• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

cubby

Live Long and Prosper
Bold Member!
https://www.yahoo.com/news/military-plane-crashes-near-airport-georgia-161933343.html

A crew of nine Puerto Ricans were flying an Air National Guard C-130 into retirement in Arizona when it crashed onto a highway in Georgia on Wednesday, and authorities said there appeared to be no survivors.

The plane crashed onto state highway 21 moments after taking off from the Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport, narrowly missing people on the ground and sending an orange and black fireball into the sky.

"It miraculously did not hit any cars, any homes," Effingham County Sheriff's spokeswoman Gena Bilbo said. "This is a very busy roadway."

The huge plane's fuselage appeared to have struck the median, and pieces of its wings, which spanned 132 feet (40 meters), were scattered across lanes in both directions. The only part still intact was the tail section, said Chris Hanks, a spokesman for the Savannah Professional Firefighters Association.

The plane was more than 60 years old, said Isabelo Rivera, Adjutant General of Puerto Rico's National Guard. Belonging to the 156th Air Wing, it was used to rescue U.S. citizens stranded in the British Virgin Islands following Hurricane Irma and ferry supplies to the U.S. territory of Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria last year.
"The planes that we have in Puerto Rico -- it's not news today that they are the oldest planes on inventory," Rivera said. Puerto Rico's National Guard has five other similar planes, two of which are not in use because they require maintenance, he said.

It's too early to say what might have caused the accident, he said. The plane last received maintenance at the base in Savannah in April.

All nine crew members had helped with hurricane recovery efforts, Rivera said.
An official in Georgia, speaking to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity, said it appears no one on board survived. The official spoke on condition of not being identified, saying he wasn't authorized to release the death toll.
"This pains us," Rivera said of the deaths. They aren't releasing names until all the families have been contacted, but "most of them already know and have come to the base" on the island, Rivera said.
Motorist Mark Jones told the Savannah Morning News that he saw the plane hit the road right in front of him, about a mile (less than two kilometers) from the airport.

"It didn't look like it nosedived, but it almost looked like it stalled and just went almost flat right there in the middle of the highway," Jones said, describing how people stopped and got out of their cars following the explosion.
"I'm still shook up and shaking. My stomach is in knots because I know they're people just like me. I wasn't that far from it and I could have just kept going and it would have been me and we wouldn't be talking right now," Jones said.

There is a video at this link that shows just how this plane just fell out of the sky, it took a nose dive towards the ground, spinning and crashing on the hiway. How no one else was killed is miraculous.

Last edited:
http://abc13.com/news/military-plan...ghway-had-just-undergone-maintenance/3423581/
An Air National Guard C-130 cargo plane that crashed on a Georgia highway and killed nine crew members had just undergone maintenance and was headed to Arizona when disaster struck, a military official said Thursday morning.
[....]
Boone said the cargo-plane was manufactured in the late 1970s and had been in Savannah for routine maintenance. He said it was headed to Arizona on a "routine mission" when it plummeted onto busy Highway 21, which remained completely closed in the area Thursday morning.

Earlier reports indicated the plane was 60 years old and was headed to Arizona to be decommissioned, but Boone said he could not confirm those reports.

He said the cause of the crash remains under investigation.

If the plane was going to Davis-Monthan Air Force Base in Arizona, it makes perfect sense if it was about to be decommissioned. Since that is where the military aircraft graveyard is. Which by the way is an awesome sight, if you're into that stuff.

I would imagine it received maintenance just to get it there. So sad to see.

Back