• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

SoUncool

With my all by myself...
2qcr11v.gif

Mikelle Biggs (with age progression)

Mesa police Detective Jerry Gissel was sitting in church when his beeper went off.

It was the first Sunday in January, two days after New Year's Day 1999, and he had planned to spend the rest of the day watching football at a family gathering.

He hurried outside to call back his partner, Detective Butch Gates.

An 11-year-old girl had been missing all night.

The night before Gissel got the call in church, Darien Biggs received a frantic page from his wife, Tracy. It was 6 p.m., and their daughter Mikelle was missing.

Mikelle had heard the ice-cream truck coming and ran to meet it. Her sister Kimber went inside to get a jacket. Tracy sent Kimber back to tell Mikelle to come inside. When Kimber went back outside, her sister was gone. Kimber's purple-and-pink bicycle was still sitting by the curb. They found two quarters close by.

For Darien, a decadelong nightmare had begun. That nightmare was compounded by the fact that he would not be treated as the grieving father of a missing child but as a suspect.

His most intimate failings as a husband would be splashed across the pages of the newspaper.

And his life would become forever intertwined with Gissel's.

More here: http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/2009/01/02/20090102biggs0102.html

and here: http://www.findmissingkids.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=335
Investigators have released sketches of two possible suspects in Mikelle's disappearance. Both images are posted below this case summary. The sketches are not being widely publicized since authorities are not certain if the men are connected to her case.

mjn4g4.gif

Suspects' Sketches

Mikelle's father believes he knows who was reponsible for his daughter's apparent abduction. The man, who has not been identified, is currently incarcerated in an Arizona prison and denies any involvement in the case. On the fifth anniversary of Mikelle's disappearance, her family held a funeral for her with an empty casket. Her family now lives in Gilbert, Arizona. They believe Mikelle was murdered shortly after her disappearance. No charges have been filed against anyone in her disappearance.

Mikelle is described an intelligent, artistic, sociable person and an honor student. She played the clarinet and was a member of her school's student council at the time of her disappearance. She wanted to become an animator when she grew up. Her favorite color is purple and she has two younger sisters and a younger brother. There are few leads in Mikelle's disappearance and her case remains unsolved.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/133466 (Story where I jacked the pics below.)

289z8sx.jpg

Darien and Tracy Biggs

9g94cj.jpg

Mikelle Biggs

I watched that too UC & I'm pretty convinced that Dee Blalock had something to do with it. The letter that Blalock sent in response to the father's letter gave me the impression that he was ready to confess.

Every single one of these cases is a tragedy. I feel for the families. The not knowing and having real closure is very difficult.

I had that 20/20 dvr'd and just watched it. i was amazed at the plethora of SO's in the neighborhood! damn, there are only 2 ROS in our entire TOWN... the odds seemed to be stacked against her.

i was amazed at the plethora of SO's in the neighborhood! damn, there are only 2 ROS in our entire TOWN... the odds seemed to be stacked against her.

It only takes one......... :dong:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...-relating-girl-missing-1999-article-1.3885813
A dollar bill found in Wisconsin displays a tip about a missing 11-year-old Arizona girl who vanished more than 19 years ago.

The message found on the bill read: "My name is Mikel (sic) Biggs kidnapped From Mesa AZ I'm Alive," according to the Arizona Republic.
[....]
The mysterious 2009 dollar bill was given to Wisconsin police officers in the city of Neenah.

“There was a little spring of hope for a second, and then reality set in,” Neenah Police Investigator Adam Streubel told the Republic. “There is nothing you can do with it, which is rather frustrating.”

Streubel doubts that the message is real, pointing out that Mikelle's first name was misspelled. He told the Republic that the whole thing could be a tasteless joke. He said “there's no way to trace it.”

Mesa Detective Steve Berry told the Daily News that the department learned of the dollar on Monday.
biggs21n-1-web.jpg

[....]
Streubel said Neenah investigators were not really familiar with the high-profile case. “None of us were really aware of the kidnapping,”he told the Republic. “We had to do some research.”

Kimber Biggs was the last person to see her sister. Mikelle's disappearance launched the biggest investigation in the history of the Mesa Police Department, according to the Republic.

Back