• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://www.fox5ny.com/news/nyc-considers-making-walking-and-smoking-illegal
If you don't smoke and you find yourself walking behind someone who does, it can be unpleasant. Now a New York City Councilman wants to do something about it.

"My bill is very simple, no smoking and walking on New York City Sidewalks," said Queens Councilman Peter Koo (Dist. 20).

His bill would make it a misdemeanor to walk while smoking, likely punishable by a fine of $50.

Smokers, already banned from lighting up in public parks among many other places in the city, weren't thrilled at the idea.

"I'm not standing in one spot, it's not gonna happen," said Ian, a smoker in Flushing. "As I'm walking, it's outside, I'm not blowing it in anyone's faces."

Other smokers questioned how such a law would be enforced and said it would divert much-needed police resources.

Smoking while standing in one spot would still be allowed.
[....]
"This bill is not against smoking just don't do both together," Koo said.

He plans to introduce the bill as soon as Wednesday.

I'd rather they be walking, even if I am behind them, at least with walking the smoke is not gathering up in one place to suffocate you. And besides that, I would really have a choice as to whther or not I walk behind them or cross the street, or just move over out of the stream of smoke. If I continued to walk in the smoke, when I don't like it, then I'm the one who needs protection, cause I"m too stuoid to move over.

I smoke ... but I don't smoke and walk. I don't understand the people that do. Or the people that ride bikes and smoke. It just seems like a no to me ... like smoking should be done sitting down someplace. Like its a leisurely thing.

Smokers I do not envy.
Must be one hellish addiction.

Go after tobacco companies to get all the bad shit out of cigs they have added over the decades.

Back