• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Abroad

Veteran Member
A payroll boss who was fatally stabbed by her deputy had "bully" scrawled on her forehead, a court heard.

Jillian Howell, 46, was found with multiple stab wounds at her home in Sandgate Road, Brighton, in October.

David Browning, 51, of Willow Drive, Seaford, admits killing Ms Howell, his boss at the University of Brighton, but denies murder.

Mr Browning had developed an intense attachment to her, prosecutors have told Hove Crown Court.

He had expressed some unhappiness with Ms Howell's management and his workload in the payroll department, the jury heard.

However, prosecutor Alan Gardener said that since June 2017 they had been seeing each other socially outside work.

Ms Howell - who volunteered with the Samaritans - had been trying to help the defendant deal with depression after the death of his father.

On the night she died they drank wine and ate curry, but the jury was told that at some point Mr Browning pulled a knife out and stabbed her.

In total Ms Howell was stabbed 15 times - eight times in the neck, six in the chest and once in the back.

Early the next morning Mr Browning appeared outside a Brighton police station, where he told officers he had a shotgun and had tried to kill himself.

The married father-of-two denies murder but admits manslaughter by diminished responsibility and possession of a knife in a public place.

He claims he stabbed Ms Howell after she urged him to go to hospital and he feared she was trying to get him sectioned.

Jurors were told he sat in the living room for two hours afterwards and posted a picture on his Facebook profile which said: "Stand up to bullies ... then kill them."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-43867712

Help her deputy with his depression ... ? With what ... her pussy?
Well to be fair it always cheers me right up!
:bye:

Honestly though, professional help people.
Never try to get invested with someones mental health other than encouraging them to seek help.
And when you do, never do it alone.

Last edited:
He claims he stabbed Ms Howell after she urged him to go to hospital and he feared she was trying to get him sectioned.

Jurors were told he sat in the living room for two hours afterwards and posted a picture on his Facebook profile which said: "Stand up to bullies ... then kill them
."

Not well thought out, as this is not the way to avoid being evaluated.

Honestly though, professional help people.
Never try to get invested with someones mental health other than encouraging them to seek help.
And when you do, never do it alone.

She volunteered with the Samaritans. I fear she might have felt that she knew what she was doing.

And she did encourage him to seek help ....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...bed-boss-death-posting-messages-Facebook.html
4B74B37000000578-0-image-m-100_1524580181858.jpg

[....]
David Browning, 52, launched furious attack on Jill Howell stabbing her 15 times and then scrawling 'bully' across her forehead in marker pen, a jury has heard.
4B74482100000578-0-image-m-105_1524580571227.jpg

Then as she lay dead in the lounge of her own home, Browning posted allegedly an image on his Facebook profile which said: 'Stand Up To Bullies. Then Kill Them'.

The image shows small figure using a spear to stab a larger one in the chest. Underneath in smaller print is says: 'Words are Weapons.'
4B7FFC1600000578-0-image-a-104_1524580387146.jpg

Browning then went to a police station and handed himself in, confessing to officers: 'In a nutshell, I have killed my boss,' the court heard.

Hove Crown Court heard Browning claimed Miss Howell, 46, was a bully who had turned his working life into a nightmare.

Browning, who is married with two grown-up children, had worked at the payroll department in University of Brighton for almost 30 years.

But in 2015 Jill Howell was employed as his manager and the pair had to work closely together.

In the months leading up to the killing, Miss Howell, who also worked as a volunteer for the Samaritans, had been trying to help her colleague as he was suffering from stress and anxiety following the death of his father.

They had met for drinks and Browning had become obsessed with her, showering her with gifts and flowers, the court hearrd.
[....]
The court heard Browning had intended to kill himself afterwards using a shotgun he had bought legally weeks earlier and had sent a number of suicide letters to friends and family earlier that day.

In the notes he said Miss Howell was a 'bully' who turned his working life upside down.

In a letter to his wife and two children he said going to work each day was like 'walking into a war zone' and claimed he had been endured 'daily suffering and stress from my workmate Jill.'

In a letter to his mother he said: 'I was just overcome with negatives and felt I had no way out. I have rid the place of a really horrible person who is the cause of all this.'

In another letter to colleagues he branded Miss Howell 'destructive' and told them: 'I'm sorry you have to go through this but can no longer tolerate the belittling of you all by Jill.
[....]
However at 4.30am he called the Samaritans from Miss Howell's house and confessed to the killing, prosecutors say.

He told the volunteer he had' 'done something really, really bad' and planned to shoot himself.
[....]
'He said that the person was his boss and she had been bullying him.

'He said he had gone to talk to her and he was about to leave and she said something and he had lost it.'

The jury were played a recording of 999 call during which Browning told the call handler: 'I need to be sectioned on Mental Health Act. I've got shotgun in my hand.

'It's not loaded and it's covered. No ammunition in it. I'll be sectioned under the Mental Health. I tried to commit suicide.'
[....]
In the body-worn footage recorded at the time he told officers the knife used in the killing was in his top pocket.

He told officers: 'In a nutshell I've killed my boss. My intention was to kill myself, to shoot myself but I couldn't do it.'

At 6.20am Browning was arrested on suspicion of murder.

He admits manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility but denies murder. His trial continues.

Should’ve just killed yourself first. Sounds like she tried to help him— no good deed goes unpunished.

I’m fairly confident that her “bullying” consisted of meeting reasonable expectations.

I’m fairly confident that her “bullying” consisted of meeting reasonable expectations.

I thought it could also mean he was crushing on her. I know one thing though. I'm staying far, far away from this Samaritan b/s. Wonder how many more of their volunteers have wound up dead.

I read about this elsewhere and the indication was they had been lovers at one point also.
Trying to recall where I saw it.

I thought it could also mean he was crushing on her. I know one thing though. I'm staying far, far away from this Samaritan b/s. Wonder how many more of their volunteers have wound up dead.

Most of them don't meet the people they help. It is a telephone line where you can always find a virtual shoulder and a willing ear, and I know people who owe their lives to it.
[doublepost=1524861682,1524857826][/doublepost]
I read about this elsewhere and the indication was they had been lovers at one point also.
Trying to recall where I saw it.

That would be someone supposing in the original post that was put up on Monday. Nothing in any news site has suggested anything like that.

Another man who thought he was entitled to a woman. I would bet that the only bullying she did was to decline a sexual relationship with him.

A man who stabbed his boss to death and wrote "bully" on her forehead has been jailed for life and ordered to serve at least 28 years.

David Browning, 52, of Seaford, was found guilty of murder at Hove Crown Court on Wednesday.

He stabbed Jillian Howell in the chest, neck and abdomen, leaving her with 15 stab and slash wounds in October.

Browning had formed an intense attachment to the 46-year-old Brighton university payroll boss, jurors heard.

The court was told he had gone to her house for dinner and reacted with anger when she rejected him.

Ms Laing said Browning had developed a crush on the woman that turned into an obsession.

She told him: "I am quite satisfied that what led to you killing her was a very ordinary cocktail of human emotions, desire, jealously, frustration and anger.

"Jillian did more than most people would have done to support you as a concerned colleague and friend but it is plain you wanted to be more important or special to her than that.

"I have watched you closely during this trial and you have shown no emotion and little remorse other than for your own situation."

After the hearing, Alison Pratt, director of Brighton and Hove Samaritans, said: "We know that it will continue to be very difficult for Jill's family and friends, and our thoughts are with them."

Describing Ms Howell as a dedicated volunteer, she said she supported people in distress and played a vital role in recruiting and training.

"We will remember her as a warm, compassionate and committed member of the team," she said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-43989357

'I need to be sectioned on Mental Health Act. I've got shotgun in my hand.

'It's not loaded and it's covered. No ammunition in it. I'll be sectioned under the Mental Health. I tried to commit suicide.'

How can you convincingly say you're trying to committ suicide if your shotgun is not loaded?

Back