• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sue sue

Take 6
When people don’t stand with the majority they get bullied.
Jacob Shoemaker, a senior at Hilliard Davidson High School, said he didn’t want to take sides in the gun-control debate consuming the country. If he went outside for the walkout, he said, he would be supporting gun control. If he stayed in the common area of the school, he said, he would be seen as supporting gun violence and disrespecting the 17 lives lost in the Parkland, Fla. High school shooting the month before.

Jacob had met with the school’s principal on Tuesday, a day before the rally, for about an hour to find out what exactly the walkout was supporting. But he said the principal reportedly told him it was for the “students to express themselves.”
This left Jacob wondering if it was a memorial for the lives lost or a show of support for gun control.

He decided, instead, to stay in class for about 20 minutes doing homework after his teacher and fellow classmates left and locked the door.

When they returned, he was slapped with a suspension.
Jacob’s father, Scott Shoemaker, said his son was just trying to stay neutral – and did nothing wrong.

“Politics [doesn’t] belong in the school,” he said. “Students shouldn’t be pressured into taking a side.”
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/1...ing-in-class-during-national-walkout-day.html
[doublepost=1521300483,1521300020][/doublepost]https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...ave-classroom-during-amanda-prestigiacomo?amp

. He decided, instead, to stay in class for about 20 minutes doing homework after his teacher and fellow classmates left and locked the door.
And the teacher for allowing him to stay in a classroom unsupervised!
Is he/she being suspended?

Edit
That's the bigger question here.

Oh FFS!
Leave him alone.
He was expressing his right to just keep his head down and behave.

This belongs in General news seeing as no crime was committed.
Secondly, you can applaud the ones who walked out without condemning those who didn't.
The kid is gonna find out in time neutrality is just another word for doing nothing helpful.

This belongs in General news seeing as no crime was committed.
Secondly, you can applaud the ones who walked out without condemning those who didn't.
The kid is gonna find out in time neutrality is just another word for doing nothing helpful.
He is being punished for not participating that too is freedom of speech.

The school inadvertently created a politicized environment which forced students to make a choice and risk retribution by their fellow classmates. In theory, it sounds like a good idea to let those who stand against gun violence to protest outside and monitor the rest in the auditorium, but those who are protesting outside will not see those inside as students maintaining a neutral stance.

Jacob has already experienced backlash from students, calling him an awful person, a disgusting human being, pro-gun, for not joining the protest outside. These kids made it a black and white issue: you're either with us or against us. No neutrality. This is what Jacob was trying to avoid by not taking a side, and while he clearly expressed his intent to stay neutral, there are kids who cannot see beyond their ideology and vilified him for not joining the protest.

How can the school protect the body of students from harassment and bullying who decided to stay inside? Realistically, they CAN'T. So by making students choose political sides they force everyone into the fighting arena.

Listen to his interview:
http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/03/...spended-not-joining-gun-control-activism-ohio

Jacob had met with the school’s principal on Tuesday, a day before the rally, for about an hour to find out what exactly the walkout was supporting. But he said the principal reportedly told him it was for the “students to express themselves.”
This left Jacob wondering if it was a memorial for the lives lost or a show of support for gun control.

Sounds to me like he got his answer. THe school was intentionally leaving the motivations up to each individual student. If they wanted to use it to protest guns, so be it, if they merely wished to pay tribute to the memory of the victims, so be it.

I'm not sure what this kids gripe was then. Again, this seems very obvious that the school deliberately was trying not to paint a specific picture on the walkout, in order to avoid politizizing shit. Not sure why the kid had an issue with that.

I also don't understand the benefit of staying in the classroom. Would his fellow students not still know that he didnt do the walkout? Those in that classroom when the walkout began would know he didnt accompany them and stayed behind. He might as well have just went to the designated common area for those who wished not to participate.

I also dont understand why the teacher allowed him to wait in the classroom instead of making him go to the common area. Did the teach tell him to go there, and he outright refused? If so, then it's understandable he got in trouble. You can't be violating school rules and teachers commands like that, and for no good reason.

Suspension seems incredibly harsh. I wonder if he has a his tory of behavioral problems. Very bizarre to throw something as severe as a suspension at a kid for this.

That's silly. Staying in the classroom was no different than going to study hall. The school was not forcing him to participate, they gave the very reasonable alternative of going to study hall, which presumably was not designated as 'lovers of gun violence' hall for the day.

Not in locked classrooms
Sure it happens children get left alone in the ISSvroom all the time alone. They get left alone in the GYM locker rooms unsupervised. They get left alone in shop class. They get left alone in the bus. So don’t tell me students are under constant supervision. There were plenty of students who were supposed to be protesting but were trashing stores instead. He didn’t want to participate and he didn’t want to be bullied for his choice. The students who didn’t participate are being bullied and threatened. No one is standing up for them.

He is being punished for not participating that too is freedom of speech.
His logic makes no sense, "go outside and support the protest," or "stay in study hall and not support the protest," but "stay someplace else inside and everything is cool?"

The school simply said, "participate and go outside, or don't participate and go to study hall." The school has some obligation to know where the students are, and allowing kids to populate unsupervised classrooms at random doesn't seem reasonable to me. He's a child, and a student, he was told what his options were, and he chose to ignore them. It seems like the parents just aren't big fans of having discipline applied to their kid when he doesn't listen to direction.

The only people to politicize this story were his parents when they went running to the media.

Last edited:
Ok I read it again and there was a place for him to go he just decided to not cooperate.
Now I’m thinking he isn’t the only one who didn’t participate he’s just the only one who didn’t do as he was told.

Sorry, no. He wasn't being forced to participate. They had an option for kids that didn't want to protest, and he didn't do that. Knowing his options the day before, he could have also gotten a note from his parents and stayed home. He broke the rules and probably knew he'd get in trouble for it. I wonder if his parents put him up to it to make a fuss like this.

I'd feel different if the school just said every protest, but they didn't. He isn't being punished for not protesting, he's being punished for not following rules and being where he was supposed to be. Same would happen if he refused to go to an assembly and stayed in the classroom alone.

Latest posts

Back