• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A Wake County man charged with letting his mother die on the floor of their home while he ignored her calls for help said he had not given her prescription medicines for six days before he reported her death, new information from the sheriff's office shows.

The information also shows that the son, Eric Paul Brunner, had been prescribed "assorted psyc[h] meds" and two drugs to control his blood sugar.

Investigators arrested Eric Paul Brunner, 39, on March 13 on charges of second-degree murder and elder abuse. The next day, they applied for a search warrant to seize medicines from the house.

Cynthia Brunner, 74, was found dead at the bottom of a set of stairs on Feb. 19 after Eric Brunner called 911. Wake County EMS medics and sheriff's deputies were sent to the house at 6801 Marksman Way near Cary. The son told investigators that he knew she likely would die if he neglected her, they have said.

In his application for the search warrant, Investigator J.T. Willis said Brunner told authorities "that, though he was his mother's caregiver, he had failed to provide aid to her since Tuesday, Feb. 13, 2018."

In the warrant, returned to the court clerk's office on Tuesday, and in two previous search warrants, investigators have told magistrates that Brunner admitted he "willfully failed to assist" his mother "for some period of time" after she fell.

Eric Brunner, "admitted to investigators that his mother was alive and made attempts to communicate with him for some time after falling," the search warrants have said.

When they obtained an arrest warrant charging Eric Brunner, deputies said the death and the abuse had happened between Feb. 13 and 19. They said they were awaiting autopsy results from the State Medical Examiner's office.

The warrant returned Tuesday is the first indication of why they listed that period in the charges.

"Mr. Brunner admits to having been in and out of the house, walking past his mother's corpse, for at least 24 hours if not longer," Willis has written.

All the warrant applications have cited Brunner's telling authorities that "he and his mother have had a tenuous relationship."

They also have stated, "He believes that she has as much as $30,000 in the bank that he would have access to after her death," although he had some access to Cynthia Brunner's finances already.

The warrant says that deputies took vials of Lantis and Noavalog, both used for insulin control, and "assorted psyc[h] meds for prescribed to (sic) Eric Brunner."

Eric Brunner is being held without bail at the Wake County Detention Center.

When he had his first court appearance the day after his arrest, the colors of his jail uniform indicated he was being held in protective custody. One of his attorneys asked a judge to order that Brunner continue to receive medical treatment in jail, but she did not give details.
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/crime/article206172889.html

"He believes that she has as much as $30,000 in the bank that he would have access to after her death,"

So he didn't do it so much because he has a mental health problem but because he's greedy, I guess.

If he's crazy being diabetic has nothing to do with it. Neglecting his mother to death (that is if he didn't push her down the stairs) is all on him.

Diabetes will not make you a heartless murdering asshole.
That comes from being a heartless murdering asshole.

Shatter his knees and elbows just because.

Makes you realize you’ve got to carefully consider which one of your kids will care for you later. I already know which child I’m NOT picking :p

Maybe a diabetic on psych meds wasn't the best care taker for his mother in the first place?!
Sounds like they both needed a home health aid or at least someone checking that he was taking his meds or hadn't slipped into a diabetic coma!

August 21, 2019
For the last year, Eric Brunner has been confined to the Wake County jail, charged with murder and elder abuse in the death of his 74-year-old mother.

He called 911 in February 2018, and when sheriff’s deputies arrived at the house outside Cary, they found Cynthia Brunner dead on the floor, where they estimated she had fallen and lain without help for more than a day.

They asked Brunner if he was responsible for his mother’s care, according to court files, and he paused and replied that he thought so. When deputies searched the house, they found mold, black water in the bathtub, a broken window, dirty dishes and newspapers stacked everywhere. A month later, they arrested the 40-year-old son for second-degree murder.

But a motion filed in Wake County this month argues that Brunner could never have killed his mother or even realized her plight. He suffers from autism disorder and “unspecified schizophrenia spectrum,” the motion said, noting that Brunner has been in psychiatric care for 25 years and lived with his mother for all but a few months of his life.

In her motion, attorney Mary Jude Darrow asks for the indictment to be dismissed.

“When Eric’s mother became ill, he was on his own and without guidance,” Darrow wrote. “There was no one to turn to — no guardian, trusted friend, or family member. Eric was left to his own devices when he was absolutely incapable of making life and death decisions. And despite all those facts, he has been sitting in jail for over 16 months.”

In their application for a search warrant in February 2018, deputies said Brunner admitted knowing that his inaction would lead to his mother’s death, and he told them that his mother had approximately $30,000 in a bank account that would come to him after she died.

But in her motion, Darrow noted that Brunner gave the deputies permission to search the house. But they sought a warrant because they were concerned about his mental condition.

Autopsy results showed Brunner’s mother died of diabetic ketoacidosis and contributing heart disease. She had high blood pressure and hardened arteries, the motion said, and her body showed no signs of starvation, dehydration or abuse.

Still, Darrow wrote in her motion, Brunner had long depended on his mother for care — not the other way around.

“Why she failed to make plans for their later years will remain unknown,” the motion said. “However, they were her choices, as was her choice not to seek medical attention when she was ill. Her choices can not be the fault of her son: they were freely made, by an individual with no known mental health or functional disabilities.”

District Attorney Lorrin Freeman said the homicide charges remain pending. “We continue to review the evidence, including information about the defendant’s mental capacity.”

Last edited:
Or become hypoglycemic because he wasn't eating right. Very low blood sugar can apparently make somebody irrational.

--Al
My sugars drop into the 40s as low as upper 30s I cannot make sentences I forgot how to drive a standard even though I have known since my teens and become extremely and sleepy sleepy sleepy.. nothing to do with killing people seriously

Bullshit .. he has no help.. Medicare and Medicaid provide all that and someone should have notified APS before it ever got to that point... Seriously

Last edited:
Makes you realize you’ve got to carefully consider which one of your kids will care for you later. I already know which child I’m NOT picking :p

Since my dad passed my mom has already put stuff aside my brother doesn't know about n has told me I am going to be the one to make decisions n take care of her, because she knows I'm not an a****** and I will make sure her 3 grandkids are taken care of ... Sad in some ways but also cracks me up because I was always the bad one growing up

ERIC P BRUNNER

Inmate Status:
INACTIVE​

Total Incarceration Term:
1 YEAR 11 MONTHS​

Conviction Date:
03/09/2020​
Projected Release Date:
03/09/2020​
Primary Crime:
DOMESTIC NEGLECT DISABLE/ELDER (PRINCIPAL)​

Minimum Term: