• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Liberty Gratz is deaf and she is slowly losing her sight.

That hasn't stopped the 21-year-old from working. But on the afternoon of April 22, she had an interaction with a customer at the Midlothian, Va. Publix grocery store where she works that will stay with her.

Gratz was kneeling down to arrange items on a lower shelf, when a customer hit her.

"All of a sudden, I felt some woman hit me in my back," Liberty said, through her mother Jeanette Gratz's interpreting, according to CBS 17.

Gratz couldn't hear the woman asking where to find an item in the store, so the woman became violent, her mother told The News & Observer on April 24.

"At this point Liberty was stunned, but turned and told the lady she couldn’t hear by pointing to her ear and shaking her head no," Jeanette said. "She handed the lady a pen and paper so she could tell her what she needed, then showed her where it was. She said the lady still acted and looked angry while she was helping her."

Publix was supportive and management searched security footage, but no one could determine the identity of the woman who hit Gratz.

"They kept looking again and again and again, but you couldn't see because there were so many people blocking the camera," Liberty signed while her mother interpreted for CBS17. "It was hard for me to really see her face to make sure it was the right person."

Gratz normally communicates with customers using paper and a pen, Jeanette Gratz told the N&O. But her vision loss means she doesn't always see people next to her, or in her periphery.
http://www.bradenton.com/news/nation-world/national/article209725429.html

My daughter had a co worker at a pharmacy, who had been almost totally deaf since birth, but had had surgery and good hearing aids, but still had that thick sounding speech that deaf people have when they learn to speak when they are deaf. She was a dispensary assistant and one customer complained loudly to the pharmacist that she did not want a retard dispensing her prescriptions. Some people are just stupid and some people are stupid and mean.

Liberty has a perseverance and determined drive I wish I had.
To go out everyday into what the world has become to do her part is inspiring.

This customer needs to go back and beg forgiveness.
Only that way can the assailant potentially become a human being.
Liberty needs hugs and copious amounts of milkshakes and pizza.
Gonna send something to her via the station I think.
Need to research a couple things...
:bye:

Liberty has a perseverance and determined drive I wish I had.
To go out everyday into what the world has become to do her part is inspiring.

This customer needs to go back and beg forgiveness.
Only that way can the assailant potentially become a human being.
Liberty needs hugs and copious amounts of milkshakes and pizza.
Gonna send something to her via the station I think.
Need to research a couple things...
:bye:

I know, right. That is one strong woman. I'm gonna have to stop complaining about the menopause.

Too bad she didn't smack the bitch back! It was more than warranted in this situation, Its amazing the shit people think they can get away with, though as its been said the shit apple don't fall far from the shit tree. I think parenting has everything to do with this.

I remember my 1st time in Boston on the subway, I was a bit confused and in a car with another gentleman who i politely asked for directions. I had to ask a couple times to get absolutely no response, thinking I was being shrugged off I replied "or not..." and just glared. It was a few minutes later the man acknowledged me and it became apparent he was deaf! He did his best to try and assist me all the while I kind of felt like a dick, though I didn't really do much, and certainly would have never laid my hands on him.

It looks like there is a go fund me account for medical expenses for she and her brother:
[doublepost=1524770014,1524769900][/doublepost]I can’t get the link to “stick”

Back