• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Jurors sat in disbelief Wednesday, as prosecutors told them the man on trial before them shot and killed a young mother during a Facebook live broadcast for no apparent reason.

"In a matter of seconds, she became the victim of a senseless murder, said Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Katie Hawkins. "Most people use social media for good things, but this defendant's perversion of social media ruins what it is about."

Anthony Gelia, 20, is charged with one count each of open murder, first-degree home invasion and felony firearms in the death of 26-year-old Brittany Southwell. His trial began March 21, with opening statements before Circuit Judge John McBain.

Police allege Gelia kicked in the door of a house on election night, Nov. 8, 2016, and fired several shots inside the home, one of which struck and killed Southwell.

"I wish I could tell you she did not suffer, but that was not the case," Hawkins said. "She was shot in both her lungs and succumbed to asphyxiation. We can't tell you if she heard her child crying or her fiance asking if she's OK or the officer who told her she might not make it and needed to tell them if she knew who shot her.'

Prosecutors recently won a motion hearing allowing the jury to see the 25-minute Facebook Live recording that allegedly shows Gelia's actions up to and including the shooting.

Gelia's attorney, Andrew Kirkpatrick told the jury that throughout the trial he will not deny much of what Gelia is accused of.

"By the end of this trial, I will ask you to find him guilty, but I ask you to find him guilty of the appropriate charge," Kirkpatrick said. "Everything he did that night was an act of human stupidity."

Jurors heard from several witnesses Wednesday who were in the home during the shooting, as well as police officers who responded to the scene. Southwell's fiance, Tyler McCravey, testified he was at her side when Gelia entered the home and started shooting.

McCravey then described how Geila, whom he had never met before, pointed a gun at him and fired several times.

The jury then heard a recording of McCravey's frantic 911 call after the shooting stopped. When he made the call, McCravey did not realize yet that Southwell was struck by one of the bullets, he said.

Jurors wept as they heard McCravey on the recording begging for Southwell not to leave him as she struggled to breathe.

Jackson Police Officer Mike Galbreath, one of the first officers on the scene, said it took much effort to pull McCravey away from Southwell so rescue crews could try and assist her.

"She was not doing well," Galbreath said. "I tried to get some words out of her, to see if she knew who shot her, but was unsuccessful."

Galbreath collected evidence from the scene and took photos which were shown to the jury.

Another witness, a 17-year-old girl, testified she was a friend of Gelia and watched the 25-minute Facebook Live video in which prosecutors allege he killed Southwell.

"I went to talk to my mom after I saw it," she said. "I didn't know what to do. We called the cops and I asked myself, 'What did I just watch?'"

Jurors are expected to see the Facebook Live video, which was retrieved from Gelia's phone, during the trial, which resumes on Thursday, March 22.
http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/i...could_tell_you_she_di.html#incart_river_index
[doublepost=1521749856,1521749820][/doublepost]
-5310f16201f4eff5.JPG

Facebook Live video authorities say captures the events leading up to, and partially including, the shooting death of a young Jackson mother was recently recovered and is being allowed at trial.

During a last-minute court hearing on Monday, March 19, Circuit Judge John McBain agreed to allow the 25-minute recording recently discovered by prosecutors who say it was made by Anthony Gelia, who is on trial for the murder of 26-year-old Brittany Southwell.

Gelia, 20, is charged with one count each of open murder, first-degree home invasion and felony firearms. The trial was scheduled to begin Monday but, due to the court hearing, will now begin Tuesday.

Police allege Gelia kicked in the door of a house in the 400 block of Jefferson Street on election night, Nov. 8, 2016, and fired several shots inside the home, one of which struck and killed Southwell.

In the recording, presented during Monday's court hearing, a man authorities identify as Gelia is seen sitting in a car with a woman Gelia calls his girlfriend, drinking heavily and laughing with a gun in his hand while making numerous threatening statements.

As the recording progresses, Gelia becomes more aggressive, threatening to "pop someone."

The last minute of the recording shows Gelia knocking on the door of Southwell's home before the camera jumps around and goes black, leaving just audio of someone kicking in the door and firing multiple gunshots.

Prosecutors allege Gelia's voice can be heard screaming, "What's up, who's crazy?" and, "See you in prison," while a panicked woman's voice is heard asking if he just shot someone.

The video was streamed as it occurred on the Facebook Live platform, authorities said.

Southwell died from a single gunshot wound shortly after being taken to Henry Ford Allegiance Health for treatment. She was holding her infant child when she was shot, witnesses said.

Gelia's attorney, Andrew Kirkpatrick, attempted to block the recording, at least in part, from being seen during the trial, calling it "extremely prejudicial."

"Jurors will not be able to get past many of the statements he made in the video that have nothing to do with the crime he is on trial for," Kirkpatrick said.

Prosecutors disagreed, arguing the recording in its entirety establishes Gelia's state of mind, showing he was aware of the consequences of his actions.

"We cannot get better evidence in this case than what we just saw," said Jackson County Chief Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Kati Rezmierski. "He worked himself into a murderous frenzy and owned what he was going to do."

Police allege Gelia received numerous threats from his brother through Facebook and text messages several days before kicking in the door of Southwell's home, where his brother was, and opening fire, according to testimony made at his preliminary examination before District Court Judge Michael Klaeren.

Gelia was arrested the same night after a Michigan State Police trooper and a Columbia Township police officer stopped him while he was driving a white SUV that matched a description of a vehicle seen leaving the scene.

During the stop, two women, one identified by Gelia as his girlfriend and the other as his brother's ex-girlfriend, jumped out of the SUV and said the driver, Gelia, was suicidal and had a gun to his head, police said.

After a brief standoff, Gelia was taken into custody while the trooper removed a loaded handgun from the vehicle, police said.
LINK

"By the end of this trial, I will ask you to find him guilty, but I ask you to find him guilty of the appropriate charge," Kirkpatrick said. "Everything he did that night was an act of human stupidity."

and that is exactly why he is a danger to society and should be thrown away like the trash he is. Why did this even go to trial? Oh right...he left too much evidence for the prosecutor to offer him a deal. No deal for you, scumbag. and I hope they fry your ugly ass

Jan 23, 2020
A prison sentence of life without the possibility of parole is tough, too tough if you ask convicted murderer Anthony Gelia.

He will have to make do, though, as the Michigan Court of Appeals affirmed his conviction and sentence Tuesday, Jan. 21, keeping him in prison for the rest of his life.

Gelia, 22, was convicted in 2018 of one count each of first-degree felony murder, first-degree home invasion and felony firearms for the shooting death of 26-year-old Brittany Southwell.
Jurors concluded Gelia, then 19, kicked in the door of a house in the 400 block of Jefferson Street in Jackson on election night, Nov. 8, 2016, and fired several shots inside the home, one of which struck and killed Southwell.

Southwell died from a single gunshot wound shortly after being taken to Henry Ford Allegiance Health. She was holding her infant child when she was shot, witnesses said.

Jurors watched a Facebook Live video recorded by Gelia which showed him making threatening remarks about police, passing motorists and people watching the stream, challenging them to come fight him all while he waved a handgun in front of the screen.

Near the end of the video, it showed Gelia kick in the door of the house and enter. Jurors couldn’t see what happened next, as the recording was moving quickly, but they could hear several gunshots and screams along with Gelia’s voice.
Gelia argues the life sentence he was given on his felony murder conviction constitutes cruel and unusual punishment, arguing jurors shouldn’t have been shown the Facebook Live recording he made of the shooting or listened to the 911 call made by the victim’s boyfriend.

Throughout the trial, Gelia’s attorney argued a charge of involuntary manslaughter was more appropriate in Gelia’s case rather than the felony murder charge he was convicted on.
In his appeal, Gelia submitted an affidavit from a psychiatrist stating it’s possible for a person his age, diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder and Oppositional Defiant Disorder, to become temporarily insane after consuming drugs and alcohol.

The affidavit bared little weight as it was only a general analysis and that the psychiatrist did not personally evaluate Gelia.
1585586998800.png

'I deserve to do this time,' man sentenced to life for killing woman on Facebook Live says

Bring back the electric chair.

Fry the shit out of that pasty-faced doughboy while he pisses himself & cries like an infant in front of his trailer-trash family.
Post automatically merged:

His “attention deficit disorder” is responsible for this.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Back