• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A homeless teen hoping to land a college scholarship playing football was banned by the principal of his high school from appearing in a game attended by college recruiters who came to his game specifically to see him play.

According to WJLA, 18-year-old Jamal Speaks, who attends a Ballou-STAY Opportunity Academy, was to set to play Saturday in the game with the knowledge that college scouts — including one who has previously expressed interest in offering him a scholarship — would be there to watch.

However, Ballou principal Willie Jackson refused to let Speaks step on the field over worries about residency requirements, going so far as to threaten the school’s football coach job if he disobeyed him.

According to the report, Speaks attended the school and played on the team previously during his freshman and sophomore years but was forced off when he had to resort to sleeping on couches wherever he could after becoming homeless.

Speaks and his godmother appealed to the State Athletic Association back in August when issues arose and he was cleared to play, with Ward 8 Council member Trayon White stepping in to help the teen find permanent housing.

Despite those efforts, and the fact that Speaks’ teammates spent 45 minutes delaying Saturday’s game in the hopes he could play, principal Jackson refused to relent.

The report goes on to say that a scout from Temple University in Philadelphia — who was in attendance on Saturday — has dangled a scholarship offer if the teen is able to keep his grades up.
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/09/ho...-front-college-recruiters-residency-concerns/

. The report goes on to say that a scout from Temple University in Philadelphia — who was in attendance on Saturday — has dangled a scholarship offer if the teen is able to keep his grades up.
Keep your grades up. Make your principal eat a shit sandwich.
I'm pulling for you!

You know what... I'm so mad about this ass hole trying to manipulate this situation. He should be fired from his job.

I'm thinking this principal wanted his son, a nephew, a friend's son etc to get that scholarship.
Why else would he block this kid.
A true educator would want his student to succeed.

A true educator would want his student to succeed.

This article doesn't clarify the fact that Jamal Speaks attends Ballou-STAY Opportunity Academy, and not the high school in question where he used to play football. So you see, the principal, Willie Jackson, cited in this article isn't HIS principal. Cara Fuller Ballou-STAY Opportunity Academy is his principal. These are two different schools.

https://www.balloustay.com/apps/staff/

Eighteen-year-old Jamal Speaks, a Ballou-STAY Opportunity Academy senior, was set to play Saturday in the regular Ballou High School football team's game against Anacostia. But principal Willie Jackson stepped in and said no and reportedly threatened to fire the coach if Speaks played.

"I'm being told I can't play by the principal,” Speaks said. “I don't know why he telling me I can't play."

DC officials say Speaks is eligible to play for any DC high school because his school doesn’t have its own athletic program.
Jackson has not responded to calls from ABC7.
https://news4sanantonio.com/news/nation-world/homeless-dc-student-ballou-football

Neither article has stated why Speaks has been off the team for the past two years. The article I'm linking states he can play at other schools because his own doesn't have a program, but - coming from Speaks' POV - he's saying he can't play because he's homeless. But district policy says he's eligible - so where is the truth? It is better to withhold judgment on this principal and ask what other reasons are there that would explain why he is not allowed to play on the school's football team. Until that is explained, we don't have enough to form an educated opinion.

This is just disgusting. That "coach" needs to be fired ASAP.! Manipulative fuckwad, the scouts were there to see HIM play. Not the team sans this kid. That's not a "coach", that's a fucking bully! :shifty:
Principal, threatened to fire the coach if he played him
Coach was pulling for the kid

This article doesn't clarify the fact that Jamal Speaks attends Ballou-STAY Opportunity Academy, and not the high school in question where he used to play football. So you see, the principal, Willie Jackson, cited in this article isn't HIS principal. Cara Fuller Ballou-STAY Opportunity Academy is his principal. These are two different schools.

https://www.balloustay.com/apps/staff/

https://news4sanantonio.com/news/nation-world/homeless-dc-student-ballou-football

Neither article has stated why Speaks has been off the team for the past two years. The article I'm linking states he can play at other schools because his own doesn't have a program, but - coming from Speaks' POV - he's saying he can't play because he's homeless. But district policy says he's eligible - so where is the truth? It is better to withhold judgment on this principal and ask what other reasons are there that would explain why he is not allowed to play on the school's football team. Until that is explained, we don't have enough to form an educated opinion.

Thanks but no matter. It is my opinion he is still an asshole.

. This article doesn't clarify the fact that Jamal Speaks attends Ballou-STAY Opportunity Academy, and not the high school in question where he used to play football. So you see, the principal, Willie Jackson, cited in this article isn't HIS principal. Cara Fuller Ballou-STAY Opportunity Academy is his principal. These are two different schools.
It's a continuation school. Since the continuation school doesn't have sports, he is eligible. The principal is a dick. What does he have against this kid possibly getting a scholarship? His ego because the kid did attend his school and then went to a continuation school after becoming homeless.

Non of this makes sense, as usual when it sounds fishy, there’s usually a lot more to the story

So a kid in a bad situation has a chance to get out of it and possibly better himself.
Yet an authority figure says no, even though HIS bosses say it is ok for the kid to play?
This stinks to high heaven.

So he was cleared to play, as far as age and school, but not as residency
One place says principal one place says coach
Another article says they’ve had issues with schools bringing in ringers from other districts to p

Heartbreak:' Ballou High School Football Player Ineligible Due to Homelessness
D.C. Public School officials say the State Athletic Association ruled that Speaks is eligible to play. But the athletic association for D.C. Public Schools says officials can't verify where Speaks lives.

Speaks said he is aware he could play for another high school, but he considers Ballou his family.

But principal Willie Jackson stepped in and said no and reportedly threatened to fire the coach if Speaks played.

but there’s no reason a high school coach should be standing in the way of a player who has a chance to earn a scholarship. If Speaks is in good standing with his school, he should be allowed to play.

If those football scouts had any hearts at all they'd insist on seeing this kid play, but recruiting is ruthless.

Need more concrete info about the rules and specifically WHY the principle didnt want him to play.

I do think it's horseshit that these schools can just go around picking, choosing, recruiting players like this. Wonder how much hunting went on to find some alternative school kid they could offer a spot on their team. Shouldnt be how it works on that level.

If the student is in continuation school and is required to keep upgrades to qualify for a scholarship, he's probably not going to make the academic grade anyway.
There is too much missing information.

If the student is in continuation school and is required to keep upgrades to qualify for a scholarship, he's probably not going to make the academic grade anyway.
There is too much missing information.
That doesn't appear to be the case.
For sure the principal would have given that as the reason.
He gave this for his reason:
. However, Ballou principal Willie Jackson refused to let Speaks step on the field over worries about residency requirements, going so far as to threaten the school’s football coach job if he disobeyed him.

That doesn't appear to be the case.For sure the principal would have given that as the reason.
r
I mean that the student's academic level from continuation chill may not make him college material anyway. If all he can do is play ball, he's probably not going to end up with a viable future. Very few college athletes become pro, he has to get some other skill or he'll be another news item about the former college athlete who lives in his car.

February 6th 2020
A former DC high school football star accused of murdering his girlfriend has pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter and obstruction of justice.

Jamal Speaks pleaded guilty this week and will be sentenced in Prince George's County court in April, according to ABC7's Brad Bell.

In 2019, Speaks was arrested and charged with first-degree murder and second-degree murder. He also faced assault and weapons charges. Speaks made headlines in 2018 when he was told he couldn't play football for Ballou High School because he was homeless.
According to an investigation, Prince George’s County patrol officers responded to a home on April 7, 2019, where they found 18-year-old Saniyah Floyd suffering from a single gunshot wound. Floyd died at the scene.

In a preliminary investigation, officers and detectives were advised by witnesses that Floyd accidentally shot herself. An autopsy later revealed that her wound could not have been self-inflicted; therefore the medical examiner ruled her death a homicide.

A further investigation revealed Speaks had illegally purchased the gun used in connection to Floyd’s death and “had been playing with the gun throughout the day.”

Back