• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Morbid

Rooster Illusion
Staff member
PERU
– A 41-year-old man from Canada who traveled to Peru to study hallucinogenic medicine was lynched by a mob of villagers after he allegedly killed a local shaman.

Sebastian Woodroffe went to Peru in hopes of getting an apprenticeship with a plant healer from the Shipibo tribe in hopes of helping him treat addicts with hallucinogenic medicine.

On an Indiegogo page he set up to help finance his trip, Woodroffe wrote:

“The plant medicine I have the opportunity of learning is far deeper than ingesting a plant and being healed. It is not about getting ‘high’ either. It is true some of the plants I will be learning about do have a perception-altering effect, but these are a few plants out of thousands I will be working with.”

So how did Woodroffe start his trip with such good intentions and end up with a “I went to the Amazon rain forest and all I got was this lynching by a mob” t-shirt?

Well, the details aren’t quite clear, but current reports say that Woodroffe was killed after being accused of shooting an 81-year-old Olivia Arevalo to death. Arevalo is an indigenous healer who Woodroffe had reportedly gone to Peru to learn from.

She was shot twice and died on Thursday near her home in the village of Victoria Gracia. Some of the villagers accused Woodroffe of killing her and doled out some village justice that was captured on a cell phone camera.

In the video, a bloodied Woodroffe can be seen crying and begging for his life as two men put a rope around his neck and drag him along the ground until he goes limp. You can watch the video here.

It wasn’t until the video was posted online that officials got involved and went to the village to investigate. Once there they found Woodroffe’s body buried in a shallow grave.

Ronald Suárez, president of the Shipibo Konibo council, said Woodroffe’s death was caused by two men who had “acted on the spur of the moment and resorted to traditional justice.” He added that his people have little confidence in police as “crimes against us go unpunished.”

However, police are investigating a theory that the murder was the result of a local gang leader looking to collect money from Arévalo’s son.

Olivia Arevalo

This article was written by Morbid for The Dreamin Demon - the Internet's self-appointed buzzkill.

Continue reading...

he did it, he'd been going down there for the last couple of years probably in a snit because she told him who knows what. She was responsible for basically helping support the whole village with her get away spiritual retreat for westerners which turned into a whole local enterprise so I highly doubt anyone would have been stupid enough to murder her because of a supposed debt her son owed

I was right, he'd bought a gun earlier the month tha matched one that killed the elderly lady, this was a plan
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...dian-man-bought-gun-that-matches-weapon-used/
The gun that killed a plant healer in Peru matches one purchased by a Canadian man who was slain in the Amazon rainforest earlier this month, local authorities said this week.
Peru’s justice ministry said on Thursday that Sebastian Woodroffe, 41, purchased the gun on April 3 – a few weeks before Olivia Arevalo Lomas, an octogenarian from the Shipibo-Konibo tribe of northeastern Peru, was killed.
Peruvian authorities have said the Vancouver Island man was dragged by the neck to his death shortly after he was accused of killing Ms. Arevalo Lomas.

Two people have been arrested in connection with his death.
The suspects were identified in a cellphone video showing the moment Mr. Woodroffe was killed last week, prosecutors have said.

Officials have also said forensic experts were studying Mr. Woodroffe’s body to determine whether he had any involvement in Ms. Arevalo Lomas’s death.
Mr. Woodroffe posted online ahead of his trip to Peru, saying he hoped that an apprenticeship with a plant healer would help his goal of changing careers to become an addiction counsellor using hallucinogenic medicine.
Global Affairs Canada has confirmed that a Canadian killed in Peru was linked to the alleged assassination of Ms. Arevalo Lomas, and has said it’s providing consular assistance to the Canadian’s family.
The government also extended its condolences following Ms. Arevalo Lomas’s death.
Peru’s ombudsman has condemned the death of the Indigenous elder in a series of tweets, describing Ms. Arevalo Lomas as a champion of her people’s cultural rights.

The ombudsman says increased illegal activity is putting Indigenous people’s lives at risk.

The whole thing stinks. It sounds like local landowners might have a motive to get rid of these indigenous community leaders and — oh look— here’s a naive foreigner we can pin it on.

The whole thing stinks. It sounds like local landowners might have a motive to get rid of these indigenous community leaders and — oh look— here’s a naive foreigner we can pin it on.
ink maybe he was getting paid by a Canadian corp that was trying to hedge in there [as they have had their fingers attempting to get into various places down there] the epidemic of in particular elder and all activists within communities are targeted and most get murdered with at best a half line in the news. Poor guy my ass

he got the gun from a policeman so who knows who paid him probably or claimed they were going to as he wouldn't even have to worry about being charged
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...as-lynched-after-killing-shaman-idUSKBN1I42FM

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/61759...bought-gun-killed-peru-shaman-olivia-arevalo/

The article refers to him harassing her for some time and demanding money. Maybe she reneged on a deal with him. Maybe she promised some super secret herb.
Just because she was a shaman and activist doesn't preclude her from being a con artist. All these spiritual poseur tourists looking for a high are probably easy targets for all kinds of people in that region.

We'll probably never know what really happened. Except that he was definitely a fool. Harsh way to go.

Last edited:
there is a pathology in individuals like this guy: they want power and to have a name and claim that isn't theirs. They aren't truth or spiritual seekers though some might have started out that way. I think the issue could lie in many different spots but the basics easily could have been something as petty as he thought [and rightfully so as he had to no right to them nor would be able to understand them] that she was holding back knowledge and more importantly any added titles he wanted to go home and claim. He planned on trying to present himself as a "shaman" and bringer of light to people and especially dealing with the more malleable of individuals like addicts, who will go and discard and transfer one addiction for another including mindless following of a so called leader. It could have been as simple as his twisted ego or something more nefarious but any rate it is all on him. He got the only justice he could have received and she got the only vindication she would have gotten. The "authorities" would have done nothing but at best deported him. Or, as they tried flip it all on her or the mysterious never to be found "they". The worthless pos stole the life and any further knowledge of and for her people of an elder that helped her tribe in multiple ways. Also of these herbs, plants and practices really can help people but it is constantly abused by thrill seekers or those trying to turn themselves into demigods [nor does it help the ones severely warped inside as it shows them themselves] I have no sympathy for him at all if he didn't want to get lynched or had something bad happen to him he shouldn't have murdered an elder that literally was supporting her whole tribe bottom line .

Last edited:
Somewhere in Jonathan Ott's Pharmacotheon, he quotes Maria Sabina, lamenting that after Western tourists had started turning up in increasing numbers to her village and essentially pestering her for a quick fix, the spirits of the mushroom -- los niños, the children, "the dear sweet little ones" -- began to lose their power and virtue, would no longer speak clearly to her, and eventually vanished. Communication breakdown. A lifetime of daily connection with magic was ended. The visions were gone. She was bereft.

http://www.rigorousintuition.ca/board2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40958&p=656503&hilit=mushroom#p656503

Maria Sabina, lamenting that after Western tourists had started turning up in increasing numbers to her village and essentially pestering her for a quick fix, the spirits of the mushroom -- los niños, the children, "the dear sweet little ones" -- began to lose their power and virtue, would no longer speak clearly to her, and eventually vanished. Communication breakdown. A lifetime of daily connection with magic was ended. The visions were gone.
But why did the visions leave? Just because tourists were pestering her? Or because she gave in and sold them the quick fix? Human weakness on all sides?

Back