• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...OURS-ice-fuelled-man-threatened-blow-jet.html
A police decision to leave more than 200 frightened passengers in a plane for 90 minutes after a meth-fuelled man threatened to blow it up has been questioned by a Victorian judge.

County Court Judge Michael McInerney says it is 'almost incomprehensible' the passengers were left waiting.

Judge McInerney made the comment during a plea hearing on Thursday for Manodh Marks, 25, who in May stormed the cabin soon after take-off carrying a pair of speakers and a USB charger, claiming it was a bomb.
4B90DE3B00000578-5659115-Judge_McInerney_made_the_comment_during_a_plea_hearing_on_Thursd-a-1_1524730193647.jpg

[....]
Crown prosecutor Krista Breckweg told Judge McInerney it had been a tactical decision by police, with concerns Marks had an accomplice.

A visibly agitated Marks fought off cabin crew and fellow passengers while holding two devices with blue lights, she said.

'I have a bomb with me I want to talk to the pilot, I want to talk to the captain, don't come near me I want to destroy this aircraft, I want to destroy this plane,' Ms Breckweg said a witness heard Marks say.

Marks was eventually overpowered and restrained with cable ties, while the speakers and charger were taken to the back of the plane by crew, covered in pillows.
4B90DE6B00000578-5659115-The_court_was_told_on_the_day_Marks_was_put_on_the_plane_by_his_-a-7_1524730195754.jpg

The ordeal lasted about 15 minutes and cost Malaysia Airlines nearly $63,500 but the company has not sought compensation.

The court was told on the day Marks was put on the plane by his brother to return to their family in Sri Lanka, the student had just been released from voluntary psychiatric care.

Between being released and getting to the airport, Marks took the drug ice and retrieved the only items of value he owned in Australia - the speakers and charger - from his car.

Marks had come to Australia in 2016 to study hospitality.
[....]
On Thursday Marks pleaded guilty to one charge of attempting to take control of flight MH128 while people were on board on May 31, 2017 and he faces up to 20 years in prison.

Mr Marsh said Marks' parents were 'horrified and mortified' when they heard what their son had done and there was a 'great sense of familial shame' but they were also keen to help their son through his illness.

'He misses his family and has an anxious desire to return to Colombo,' Mr Marsh said.

Outside court, passenger Brendan Roach told reporters the wait in the plane once it had landed had been more stressful than the bomb scare.

Marks is due to return to court on June 7.

. Marks was eventually overpowered and restrained with cable ties, while the speakers and charger were taken to the back of the plane by crew, covered in pillows.
:nailbiting:
What if it really was a bomb. A pillow wasn't going to do a thing.

Hey! I'm always so happy to see my home state make an appearance!
Current regulations make it relatively difficult to smuggle a large explosive device onto an airliner. If it happened to be a tiny device, 3ft of pillows/seat cushions might make all of the difference in the world, especially if those cushions happened to be some sort of high density foam. I doubt that this is any kind of standard procedure though, I can't imagine an airline having anything other than "Don't touch it or go near it" as SOP.

Back