• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
https://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/a...m_source=CMS Sharing Button&utm_medium=social
[....]
Police in the city of Garden Grove near Los Angeles say a woman reported Thursday night that the white Honda van was emitting a very foul odor.

Police found the bodies of a man, a woman, a girl and a boy. None had obvious trauma.

The woman who made the report told police she had seen the van parked in the CVS store lot for several days and thought its occupants were a homeless family.

this is sad, in many places now there are alot of homeless not because of drugs or mental illness but because of lack of anywhere to stay & the cost of housing and getting into housing. Prime areas are the worst like OC,LA,SC,SF,SJ etc where everyone has one foot in the street from paycheck to paycheck versus the rising costs of rent and availability. I rented out a literal no heat facilities shack on a friends property for close to 300 a month just to have a safe place to stay & mattress on the floor which was real fun trying to hold down a couple of full time plus jobs. I was fortunate as I could use the house facilities when needed and that was a good 16 plus years ago now is much worse.

https://nypost.com/2018/03/17/homel...w&utm_source=NYPTwitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow
A homeless family was doing the best the can on the mean streets of California were found dead after reports of a foul odor. The had donned their jammies, covered the windows and gone to sleep. The cause of death appears to be carbon monoxide poisoning.
Two babies were victims of this tragedy. The family had become victims of the soaring rental costs and had become homeless. Relatives of the family knew of the situation.
“They were in pajamas and sleeping gear and it looks like they were all asleep inside the van,”

The father was later identified as Phunyouphone Kanyavong, 41, of Garden Grove. The woman was identified as Emma Ha and their two children were 2-year-old Nikki and 8-month-old Mone, according to a GoFundMe page.
https://www.google.com/amp/abc7.com...ound-dead-in-minivan-in-garden-grove/3223331/

Last edited:
Poor babies.

Innocents of their parents’ decision.
their parents had no other alternative decision to make and they had made the safest one staying in a predominately Asian descended from refugee area but still there are the gangs in a safe spot, they were Laotian which would have put them more in peril on the streets proper, the facilities have been overfilled years ago and will usually only take women with children with months wait to get in
[doublepost=1521308985,1521308838][/doublepost]
Two babies were victims of this tragedy. The family had become victims of the soaring rental costs and had become homeless. Relatives of the family knew of the situation.
https://www.google.com/amp/abc7.com...ound-dead-in-minivan-in-garden-grove/3223331/
the whole family was victims of this tragedy

Was there no family in the area they could have shacked up with?

Wonder what the dudes employment history/skillset was. Prob shoulda have had those 2 kids until he established some steady income.

Housing costs on the west coast are stupid high especially in some places in California.
The 1600 we pay here in Wa for a 3bdr will get you a 1bdr studio in places like San Diego and LA.
My husband is making decent money and we still had trouble finding a place closer to his job in Redmond cos a lot of people who live there work for Microsoft so they can spend $2300 a month for rent.
My friends in the Cap Hill area of Seattle were paying like $1700 for a one bedroom and they both worked.
I really am not surprised by this at all.

We don't know what their circumstances were. I would struggle to put a family of four up where I live.
The winter weather is not bad this time of year in that city. Spring has arrived in coastal Calif. I'm. 300 miles north of them on the coast and the weather may be damp but not hard to keep warm. I have no heaters in my 140 yr old farm house with no insulation.
Relatives "who knew" of their troubles could have let them sleep on the floor at night and kicked them out during the day. There is a load of family indifference or poor decisions here.
There is simply no reason for parents and babies to die in a So. Cal. Mediterranean climate under these circumstances.
Many adults failed those little offspring.

Last edited:
The family could have at least taken in the kids. You have pride in the 'we going to fix this together' - they weren't neglected... average american is one paycheck away from homeless

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...d2b009466bc_story.html?utm_term=.72a8997daf02
... [Phunyouphone Kanyavong] found dead with others believed to be his girlfriend and their two children ... had a lengthy rap sheet.

... Phunyouphone Kanyavong was sentenced in 1993 to more than a decade for conspiracy to murder and a weapon enhancement. ....

... Kanyavong was on probation for a weapon conviction when he and the others were found in their pajamas Thursday inside the van ....

.... Court records show Kanyavong also had a misdemeanor child abuse conviction.
A violent criminal history is a good reason for the other family members to limit contact with them.

We don't know what their circumstances were. I would struggle to put a family of four up where I live.
I would too but ..
At least bring the kids inside at night and maybe have the parents park on the driveway or something ..
Sleeping on a floor would have been better ..

I wonder why no family members stepped up to help .. :(

The winter weather is not bad this time of year in that city. Spring has arrived in coastal Calif. I'm. 300 miles north of them on the coast and the weather may be damp but not hard to keep warm. I have no heaters in my 140 yr old farm house with no insulation.

Could be why they didn't somehow find room for them, then? If there had been life-threatening cold to contend with they might have felt obliged to let them sleep in the kitchen, but as it is not difficult to keep warm .....

And of course @Craygor has offered another reason why they might be wary.

I am suspecting carbon-monoxide poisoning, in any case. This is such a sad case.

When I first heard about this I assumed it was a familicide. I hadn’t considered accidental poisoning from running some kind of heating unit in the van to stay warm. But what kind of heating unit can be run without electricity? All I can picture is the little coal hibachi my family sometimes used for cookouts when I was a kid. I’m admittedly not well-versed in portable heating options.

Now that the dad’s rap sheet is coming out and it’s showing he displayed violent behavior in the past, I wonder if familicide should be put back on the table as a theory.

they are Hmong, not condoning his actions or record there but there is a lot of history surrounding the area and boys as well as how the Hmong created one of the worst gangs in that area because they were so victimized by other gangs and how they ended up over here in the first place. his rap sheet in no way would mean anything as far as harm to his family unless other circumstances were present am still thinking carbon monoxide or murder from outside sources and because they didn't outright say murder as they gave his history and everything I would say carbon monoxide.

Could be why they didn't somehow find room for them, then? If there had been life-threatening cold to contend with they might have felt obliged to let them sleep in the kitchen, but as it is not difficult to keep warm .....

And of course @Craygor has offered another reason why they might be wary.

I am suspecting carbon-monoxide poisoning, in any case. This is such a sad case.

They may have been trying to keep cool by running the van's A/C, or may have had a small vehicular refrigerator plugged into the van's battery (via the cig lighter port) and were trying to keep the battery from dying as they slept.
From the latest reports, it appears the COD is indeed CO poisoning, most probably from a leaking exhaust system in the van.

Housing costs on the west coast are stupid high especially in some places in California.
The 1600 we pay here in Wa for a 3bdr will get you a 1bdr studio in places like San Diego and LA.
My husband is making decent money and we still had trouble finding a place closer to his job in Redmond cos a lot of people who live there work for Microsoft so they can spend $2300 a month for rent.
My friends in the Cap Hill area of Seattle were paying like $1700 for a one bedroom and they both worked.
I really am not surprised by this at all.
They were found dead in my town, Long Beach, and that has one of the lowest rent cost (though it's going up and we are trying to get I'm blanking on the term but where they can only raise rent so much every year). I rented a 2 bedroom house with parking (not a lot here) and a huge yard for $1,300 a month. It wasn't in a rich area but I liked the house and the neighbors. Rent is cheaper elsewhere but you get paid less. Rent stabilization and a livable wage are what people need.

What I'm confused about is how they died. Most homeless people die like that because of the heaters they use, but I don't know why this family would have to use a heater here. It's been cold, but not like in the midwest. At least that's an easy way to go from what I've heard.

[doublepost=1521420141,1521419954][/doublepost]
When I first heard about this I assumed it was a familicide. I hadn’t considered accidental poisoning from running some kind of heating unit in the van to stay warm. But what kind of heating unit can be run without electricity? All I can picture is the little coal hibachi my family sometimes used for cookouts when I was a kid. I’m admittedly not well-versed in portable heating options.

Now that the dad’s rap sheet is coming out and it’s showing he displayed violent behavior in the past, I wonder if familicide should be put back on the table as a theory.
Many homeless use propane heaters and vent the window a little. Check on YouTube, many people living "van life" post their setups there.

they are Hmong, not condoning his actions or record there but there is a lot of history surrounding the area and boys as well as how the Hmong created one of the worst gangs in that area because they were so victimized by other gangs and how they ended up over here in the first place. his rap sheet in no way would mean anything as far as harm to his family unless other circumstances were present am still thinking carbon monoxide or murder from outside sources and because they didn't outright say murder as they gave his history and everything I would say carbon monoxide.
I can't speak for all Hmong every where. But, here in my town they are an amazing group. Helping each other.
I couldn't see the Hmong community turning their backs on this family. Maybe the man and he wouldn't let his wife take the kids and stay with another family.

Latest posts

Back