• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
The little guy must have felt like a foundling.

He was alone. He was confused. He’d been taken from his birth mother in late February after she kicked at him every time he tried to nurse.

Then, a most wonderful love story began unfolding. A Thoroughbred mare, Maizelle, who had lost her foal at birth two days previously was shown to the little guy’s stall at Machmer Hall Farm near Paris.

To the amazement of many, the two bonded instantly.

“She walked in and she was like, ‘Oh, you found him. Great,’” said Carrie Brogden, recounting how the substitute mother appeared to think the new foal was her own — a baby she never really saw because it died during its birth.

Her foal had died after Maizelle’s blood pressure dropped during foaling. Deprived of oxygen, the foal was undergoing seizures and not breathing when it emerged.

She’d been looking for her foal since then, nickering and wondering where it went. When she was shown the new baby she fell instantly in love.

So did the baby, who wears his love on his forehead for all to see. His white facial marking looks nearly like a heart with a bite taken out of the upper left corner: perhaps a reminder of the bite his birth mother took out of his own heart when she rejected him.

Mother and adopted son, who are both of the same chestnut (reddish) color, have been doing great since they were paired. The colt’s real mother is also doing fine but without a foal by her side — which seems to be the way she wants it.

“In 17 years she’s the only mare we’ve dealt with that has flat out rejected her foal to where we had to remove the foal for its safety,” said Brogden.
http://www.kentucky.com/news/local/counties/fayette-county/article209423564.html
180410Foalmg003

Meh. Stupid horses.
[doublepost=1524352822,1524340262][/doublepost]<3<3<3<3<3

Very few are stupid ...its humans that are stupid
But in this case thank gosh someone was thinking ..its not common that a mare will reject her foal They do it yes ..most big horse farms have a nurse made or goats ready at hand during foaling season

Very few are stupid ...its humans that are stupid
But in this case thank gosh someone was thinking ..its not common that a mare will reject her foal They do it yes ..most big horse farms have a nurse made or goats ready at hand during foaling season
This is me. I was being sarcastic.

I absolutely do not think there is a single stupid horse on this planet.

I actually took a rescue Colt in that was 3 weeks old. I first put him with my good will ambassador, my sweet pony/mini horse Flash. Mixing the baby a goat milk and foal pellet diet was working out but her was trying to nurse on the pony. I noticed my 17 year old mare watching the baby from another pasture. She couldn't take her eyes off of the Colt. Thinking what's better than one baby sitter is two baby sitters, I moved the mare in.
I noticed she was allowing him to nurse. After about a week, I noticed him licking his lips when done. I went and checked the mare, sure enough, she was full of milk. My old sweet girl who hadn't had a baby in 10 years, made milk for her adopted son.

<3<3<3

Back