevon play it by himself that gives it a whole other sense of feeling. It's as if you could see that he knew something was wrong. This video was recorded from a concert in 2000, before he was diagnosed.

Other than that, it's just a beautiful and relatable piece of music. Enjoy everyone! Feel free to listen to the studio cut on Youtube as well. It's in a different key, and has the full band.

Back